It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Ok!! Got Labs Please Help?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    Ok!! Got Labs Please Help?????

Ok I got the copy of my labs. My endo seems to think I also have PCOS where as the dr that did these labs initally thought it was something going on with adrenals. Now she is leaning towards PCOS as well per endos DX. As for me I am LOST and confused and just really need help...

I am currently taking levo 125mcg plus 15 mg armour as well. RAI due to graves in Feb 2007.. New labs are as follows....

TSH 2.592 (0.350-5.500) still seems on the high side to me
    FT3 3.0 ( 2.3-4.2)
    FT4 1.23 ( 0.80-1.80) still seems a tad on the low side to me

FSH 11.5
    LH 22.87
    TESTOSTERONE 114.3 HIGH ( 14-80)
    FREE TESTOSTERONE 0.22 ( 0.12-0.66)
    TESTOSTERONE, % FREE (CALC) 0.19 LOW ( 0.20-0.70)

So any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    Re: Ok!! Got Labs Please Help?????

Anyone with any thoughts or ideas??

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User

Katkat,

I'm sorry, I can't help you interpret the tests. But I CAN tell you as a fellow PCOS sufferer that high testosterone levels are DEFINITELY a sign of PCOS. Symptoms include abnormal hair growth, irregular and/or heavy cycles, skipped periods, infertility and weight gain. Many of these symptoms can also be from thyroid issues. I really believe the two are linked. I was prescribed Metformin to help battle the PCOS issues (PCOS causes insulin resistance) waaaay before I found out I had thyroid issues. I have not taken the Met regularly since my daughter was born 3 years ago. My TT for cancer was in June, followed by RAI in Aug. My endo doesn't want to put me back on Met until all my cancer is officially gone. In March, we will see where we are and he will also run a PCOS panel on me. It will be interesting to see where my testosterone is at now. Anyway, I highly suggest getting a PCOS book to read, there are many good ones out there. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Ok thank you for the great info!! I will be on the look out for a book to read also. My main issues that really bother me are the FATIGUE sometimes extreme and the body aches and weakness in my bones and body. Not sure what that is caused by if it is the thyroid meds, PCOS, or something else going on..

Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

katkatdd;

Ok I got the copy of my labs. My endo seems to think I also have PCOS where as the dr that did these labs initally thought it was something going on with adrenals. Now she is leaning towards PCOS as well per endos DX. As for me I am LOST and confused and just really need help...

Another PCOS, IR, RHG, Hashimoto's, hypoadrenal sufferer here. I will break down what I pick up in my diagnositic phase. Well PCOS is a bit difficult to pin down. You have to look at symptoms, lab work AND uterine ultrasound results. The UUS is uncomfortable, but only 30 minutes max. Blood work that supports PCOS - High Testosterone, Estrogen, DHEA with low progesterone, suboptimal cortisol and aldosterone. Insulin resistance often goes hand in hand with it. You can determine this by IGF tests. If these are high or right at the top of normal range... IR is probable. Then if you have PCOS and IR you need to look into the triple threat. Reactive hypoglycemia. This and the IR could cause your fatigue and bone and muscle issues. To determine RHG you need to have a GTT (Glucose tolerance test) done.

Now treatment? Change in dietary habit and ratio for the RHG and a glucophage like metformin XR for the PCOS and IR. It is easily do able and results in quick results. I felt better in a matter of days versus weeks. If your glucophage dosage is too low you will feel an onset of your old symptoms in 10-14 days. They prefer to bump you up in 500 mg increments with metformin. I am on 1500 now and think I am finally stable.

I am currently taking levo 125mcg plus 15 mg armour as well. RAI due to graves in Feb 2007.. New labs are as follows....

TSH 2.592 (0.350-5.500) still seems on the high side to me
    FT3 3.0 ( 2.3-4.2)
    FT4 1.23 ( 0.80-1.80) still seems a tad on the low side to me
    Your thyroid is still not optimal here. Your are at 36.8% for T3 and 43% for your T4. Both are low, but they are balanced so your Armour to synthroid ratio is good. have you been through menopause? I don't think you have.. if so you need to be atl least 50% in Ft4 and Ft3. Your pituitary gland is supporting that with the TSH of 2.6. Optimal TSH is 1 on ONLY T4 meds. Adding the Armour is going to suppress the TSH even more.

FSH 11.5
    LH 22.87
    LH:FSH ratio when greater than 2 can be another indicator of PCOS. You are right at 2. You MD must be going by the high testosterone, physical symptoms, and the near 2 LH/FSH facotr to diagnose PCOS. For confirmation you should have an uterine ultrasound performed.

Get the DHEA, estrogen, GTT, and IGF tests as well.

MG

Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! HAHA.. That really helps me allot. I have an appt on the 5th with my PCP so I will take my labs in hand WITH this information as well and see if they can have these other tests done.

I try to eat pretty good. I take my vitamins and I do notice when I start feeling real dizzy and real horrid if I eat I feel a little better... I am wondering if I need to bump up my Levon to 137mcg. I have a bunch that my endo prescribed to me awhile back.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

The diet for reactive hypoglycemia is a lot of fiber in every meal AND you should eat 5-6 small meals a day. A LARGE meal for a RHG patient is like a 1/4 cup of rice with 1/2 cup of veggies and 4 oz of meat. Minimize sugar intake, potatoes, breads any preprocessed high starch and carb food that is easily broken down into glucose. If we exceed a certain glucose/fiber/protein ratio then we get an insulin spike with in 45 min to an hour and a half... then there is a resultant blood sugar crash between 1.5-2 hours. If you are fasting, your fine, but as soon as you start to eat you have to keep putting it in every 2-3 hours in small quantities to prevent blood sugar crashes.

You can probably bump to 137 mcgs, but it may throw the Ft3 out of balance. You would probably benefit from 30 of Armour instead of jumping in T4 alone.

MG

Closed Thread