It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Approaching menopause - dosage reduced?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User
    Approaching menopause - dosage reduced?

Can someone tell me if my doctor is right in trying to reduce my synthroid from .137 mg to .125? She says staying too high will make me osteoporotic.... Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm 51 and not yet perimenopausal....cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Approaching menopause - dosage reduced?

Thyroid cancer survivors must have their TSH suppressed and their free T4 sustained at slightly high levels in order to prevent the possibility of reoccurrence. Studies support the fact that they are no more likely to suffer osteoporosis than the rest of the population. So, in a nutshell, your MD is mistaken.

I bet she's dosing you according to your TSH, which is an inaccurate way of doing it. She should be watching your free T4 and free T3. If neither is more than 70% of its lab range, your dosage should be left alone. Period. You are in more danger from heart disease, mental dysfunction, and weight gain related to the hypoT itself than you are from the optimal treatment of it.

If you have to, arm yourself with the study reports available at PubMed and Medline Plus to show her you aren't accepting her word willy-nilly without finding the truth for yourself.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Thanks, this is what I thought..I don't have tyroid cancer, just hashitmoto's... my hands are always cold in winter...yes, she's watching the TSH. ... I'll have to see another doc... thanks for your help...cathy

Last edited by cathy57; 03-02-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
    braveheart226
    Veteran
    (female)

braveheart226 HB User

I'm menopausal, also taking 1.37, and my endo simply told me to add a daily calcium.
    She likes my blood numbers (I have Hashimotos) and doesn't see any reason to decrease me...
    Good luck to you!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You need to see where you are TSH, Ft3, and Ft4 wise. Only decrease dosage when you have multiple FT3/Ft4 readings that are high optimal to coincide with a low TSH. Dropping your dosage because you are getting older is.. humm.. not a polite way to say it... STUPID.

MG

Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Thanks guys, my numbers are only half way in the range, not in the upper 70%... this is when I take my med after the blood test, not before... so it means I should increase my meds higher than .137mg ....to more like .150mg.... my hands are always so cold..... I'm also taking lugol's solution....I also just found out I have breast cancer...cathy

Last edited by cathy57; 03-03-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I am so sorry to hear about the BC. I have had two Aunts go through removal of bad cysts and they are doing well. I hope that treatment goes as cleanly for you.

If you are at 50% in range for both your FT4 and Ft3 levels then a small boost to 137 may be what you need to take the rest of the edge off your hypoT symptoms. You definitely are not in need of a level decrease.

MG

Old 03-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
    cathy57
    (female)

cathy57 HB User

Thanks for your good wishes.....cathy

Closed Thread