It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Free T4 at 48%, TT3 @32%, is this enough?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
    berk57
    (female)

berk57 HB User
    Free T4 at 48%, TT3 @32%, is this enough?

I started seeing a new doctor (endocrinologist) in Nov 2008. I had been seeing my gp and was on Armour but couldn't get regulated. My Free t3 kept going higher and higher even though I kept cutting the dose back more and more. I ended up being at 90 mg Armour with a FT3 of 520(range 120-420) My gp suggested I see an endo to make sure my Thyroid was actually dead (Had RAI July 2007) New endo did an ultra sound and thyroid is dead. He started me on synthroid 25 mg, then after two weeks upped me to 50 mg. Since then no increases. I had blood work done last week and my Ft4 came back at 1.089(range .58-1.64) and my TT3 came back 1.20 (range .80-2.05) I am still having symptoms and have told the doctor both of the last two times I've seen him. When they called today with the results, the nurse once again said to stay the same on the medicine. I told her that I still wasn't feeling well and felt I needed an increase. She then wanted me to retest, which I refused since there's been little change in the last two tests because of no increase. Now they want me to come in and try to figure out what could be causing my tiredness, that it must be something else and couldn't be my thyroid since I'm testing within range. Am I crazy or shouldn't I be at least in the 50% of the range or at least put me on some T3 or something? He refuses to go any higher. What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Free T4 at 48%, TT3 @32%, is this enough?

Optimal levels for a woman of child bearing age are 50-80% of normal. My MFM likes to keep us 60-80% of normal.

I would say given your TT and Ft4 levels that you could use a nudge in Armour. Your T3 is a smidge low in comparison to your T4. If the MD refuses to go higher, find one that will.

MG

I have heard good things about:
    Dr. Sandra Weber, Endo., Greenville, SC
    Dr. Ted Golay, Family Medicine, Lexington, SC

I do not know who you see but you might want to look for a second opinion.

Last edited by mkgb; 03-04-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Closed Thread