It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Fatigue: General and in Sports

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
    JeffReece
    (male)

JeffReece HB User
    Fatigue: General and in Sports

After a 4 month lay off in 2008, I got back into sports in October and noticed a huge difference in my stamina. Initially, I thought that I was out of shape but as time progressed and I increased my activites from 2 to 4/week, my problems continued. So I then thought is was age (I'm 38 now) Was I getting old? Or was it my medical condition. I had a full thyroidectomy (I have no thyroid) and I rely on eltroxin for my fix.

But yesterday it hit me...although I recently got blood work done and my Endo says that I'm in healthy range, I thought ... it must be physical.

In day to day general activities, I am often itchy at night and get someehat tired climbing stairs, 14 steps. When playing sports, I sometimes have a shortness of breath, feel real tired in the thighs and lack stamina. Compared to 6 months ago, I just can last nor catch my breath!

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by JeffReece; 02-20-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Fatigue: General and in Sports

You need to get a copy of your thyroid results:

TSH
    FT3
    FT4

Make sure you share your value and ranges here with us. It sounds like you may be a tad hyperthyroid. Then again there is acidosis, insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue and more that can cause these issues. It is not normal. You have a right to question and you need to look into your actual thyroid hormone levels and balance. Your MD may not know how to do this.

What is your resting heart rate?
    Body temperature?
    Did you have Graves or Hashimoto's before your TT?
    Have you had any blood sugar issues?
    Are the MDs trying to suppress your TSH due to cancer?

MG

Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
    JeffReece
    (male)

JeffReece HB User

Thanks for your help, MG. My Endo is away so I had the receiptionist try to help. Here are the January results:

TSH: .50 Range: .35 to 5.0
    FT4: 22 FT3: 6

What is your resting heart rate? 62
    Body temperature? 35.7 C or 96.26 F
    Did you have Graves or Hashimoto's before your TT? No
    Have you had any blood sugar issues? No
    Are the MDs trying to suppress your TSH due to cancer? Not sure but I had a CT Scan in January and all checked out. To prepare, I was on a low sodium diet for 2 weeks, had 2 injections of Thryogen and swallowed a small amount of Radio-active Iodine.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited by JeffReece; 02-20-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

See if you can get the receptionist to give you the ranges for the Ft3 and Ft4 levels.

That TSH is on the hyperT side, but not OVERTLY hyperT. Most begin to feel some hyperT effects if there TSh falls below 0.6.. in my family. The exceptions are those that are on a T3 supplemental regime and artificially suppressing their TSH and those that have hypopituitarism induced hypothyroidism. My TSH doesn't get above 0.4, but I am hypothyroid. I love when my MD brings her resident MDs in and gets them to attempt a dry run diagnosis. The see my TSH and start immediately in on the you are hyperthyroid mess. TSH watchers make me want to chew nails.

With out the ranges on your FT4 and FT3 results I can not say which is driving you hyperT and if you are dealing with an imbalance due to adrenal or conversion issues. However in comparison the Ft3 looks low compared to the FT4 value. Optimal is 50-80% of normal range. I do not know if you are there or not. I will run down the process of statistical calculations for you if you can get me the respective ranges to go with your Free Ts.

From your symptoms:

1)The HR is normal. This indicates that your T3 levels are not too out of wack for your system.

2)The body temperature is suggestive of hypothyroidism. Anytime a body runs lower than 97.5 for an extended period you are most likely looking at a low T3 issue.

3)You should get a baseline adrenal profile tested if possible. This would include a fasting ACTH and cortisol blood serum test as close to 8 am aas possible. If you are on hormonal supplements (Being male I doubt you are on estrogen/progesterone ) or steroidal supplements for anti-inflammatory/immune issues then you will need to wait until you are off said supplements for 4 weeks to give you the most accurate results.

4) With the thyroid gone the only reason to test for Graves/Hashimoto's is to determine the source of your issue and whether your off spring are going to be at increased risk for developing the same issue. Also if your thyroid issues were AI in origin it means that you are at a greater risk for developing OTHER AI conditions. My MDs believes in checking antibody levels every 6-12 months if the thyroid is still present. After a TT or RAi my MDs check levels once a year for approx. five years to determine the rate of degradation and production of antibodies declines.

5) So your MD has tested you via a GTT (gloucose tolerance test), and fasting insulin and glucose testing? IGF (insulin growth factor)? Sometimes the insulin/blood sugar reaction is harder to pin down. I have been hypoglycemic for years due to insulin resistance, but because my MD NEVER did a GTT or IGF.. it wasn't caught til I detected the PCOS anomolie looked and my symptom set and requested the testing for insulin resistance and hypoglycemia..

6) So your thyroid was removed because of benign goiter? It sounds like the scan was a radioactive uptake scan. they were testing to see if there was any other active residual thyroid tissue in your body. By checking out they determined that there was no left over functioning thyroid tissue.

I am suspecting that you are a tad high in FT4. Your FT3 may be low normal. If this is the case you may be dealing with elevated RT3 production and need to change from a pure T4 medication to a T4/T3 combination. That will be a fight for you, but I have heard of some people in Toronto getting Armour/cytomel prescribed.

MG

Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, MG, long time no see,huh? I stayed away this forum just for giving me a breath from hypo things.

Jeffreece, Your body temp is very low if your hypo has been properly treated. You are in toronto, so you could check the Wilson's syndrome's website for "alternative doctors" who have been trained by Mr. Wilson to treat the low metalbolism/temp in Toronto (I found quite a few there, more than other cities/provinces. But they charge quite a lot per hour and the service isn't covered by OHIP) Good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
    JeffReece
    (male)

JeffReece HB User

Thank you CuteJenny77 and MKG.

You most likely heard it before, I get more info from you in one email than my Endo in a year! Yep, I had a benign nodual so hence the radio active treatment.

The ranges for my FT's are as follows:

FT3: Range 3 - 7 ... my score 6
    FT4: Range 9 - 23 ... my score 22

Also, why am I so itchy lately and get tired thighs climbing stairs. Could it be weather related? I read that it was a side effect of being hyperT.

Would it be wise to take my Eltroxin at bed time vs an hour before breakfast for better absorption? Also, drop the dose from 187 to 150 to get more in the middle of the TSH range?

Last edited by JeffReece; 02-25-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The ranges for my FT's are as follows:

FT3: Range 3 - 7 ... my score 6 You are 75% of normal here.
    FT4: Range 9 - 23 ... my score 22 You are 92.9% of normal here.

You are slightly over medicated in my opinion. You have a mild Ft4 and Ft3 imbalance as well. Your Ft3 is 18% lower than your Ft4. This indicates two things.. you are either hyperadrenal.. which is doubtful and VERY rare or you are converting some of your T4 into RT3. Many do the RT3 thing. Two out of every three actually. Treatment? Cut back on T4 and add a touch of T3 to your treatment regime. Your problem will be getting T3 in the Canadian health system. they do not believe in it.

Also, why am I so itchy lately and get tired thighs climbing stairs. Could it better weather related? I read that it was a side effect of being hyperT.
    When T4 levels are above your optimal level you itch, your joints ache, you can retain water and swell like a balloon... and a few other unpleasant once in a lifetime experiences. So I think the muscle and itch issues are your T4 levels are too high.

MG

Closed Thread