It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• So what do y'all think of these results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
    alphabetsoup
    (female)

alphabetsoup HB User
    So what do y'all think of these results?

Hi all...

I know y'all aren't doctors...nor do you play one (or any) on TV

But I just got my thyroid results from my GP and there are a couple that seem like they are a little low or high, so I thought I'd ask for feedback.

I 'feel' hypothyroid...my doc says things are 'normal'.

Here are my results...

TSH (0.676) reference range: 0.450-4.500uIU/ml
    Thyroxine/T4 (10.4) reference range 4.5-12.0 ug/dL
    T3 Uptake (32) reference range 24-39
    Free Thyroxine Index (3.3) reference range 1.2-4.9

Also they did a Hemoglobin A1c which was 5.6, a healthy adult (not diabetic) should be 4.8-5.9...I feel this might be a bit high.

So...thoughts, ideas, etc....?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: So what do y'all think of these results?

Your testing is incomplete. You were given the older not as accurate tests. The TSh doesn't suggest overt hypoT but it can not rule out all forms.

What symptoms do you have? List them from most severe to annoying...

You need Free T3 and Free T4 levels run. You were not given a single hormone level test that has less than a 20% error involved. Also your actual T3 levels were never tested. If the MD says we did a T3 Uptake. That is NOT a MEASUREMENT OF T3. It measures how much of your T4 is being taken up to move on to T3 synthesis. You do not KNOW if it is actually converted in to T3 and what your T3 levels is from this test. *sigh* You also need to test for the common hypothyroid generating antibodies - TPOAb and TGAb.. Hashimoto's thyroiditis the main source of hypothyroidism that loves to hide itself early on until a smart MD test for the actual antibodies.

Your HA1c is 72%. This is optimal in range and not too high. Other tests that might be beneficial if you feel symptoms with meals are the GTT (glucose tolerance test) and IGF (Insulin growth factor) tests.

Other hypothyroid mimics come from poor nutrition and malabsorption metabolic effects. Low/suboptimal ferritin, B12, vit D can cause many hypothyroid symptoms.

So I would go in and request additional confirmation testing:
    Thyroid:
    TPOAb and TGAb
    FT3
    FT4

Hypothyroid mimics:
    Ferritin
    B12
    vit D

Blood sugar:
    GTT
    IGF

This will tell you if it is your thyroid or if you need to keep looking elsewhere...

MG

Closed Thread