It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Borderline?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
    sicknote
    (female)

sicknote HB User
    Borderline?

When i was about 16 i went to my GP with a variety of symptoms, mainly being tired all the time, being cold all the time and i was very pale. I had blood tests and he said my thyroid levels were "borderline underactive" but because i was young he recommended six monthly checks to see if they leveled out. I had six monthly checks until i was 19. At this point my symptoms were no better, and neither were my blood tests but they still said it was too borderline to do anything. So i decided there was no point in continuing to have the tests as they obviously weren't going to do anything.

My symptoms over the last few months have got a lot worse, to the point where i'm barely able to do my job properly. I went back to the GP and had blood taken yesterday. I've got a follow up appointment on Wednesday to discuss my results.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been told they are borderline, and if so what did your GP do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
    devonbay
    (female)

devonbay HB User
    Re: Borderline?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sicknote View Post
    Can i simply ask my GP for a copy? (I'm in the UK). I will ask him for the labs ranges, and what my exact results are on wednesday.
    Hi Sicknote,
    l'm from the UK and you are entitled to a copy of your test results.
    Like you l was told l was borderline for 2 years and so l stopped taking the tests. l was eventually diagnosed when my thyroid was end stage.

The thing is the UK has recently changed it's criteria for diagnosing Hypothyroidism. lt used to be a TSH of 5, l think it was, but only last week they changed it to a TSH 10.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
    sicknote
    (female)

sicknote HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by devonbay View Post
    The thing is the UK has recently changed it's criteria for diagnosing Hypothyroidism. lt used to be a TSH of 5, l think it was, but only last week they changed it to a TSH 10.
    Seriously? Thats ridiculous I really think they need to take into account symptoms as well as TSH levels. Well i haven't got my results yet but i would guess i'm fighting a losing battle on getting any diagnosis. We'll see on Wednesday.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
    taters
    (female)

taters HB User

They have to give you a copy of results, but they *can* charge you an admin fee, I've never had that problem - you should be able to just call and ask the receptionist for the numbers, that's what I've always done.

My TSH was around 3 when I managed to get a thyroxine trial, it took a lot of badgering but my GP did it in the end to shut me up (he said that if he gave me a trial and it didn't help would I drop the thyroid idea - turned out I felt a load better, ha!). It really depends on your GP and what your numbers are, they have just changed things, but I think it's still at your GP's discretion.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
    devonbay
    (female)

devonbay HB User

Quote:
    Seriously? Thats ridiculous I really think they need to take into account symptoms as well as TSH levels. Well i haven't got my results yet but i would guess i'm fighting a losing battle on getting any diagnosis. We'll see on Wednesday.
    Your TSH can change very quickly so don't lose hope yet. lf you have to have another blood test in the future make the appointment for as early in the morning as you can. That is when your TSH is at it's highest. Good luck.

The new guidelines for GPs may not have been implemnted yet, they hadn't been last week, so it may be that the TSH of 5 is still valid for a little while.
    Once these new regulations are in force there won't be any room for our doctor's discretion, l'm sorry to say. Doctors will only be able to prescribe T4 (levo) so no scripts for T3 from a GP anymore. ln exceptional cases endos will be able to prescribe a combination of T4/T3. not T3 by itself and no Armour thyroid at all.
    Diagnosis will only be on blood test results, not symptoms.
    These regulations have been published by the British Thyroid *** and can be found on the internet.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
    sicknote
    (female)

sicknote HB User

Thank you for your replies. I'll certainly ask for a copy of my results on Wed. I think i'm just worried that its going to be the same as every other time, and that i'll get no actual resolution from this appointment. It's at the point where I'm 21, all my friends go out and i'm just too exhausted. I work in a hospital and my patients tell me I look worse than they do! My work is seriously suffering to the point where I have to refrain from doing things because it would compromise the patients safety. It's beyond something i can just live with and cope with. I'm placing all my hopes on this doctor and I just think it's going to result in nothing more than before.

But, I'm trying to keep positive. Wednesday could bring a positive result and I'm trying to keep that mindset.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
    devonbay
    (female)

devonbay HB User

Quote:
    Thank you for your replies. I'll certainly ask for a copy of my results on Wed. I think i'm just worried that its going to be the same as every other time, and that i'll get no actual resolution from this appointment. It's at the point where I'm 21, all my friends go out and i'm just too exhausted. I work in a hospital and my patients tell me I look worse than they do! My work is seriously suffering to the point where I have to refrain from doing things because it would compromise the patients safety. It's beyond something i can just live with and cope with. I'm placing all my hopes on this doctor and I just think it's going to result in nothing more than before.

But, I'm trying to keep positive. Wednesday could bring a positive result and I'm trying to keep that mindset.
    Hi Sicknote,
    ls it possible you could see someone privately if needs be? There are a few good docs in the UK who could help. You would have to buy your meds privately though.
    Let us know how you get on on Wednesday.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
    sicknote
    (female)

sicknote HB User

Just back from GP. Blood tests were normal. TSH was 4.78, above the labs readings for normal, but GP said that it was "compensating hypothyroidism". My body is compensating for it and there's no need for treatment. FT4 normal as well. So just back in 6 months to test again.

He did offer antidepressants, but otherwise nothing.

Last edited by sicknote; 03-04-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
    taters
    (female)

taters HB User

Quote:
    Just back from GP. Blood tests were normal. TSH was 4.78, above the labs readings for normal, but GP said that it was "compensating hypothyroidism". My body is compensating for it and there's no need for treatment. FT4 normal as well. So just back in 6 months to test again.

He did offer antidepressants, but otherwise nothing.
    arrgh!
    this makes me so angry
    you should ask what is wrong with you then, if it's not your thyroid causing these symptoms... and see if (s)he'll trial you on T4 to see if it alleviates the symptoms. I felt like death with a TSH of 2.8.

One argument that helped with my GP was that if person A is normal with a TSH of 1 and person B is normal at 5, then person A would be as ill at 5 as B would be at 9. I also stressed that I had no desire to push any of my levels out of the normal range.

I haven't yet seen how the new restrictions affect treatment with T4, but it's worth a try. My private doctor is unable to treat with T3 or Armour due to them, but you might have some luck getting T4 privately if you wanted to go down that route.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

DO you have a family history of thyroid dysfunction? Insist on Hashimoto's thyroiditis testing. Autoimmune thyroiditis has treatment recommendation to prevent goiter growth and development. In women treatment is needed in the case of childbearing difficulties and complications.

In the US the normal TSH range is 0.3-2.5 now. I do not KNOW why the UK ranges are going back to the dark ages. It hasn't been an upper limit of 10 for almost 25 years.. COME ON!

There are exceptions to the TSH rule. It deals with secondary hypothyroidism and subclinical hypothyroidism based on subnormal range T4 and T3 values. What was the value and range of your T4.

Hypothyroid induced depression will not be relieved from ADs. You need to treat the source of your issues. In the US with any MD up on the A A C E recommendations from 1990' forward you would be labeled hypothyroid. If you have Hashimoto's antibodies you may be able to get treatment. Argue for TPOAb and TGAb testing.

MG

Closed Thread