It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• tsh of 19

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
    linda001
    (female)

linda001 HB User
    tsh of 19

tsh of 19 what does this mean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
    devonbay
    (female)

devonbay HB User
    Re: tsh of 19

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linda001 View Post
    tsh of 19 what does this mean
    Hi Linda,
    lt means that you have an underactive thyroid and are hypothyroid you will probably be treated with Levothyroxine.
    Do you have any symptoms and have you been given any meds yet?

Your TSH will come down over the next few weeks and months and hopefully you will start to feel better. Most people feel better when their TSH is below 1

Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
    SHARON1952
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

hello i live in england so mabie you could help with my lab results i am on 100 mcg thyroxine my tsh is still 3.8 lab says its within normal ranges but i am still so ill should i go up on my thyroxine i am asking you because you live in england as the tsh test is different in other countrys but everyone on this board has been very helpful to me but i realy would like to know the english lab ranges

Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
    devonbay
    (female)

devonbay HB User

Hi Sharon,
    Sorry to hear that you still feel unwell. How long have you been diagnosed?

ln my layman's opinion l would say that you need an increase in meds if you have been on that dose for more than 8/10 weeks and still feel ill. Most people feel better when their TSH is 1 or under.

ln the UK and the rest of the world by the looks of it, the doctors rely purely on the TSH results and ignore how the patient feels. This is why there are lots of informative sites like this one, if doctors learned from their patients we wouldn't need to trawl the internet.

l digress, l'm sorry to say, Sharon, that your case is quite common.

Have you joined any UK forums at all?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
    SHARON1952
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thank you i can not find any english boards can you tell me something else i would like to find out is it common to have a fast heartbeat with hypo-t as i have and am a bit scared to raise my doze when i was first told i was hypo-t i did have a very fast heartbeat and doc put me on atenolol but it has came back in the last couple of weeks i have been on 100mcg thyroxine for about 12 weeks and my blood was 0.18 the last test then it went up to 3.18 on the same dozage thank you for you help i have been hypo for 8 months and started on 25 mcg till going up 25 mcg every 6 weeks could you also tell me some of the symptoms you had if its not to much bother and what dozage you are on

Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
    devonbay
    (female)

devonbay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHARON1952 View Post
    thank you i can not find any english boards can you tell me something else i would like to find out is it common to have a fast heartbeat with hypo-t as i have and am a bit scared to raise my doze when i was first told i was hypo-t i did have a very fast heartbeat and doc put me on atenolol but it has came back in the last couple of weeks i have been on 100mcg thyroxine for about 12 weeks and my blood was 0.18 the last test then it went up to 3.18 on the same dozage thank you for you help i have been hypo for 8 months and started on 25 mcg till going up 25 mcg every 6 weeks could you also tell me some of the symptoms you had if its not to much bother and what dozage you are on
    Hi Sharon,
    lt's not common to have a fast heart rate with hypothyroidism, it's usually associated with hypErthyroidism. lt could be that as your thyroid fails it is still managing to put out some hormones occasionally and this is what is making your heart rate speed up. This could also be why your TSH is still going up on the same dose of medication.

l was diagnosed 3 years ago now and l was on Levothyroxine first but it made me very ill, after trying a few other meds l am now on Armour, 2 1/2 gerains.
    My symptoms before l was diagnosed were, l was cold, hair loss, bald patches on my head. Awful migraines, weakness, l couldn't get the top off a bottle, depression. l had end stage thyroid failure, my thyroid was completely destroyed.
    l hope that helps you, Sharon, if l can answer anything else just ask, hon.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
    SHARON1952
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thank you i had been thinking a bit about the fast heartrate i also had an idea you would only get that if you were hyper-t but i had been going though a realy stressful time just before i was told i was hypo i did write on another post last night so i am thinking the fast heartrate may be due to that the doctor put me up another 25 mcg when i woke up this morning i could feel every pulse in my body but am feeling a little more focused just have to wait and see my first tsh was 9.4 and somone did say my thyroid wwas dead or dying if you have a look at my other post last night i have wrote everything in it the fast heartrate just started about that time glad at least to hear you got sorted out

Last edited by SHARON1952; 02-28-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Closed Thread