It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Do symptoms go away?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
    sweetberrygirl
    (female)

sweetberrygirl HB User
    Do symptoms go away?

Hello I am in the process of finding a Dr who will actually take notice of the symptoms and stop suggesting AD's. I have a host of symptoms, and all of them are disturbing to me. But the main question is about the physical things like my eyelids are swelling and my face! Will this go away with treatment???

Can symptoms escalate quickly?? I feel like my eyes and face have swollen in just 2 weeks or so.

Has anyone had success with traditional and non traditional med/practices?

Thank you so much. It is truly helpful to have access to boards like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User
    Re: Do symptoms go away?

Hi,
    I also have the eyelid swelling. It is my upper eyelids and also I have these huge bags under my eyes. I have Hashimoto's, but normal TSH, T3, and T4. I also have anemia, low vit. D, and low progesterone level. I don't know which one is causing the eyelid thing, but so far the treatments I am on have not helped.

It is really disgusting looking and I want it to go away, but don't know what to do to make that happen!

And, yes, I hate it when the doctors try to pass us off with antidepressants. When a doctor tries to give me antidepressants, I tell them no I won't be taking those, and I don't go back to them.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have Hashimoto's and hypoadrenalism. The Hashi's would cause my face to swell and eyes to swell shut for days before getting treatment. Since starting on T4 over a year ago I have not had that magnitude of swelling. I still get itching and dry skin issues.. but the swelling is kept in check with metrogel and elidel on top of my thyroid meds.

Thyroidism induced depression will only go away with thyroid supplementation.

What were your
    TSH
    Ft3
    Ft4

levels and rnages?

Were you ever tested for the Hashimoto's antibody identifiers TPOAb and TGAB?

Do not settle on ADs until the thyroid issue is completely evaluated.

MG

Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
    sweetberrygirl
    (female)

sweetberrygirl HB User

TSH 1.51 (0.34- 5.60)
    Ft3 wasnt done
    Ft4 0.64 (0.61- 1.12)

I was lucky to get these...but thanks to all the info I've received here I am awaiting another appt and will be much more specific.
    I am just concerned because it seems to be getting worse. much colder, much more muscle weakness, and emotionally feeling numb, and some shortness of breath, like a cough or tickle that takes a min to go away.
    I did start St. Johns Wort and that definitely helped the depression part. only 2 pills a day (600 mg) that was in begining of Feb.
    And I found out both aunts on both sides of family have thyroid issues, Grandmother takes something for thyroid. Didnt know all this until a week or so ago! So i guess that explains my issues a bit.
    Thank you again for any info and support!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

UGH! Your Ft4 is in the TANK! You are at 5.8% of normal range in T4. Optimal Ft4 and Ft3 levels for a woman of childbearing age is 50-80% of NORMAL range!

You need to get an MD willing to test the FT4 and Ft3. Your TSH indicates you are near optimal in thyroid function. However the TSH reacts most to deficiency in T3 levels. If you are hypoT in T4 but normal in T3 levels then the TSH will not respond as expected in a standard hypothyroid case. I am betting that your Ft3 is more mid ranged and that you are looking at hypoT in T4 and normal in T3 due to adrenal dysfunction. I would have to see a new Ft3 and Ft4 to be sure. This is very common in many Hashimoto's patients. You also need to get the TPOAb and TGAb tests run. The basic adrenal profile is an 8 am fasting blood draw testing Cortisol and ACTH levels.

The main hypoT effects low T4 generates are mental: Depression, brain fog, memory lapses, etc. Your thyroid function and balance do look like they may be to blame here.

MG

Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
    sweetberrygirl
    (female)

sweetberrygirl HB User

BTW when you mentioned adrenal function can the actual adrenal glands or area hurt or ache? I thought it was kidneys but no infection. But the right side aches, the flank area.
    thank you so much.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It is possible, but that is not a common symptom of adrenal dysfunction.

MG

Closed Thread