It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• FNA result -abundant Hurthle cells

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
    soccerschu8
    (female)

soccerschu8 HB User
    FNA result -abundant Hurthle cells

I just had a FNA done last week on a nodule on my left side thyroid and the results came back that there are abundant Hurthle cells with colloid cells in background. There is evedence of Hurthle cell change. My nodule is 2.67cmx 1.9cm. I am a little nervous with all that I have red here and on the internet because I also have a line of swollen glands, on the left side, going up from my collar bone to behind my ear. My neck gets very sore and I sometimes get a throbbing pain in my ear. My GP reffered me to an endo but they can't get me in for 6 weeks. I don't know if I should try and find someone else or just wait. Does anyone have any thoughts???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: FNA result -abundant Hurthle cells

Your doctor should explain results when giving them to you.

If you live in the US, while you wait for your appt. with the endo., make an appt. with an ENT/surgeon that does a lot of thyroid surgeries. The surgeon that has a lot of thyroid experience will be able to guide you based upon that fna---there are some normal hurthle cells, and then there are some that are not so good and that you need to remove---your symptoms might be from the nodule itself and the size and it compressing on your neck.

You should see both an endo and an ENT.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Re: FNA result -abundant Hurthle cells

Hi Soccer, I can relate. My last biopsy, April showed Hurthel cells with follicular cells. Mine are in my entire thyroid, endo had sd there was a hard cold nodule. But, 2nd endo claims no nodules? so he insists the other endo biopsied my thyroid only? not sure, but they insist because of the pattern its just typical of Hashi's? I still worry...also get swollen glands, they come and go, mostly on the same side of the supposive nodule. I just wonder if more people have hurthel cells and just don't know it by not having a biopsy? but then I say, why don't ALL hashi people have hurthel cells? no good answer from endo's... I have "flares" all the time, glands, feet pain, very dry painful eyes, etc etc I feel for you, especially with nodules. I wanted to just go for surgery and be done with this! but, if in time things settle and we can forgo surgery that would be great! I would watch it for a few months, get another u/s, see how you feel and follow your gut! for me, I'm waiting as I'm in the middle of a major move and change of dr's. I wish you all the best!!!:
    Hysterectomy

Closed Thread