It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• swollen throat but thyroid ultrasound did not show anything

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
    johnmuncaster
    (male)

johnmuncaster HB User
    swollen throat but thyroid ultrasound did not show anything

This is my first post here and I would like to share what I have been experiencing since September 2008. My goal here is to see if anyone else has experienced these symptoms and could shed some light on what might be happening. Near the end of September I started a sore throat and figured it would go away within a week or so but it is now February 2009 and it has only got worse.

On October 17th I went to the clinic and explained to the physician that I felt like I was choking; the doctor told me I had an infection in my throat and prescribed me Amoxicillin and Benzydamine. Once I finished the treatment my systems had no dissipated and now my throat was feeling numb so I went back to the clinic on November 2nd. This time I refreshed the physician about the choking and numbness in my throat and what I he previously prescribed and told me that I probably needed something a little stronger so he prescribed Biaxin XL and Benzydamine. On December 19th I returned to the clinic and a different physician was on-call so I explained what had been going on with my throat and he told me that I had a Peritonsillar abscess and prescribed me Tetracycline pills which I was to open, mix with water and gargle. This treatment ended on December 29th and my throat felt no different so I returned to the clinic again and this time the physician diagnosed me with having a nasal polyp and prescribed me Cetrizine and Avamyst. I had a reaction to the Avamyst where my tongue turned brown and my tongue became inflamed and numb so the physician replaced it with Nazonex. Needless to say these medications had no effect so I returned to the clinic and saw the same physician this time he prescribed me with Amoxicillin and Nasonex which was on January 19th. At this point it felt like I was starting right back at the beginning and decided to go to the hospital emergency department. The on-call physician made a few phone calls and got me an appointment with an ENT in 2 days. The ENT used a scope and did not see anything out of the ordinary in my throat and made a referral to get a thyroid ultrasound. I received the results of the ultrasound on February 24 and the outcome showed nothing. The doctor then told me that I may be stressed and this could be my way of dealing with it. I requested for more tests to be completed such as CT or MRI scan but she denied these tests. I finally though that I was going to get some answers to what was going on and in one quick swift I was basically told me that there was nothing else she could do and sent me on my way. What I donít understand is why a healthcare professional dismiss me like that especially since this has been an ongoing symptom since September.

Here are my full symptoms that I have been experiencing:
    Choking sensation (but no food is getting stuck), numbness, feels like I have a lump in my throat,
    I constantly have to clear my throat and itís hard to swallow. I have never had headaches but lately I have been experiencing headaches on a daily basis.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have described here and if anyone has any advice on what I can do to get more tests performed because there is definitely something wrong but it seems like the physicianís think itís all in my head.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: swollen throat but thyroid ultrasound did not show anything

Sounds like you are suffering, I wish they would help you figure out what's going on. If you had a goiter/enlarged thyroid, I think it would have shown in the ultrasound. Maybe you can ask the doctor's office to tell you the measurements?

Also, just a stab in the dark---my sister had constant throat clearing and pain/infections. It turned out to be reflux from stomach acids, and she took prilosec, (also pepcid initially) and she felt better within a few weeks.

I hope you figure out what it is and feel better soon.

Last edited by Reece; 02-26-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
    jshanl
    (male)

jshanl HB User

I had the same problem as you. The ultrasound does not really show anything but the front of the thyroid.I have Hashimotos and my thyroid swelled so much it was pinching my thorax against my spinal cord. Last month I had the right side removed and now I finally am pain free,headache free and the chocking feeling is gone.I just hope the left side does not have the same problem.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
    johnmuncaster
    (male)

johnmuncaster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Sounds like you are suffering, I wish they would help you figure out what's going on. If you had a goiter/enlarged thyroid, I think it would have shown in the ultrasound. Maybe you can ask the doctor's office to tell you the measurements?

Also, just a stab in the dark---my sister had constant throat clearing and pain/infections. It turned out to be reflux from stomach acids, and she took prilosec, (also pepcid initially) and she felt better within a few weeks.

