It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Gaining weight!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
    mlukic
    (female)

mlukic HB User
    Gaining weight!!!

I have a thyroid nodule that was causing me to be on the borderline of being hyperthyroid. All I know was that my tsh was at about .15. Over the last three years I have my levels checked, as I have been putting on weight and not able to lose it. I have gained 20 pounds in 2 1/2 years. I workout regularly (3-4 times/week), walk about 5 miles/day at work (am a cocktail server and used to take a pedometer with me daily), and do cardio at least twice/week. I used to be able to eat 1800 to 2000 calories/day, and now it seems that if I eat even 1500 I put on weight. Last year I restricted my calories to 1000-1200/day, did cardio 4 times per week, plus walking the 5 to 7 miles at work, and only lost 4 pounds in a month. Does this seem normal? My TSH levels are now .38, my T4 is 1.11, and my T3 is 2.92. My doctor says this falls within the normal range. I am always cold now and am depressed. I felt so much better when my TSH was .15. My blood pressure has always been low, about 110 over 70, has remained the same. Cholesterol is excellent too. Can anyone help my and advise me as to what I can do? I literally cannot enjoy food anymore for fear that I am going to put on more weight. I am not fat, but I have to keep buying bigger and bigger clothes. I am worried that if I don't arrest my weight gain I'll be pretty heavy. Any advice and are my levels truly okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
    PRIDSC
    (male)

PRIDSC HB User
    Re: Gaining weight!!!

I may not understand the TSH levels properly but here goes. I am in the process of going hypothyroid for a radioactive iodine test and I could have sworn that I could not have the test until my tSH got up to 35. If that is correct, then that should contribute materially to the weight gain. Had thyroid removed in October and walk/run 4 miles daily for the last 5 yrs (5 dys a week) Since my tsh got up to 35 have been unable to conduct daily workout as normal and have gained weight. BEfore this all started and I was not worried about thyroid, I was doing the same distance as I am now. By raising the intensity of the cardio portion and substituting artificial sweetners whenever possible and using diet soft drinks in lieu of the real thing, the weight came off and stayed off until the last couple of week.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlukic View Post
    My TSH levels are now .38, my T4 is 1.11, and my T3 is 2.92.
    We need to have the lab's range for each test to comment. Also need to know whether the tests were for free or total T4/T3.

Did you have T4 and T3 tests done when your TSH was .15?

Last edited by midwest1; 02-26-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
    mlukic
    (female)

mlukic HB User

Midwest1, I think it was for the free not total T3/T4. I see my doctor Friday. I think I only had the T3/T4 checked after I started gaining weight. Can my TSH level be in range of normal and the T3/T4 be out of normal range and cause a weight gain? I also find myself to be more irritable than I normally am and feel down more often.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
    mlukic
    (female)

mlukic HB User

Midwest1, I think the test was for the free not total T3/T4. I see my doctor Friday and will ask to be sure. I know it was done originally back in 2003. I lost weight, and when I started gaining weight again they ran it again. Can those levels be off and cause weight gain while theTSH is normal?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I still need to know the lab's range for the T4/T3 tests. Where your results fall within those ranges determines your thyroid status. On the typical ranges for free T4 and FT3, those results would be low-normal; but labs use various ranges, so without knowing yours, that's just a guess. Low-normal levels - even within range - can cause symptoms. Most folks' FTs never fall below normal range before a hypothyroid diagnosis is made and treatment begins.

But your labs are old. You need new ones run to see where you stand now. The old labs were odd-looking, in that your TSH seemed very low for the FTs being low-normal. Things could be very different now. Insist on tests for TSH, free T4, free T3, and the thyroid antibodies - TPO and Tg.

Let us know what the doc says!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
    mlukic
    (female)

mlukic HB User

Thanks midwest1. I talked to the nurse at my doctors office. These are the ranges she gave me: for T4, .54-1.5, my result this time was 1.11 and the one last fall was 1.07. For T3 the range was 2.3-3.4 and my result was 2.92 and 2.77 before. The TSH range was .38-4.35 and mine was .5 and .38 before. I hope this makes since. I see my doc on friday and will ask about the antibodies test. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

This is a perfect example of why we have to see lab ranges to know where results fit into them. Now that you've supplied those, the picture gets clearer.

According to the ranges you've given, your levels are not bad. FT4 is at 59% of its range; FT3 is at 56% (with the 2.92 result). So they aren't really as low as they would be on my lab's range. They're about where an average thyroid-healthy person's would be.

I won't say it's impossible, but I'd be surprised if your thyroid was to blame for your complaints. I hope you can figure it out though... How disappointing to work so hard at weight control without a good result.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Weight gain may not be the thyroid. You should also look into insulin resistance and PCOS. Those two pack a punch that can pack on the pounds no matter your thyroid function and activity level. Look up the symptoms for both, you may meet the criteria. Do you get the cold sensation and shakes 1-2 hours after eating? I do it is a side effect of my IR and reactive hypoglycemia. The main tests you need to look at this are LH, FSH, testosterone, estrogen, DHEA, IGF(Insulin growth factor), and a GTT(glucose tolerance test).

I still think getting the Hashimoto's and Graves antibodies checked is a excellent idea. The TSH is lower than I would suspect given your Ft levels. The actual lab codes for the antibody tests are:
    TPOAb and TGAb - Hashimoto's indicators
    TSI and TRAb - Graves indicators

I had issues with weight retention and gain when my thyroid hormones were 45-50% of normal range. It turned out I had some additional cling ons added to my gut.. literally. The lower TSH hints that something could be going on.. so test and rule it out. But I would also look into testing for reactive hypoglycemia, PCOS and insulin resistance.. they tend to go hand in hand.

MG

Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
    mlukic
    (female)

mlukic HB User

Thanks midwest1. I appreciate all your help. Maybe I am eating more than I think. Thats the only thing I can think of. I guess I've got to try harder. Thanks again!

Closed Thread