It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• catscan for goiter. Need info, please!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
    sndky
    (female)

sndky HB User
    Question catscan for goiter. Need info, please!!!

I just went to the endo. I have no symptoms, just my TSH is .05 (and FT4 is 1.3-normal). He did sonogram in the office and found lage goiter that is not palpable or visible from the front. He took a lot of blood gor the test, sent me fo uptake scan, but also sent me for the neck catscan. He said that he needs to see where exactly this goiter is located. He said that the goiter was growing for at least 10 years. I do my blood tests every year and this is the first time it was off. How it could be that for 10 years there were no symptoms and my blood tests were perfect. Did it happen to anybody else?

But my main question is, did anybody with a goiter was sent for catscan. I am asking because, as I stated in my previuous post, I have good insurance and I never know if the test is warranted.

Thanks,

Alexa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: catscan for goiter. Need info, please!!!

I understand the uptake scan for sure, but I more often hear of docs sending you for an ultrasound rather than a catscan---it's less expensive and enables them to see how large it is. Often I've read on this board about people finding nodules incidently during catscans.

I'm sure your endo has nothing to gain financially by sending you for the catscan, and maybe there's some reason he's concerned about location in your case---since you can usually feel it easily on the sides, so maybe he's concerned about an issue with you?

If you are uncomfortable trusting and going for the catscan, you could also consider going for the uptake scan first, then in the meantime going to an ENT (that's who would remove it usually), and see what tests the ENT prefers.

I think goiters can just grow regardless of your blood work.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
    sndky
    (female)

sndky HB User

Thanks for the quick response. Doctore did u/s. That's how he found a goiter. He said that is in my chest(?), retrosternal and he is sending me for catscan wants to find out a location of this monster. Does it sound right to you? And how goiter can be in the chest?
    Never heard of it before. Anyway, I did catscan today and going for uptake Wednsday and Friday.

I am so afraid that it will be ca. I can't sleep, can't eat, can't work. My mind is shot until I find results.

And how come I have no symptoms at all?

Alexa

Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Thyroids are known for growing way out of control, and yes, you can have thyroid in your chest, I had it going up my neck toward my tongue because as an embryo, the tongue is thyroid tissue.

A goiter doesn't necessarily have anything to do with thyroid cancer, it usually shows up as a mass on a thyroid lobe, not as an enlarged thyroid, which is what you have.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
    sndky
    (female)

sndky HB User

Thank you, Reece, for taking time answering me.

He said that I have a multinodular goiter. Is it worth than just a goiter?
    I also asked him why he is not sending me for biopsy and he said that it is not nessesery becouse those tests ar inconclusice. Is it right? I read a lot of posts on this board and FNA is always a test that people go if they have nodules. Should I insist? Or let the doctor (who I saw first time yesterday)
    do his thing?

I am at the point that I want to ask him to take the damn thing out now and deal with all other tests later.

Thanks again,

Alexa

Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Unless your endo is a surgeon too, you are going to have to see an ENT with a great deal of thyroid experience if your thyroid is truly that large. A multinodular goiter is a lumpy bumpy overgrown thyroid. If yours is that large, growing down into your chest, you should be discussing this with a surgeon.

If you had a specific nodule you were concerned about, you might get an FNA, they help in the surgery decision making process, and yes, they only get a few cells and don't always give you an accurate read. In your case, I'd be looking for surgeons because you have to consider getting something that overgrown out by a very skilled surgeon from a major hospital whom you trust and don't need to question.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

Thanks again.

That is what I am going to do. I have very good ENT surgeon at the major hospital here, in NY. I guess there is no chance for it to shrink, is there?

I don't really trust the doctor I went to yesterday. When I was talking about him taking advantage of my insurance. Right after T sono, they did sono of my abdomen (liver, kidney, etc) even though I told the doctor that I do this annually by my gastroenterlogist. I had bad experiences with doctors in regards to my insurance. There are a lot of doctors like that in NY. Probably even more now, considering economic situation. But maybe it was just my luck to get doctors who like good insurance too much.

Do you know, if this thing was growing for so long, does it definately mean ca?

And how person is to know that something like that is growing if blood tests are good for years, never had a problem with T, have no symptoms, no family history?
    Are there any guidelines for T screeing?

Also, how people cope with waiting for results? I am having really hard time. The "what if?" question is on my mind 24/7.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your kind responses.

Alexa

P.S. My nickname is different because I am at work now.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Are you in manhattan? I'm on LI. You should be fine around either.