I hope you figure out what it is and feel better soon.

You bring up an interesting point about acid reflux. As far as I know I've never had heartburn or buring sensation in my throat prior to my current throat problem. It seems like my parents family doctor is accepting new patients so I will be making an appointment with the doctor. Hopefully having a family doctor will get this issue with my throat resolved.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
    johnmuncaster
    (male)

johnmuncaster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jshanl View Post
    I had the same problem as you. The ultrasound does not really show anything but the front of the thyroid.I have Hashimotos and my thyroid swelled so much it was pinching my thorax against my spinal cord. Last month I had the right side removed and now I finally am pain free,headache free and the chocking feeling is gone.I just hope the left side does not have the same problem.
    What tests did you have after the ultrasound which helped diagnose you with Hashimotos? It's really isn't fun constantly having this pain in the neck. Happy to hear that you are feeling better now.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

The blood tests that can diagnose Hashimoto's are TPOAb and TGAb. These have an 80 to 60% positive identification rate of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. There is a small chance of getting a false negative result, but the blood tests fork for most people. I had all of your symptoms with my Hashimoto's and then some before starting thyroid supplementation. The MDs in Canada will also recognize the lab codes I gave you. Do not settle for the older less accurate tests. You can get these tests run. You may have to chew on a few ankles though...

MG

Old 03-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
    Sallyndh
    (female)

Sallyndh HB User

I have been suffering with my throat for 2 years. I finally was diagnosed with Hashimotos and am on Synthroid but the throat thing has not resolved itself. It started with feeling like a lump but now its more of the feeling of an aggravated throat constantly. I really thing its related to thyroid inflamation but cant get endo to agree. Going back to talk to him again. Also, when listening to my voice message today, realized I have a hoarse voice...??? My ent tried that whole Prilosec thing but I stopped after three weeks cuz i didnt feel i was going anywhere with it. My eustachian tubes also feel blocked with gland sensitivity.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
    jshanl
    (male)

jshanl HB User

Sorry I just saw thgis question. The antibody test is what confirmed me having Hashimotos.The normal level is below 35 I was at 486

Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
    honney
    (female)

honney HB User

ive got the same feeling in my throat..but mine seems to be going away then comming back stonger....if it does come back and they wont do anything... the best thing for it so far that ive found is a hot drink. it soothes the swallowing part a little bit

Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
    ladybug101
    (female)

ladybug101 HB User

I to, have had scope and thyroid ultrasound. nothing found. I am now being sent to a endocrinology. apointment not till may. maybe I,ll have news to help others. ladybug101

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

I also have problems choking, my MD is suspicious of thyroid disease however I am wondering, do you have you vision problems at all?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
    wildwelshman22
    (male)

wildwelshman22 HB User

Here are my full symptoms that I have been experiencing:
    Choking sensation (but no food is getting stuck), numbness, feels like I have a lump in my throat,
    I constantly have to clear my throat and itís hard to swallow. I have never had headaches but lately I have been experiencing headaches on a daily basis.

Hi,

I've got exactly the same symtoms as you.

One morning i woke up and felt like there was a lump in my throat and also the veins in my mouth were enlarged. So i went to the doctors in the morning he had a look and said he couldn't see anything wrong. If the problem persists then i should return.

I thought to myse

lf it's okay it will go away eventually. It's now been a year and i can still feel the lump in my throat so i went to the doctors today and told him whats wrong.

He thinks it could be one of three things that are causing the problem:

1) Smoking could be the cause

2) My tonsills are enlarged

3) My thyroid

He's booked me in for a blood test on the 26th and i'll get a letter to go and get an ultrasound to see if anything abnormal comes up.

Weirdly he's said for the moment to take lensip so i'll take his advise but obviously i want to get to the route of the problem because it is a little bit worrying when it's concerning your throat.

If anything come's back which may be an answer as to what is causing my problem i will let you know because i've suffered with this for a year now and i really want to sort it out as i'm sure you do.

Any comments will be appreciated thank you (:

Closed Thread