If yours is as large as that dr. thinks, that's not going to shrink. There have been people on this board years ago with extremely overgrown thyroids into their chests who had them removed, and they were benign, but glad to get them out! Remember normally, it's the nodules that are concern, not the goiter. An overgrown thyroid doesn't necessarily mean cancer. My mother in law had her thyroid removed, it was tremendous and gloppy and gross, and no sign of cancer.

Other than a routine neck check (which yours didn't show anything because it's growing in a strange way)---and many times these things don't effect blood work. My personal history is I found a 2.5cm nodule one day on my neck, and it was cancerous (found out thru. fna which is rare)---my blood work was perfect, and I was feeling good, and I had it removed, and four years later, I'm fine.

You are at work, so get yourself busy, make an appt. with your ENT, arrange to get copies of results so you can bring them to him, and take this step by step, this has been there for a while, and isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

Hi

I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. So we are practically neigbours.

I am trying to work. Just trying, like robot. It's good that I have a nice boss. I am with this company for 17 years. They
    better to be good to me. LOL

On the more seious note. I am really afraid that because all these years that this was growing and never have been medicated, it turns malignant.

That is my worst nightmare.

Thanks a lot for listening.

Adele

Old 03-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User
    Re: catscan for goiter. Need info, please!!! (UPDATE)

Just came back from the appointment with the top ENT surgeon at the major NYC hospital. He is the head and neck surgeon. I had only neck cat scan cd with me, he did not need sono results. Cat scan was OK, showing basically that I have a goiter. He did very thorough examination (my ENDO did not even touch me) and said that I do have a goiter on the right side, it is not huge, like the ENDO said. The right side of it is below my collorbone. The left side feels OK.

I asked him to remove the sucker without any further tests. He said that at this point he doesn't see any indications to do that. He sent me for FNA. The place that he sent me to is booked until 3/31. He said that it is the best place in NY for this type of procedure. He wants to see me on 4/13, when I have all my test results back (including uptake that I am doing tomorrow) to decide what to do next. He said that, even if I will have to have a surgery, it might be only one side.

What a difference a good and a kind doctor makes! I was in tears after my visit to the ENDO and I left the surgeon's office smiling. Even though I might
    not have good outcome, he calmed my nerves just paying attention, taking his time and talking to me, explaining things that the ENDO did not even address.

Also today I went to take RA pill for the test tomorrow. And the doctor who will be doing test said that goiters very rarely turn into ca.

Maybe he was just calming me down. I don't know. What do you guys think, is there any thruth to this satatement?

Anyway, this is my story. Thanks for listening.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

glad you're feeling a little more calm. it's true that goiters are usually not cancer, especially multi-nodular goiters. they say the more nodules you have the better your chances that it's benign. if you only had one nodule, it would be more suspicious (but still maybe nothing)

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

"What if" is still on the back of my mind, but at least I can function, can think of something else beside C word.

What I don't understand why Endo did not send me for FNA even when I asked for it and the surgeon said I should go for it anyway? Is it a standard procedure in cases like mine?

Thanks for answering.

Alexa

Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That's great news---you should trust this doctor, take it slow, do what he says.....he's not rushing you off to surgery or anything. You are fine.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
    sndky
    (female)

sndky HB User

Thanks, Reece!

You've been very helpful.

He is not rushing me for surgery probably because he needs more test results. But he did not even need to see my sono, just ct cd and report (thanks God ct showed only goiter). Do you know what else are they looking on neck CT? I think that if he did not rush me to anything, it's good. If he would feel something wrong, he would rush me for FNA, right?

Thanks again,

Alexa

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
    ADSUFTIN
    (female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

Hi,

Did today uptake scan. They will send a report to my endo, but he is on vacation until 3/16. So I have to wait. First I asked the doctor who performed test to fax report to me also, but then I changed my mind. Don't want to know now, especially if I have to wait until the 16th for my endo to return. I feel that I already know too much. The doctor that did the test said that, even though my dx for the test said that I have retrosternal (going behind my breast bone), he doesnnt see it that way.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you all a qustion. I've read so many posts on this board that even if FNA is OK, there is a possibility that it could be ca.
    So, why go through all these tests? Why not to take it out as soon as you know that you have a goiter? What if all tests (including FNA) are OK, but you still have a goiter and a possibility that it is ca, who makes a decision about a surgery? What should be the main factor that will tell doctors that surgery is needed?

Also, please tell me how you deal with anxiety waiting for test results?

Thanks again,

Alexa

Closed Thread