It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyper hell! anyone out there on 60mg tapazole?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
    ciaobella82
    (female)

ciaobella82 HB User
    Unhappy Hyper hell! anyone out there on 60mg tapazole?

I'm new at this but here goes... I recently paid a visit to the ER having a thyroid storm, so they tell me. I had been having these extreme symptoms for over 2 months. It was so bad I couldn't even leave the house. I had no idea this stuff could kill me. I had been off my hyperthyroid meds for 6 months when my symptoms came back with a vengeance. I held off on seeking medical attention for 3 months for the same reason i went off my meds, lost my insurance. Before I stopped my meds, I was on 10mg tapazole/per day(which had been worked down from 20mg). I have a toxic nodule but never really asked too many questions because the meds seemed to help and I had no idea what I was dealing with. My ER visit landed me on 40mg tapazole and 60mg propranolol which after 2 wks my doctor has now increased (about a week ago) to 60mg tap. and 160mg propr. daily. My test results were T4- 6.0 and TSH-0 at the ER and two wks later T4-3.2 , TSH-0. In the past 3 weeks I have gained 10lbs but a lot of my symptoms still haven't subsided. I don't know anyone who has hyperthyroidism so I'm looking for some feedback from ppl who do. Is anyone out there on 60mg tapazole (which I've found to be the max dose)? Does anyone else experience serious mood swings on this stuff? How long before they go down on the dose? Will my weight stabilize (on the lower dose i never gained weight)? Do you have any personal info on RAI? My doctor is really pushing me to the RAI but she even told me that's because HYPO is easier to treat/control than HYPER and I've read online that dr's push it bc it's cheaper and easier for them. In general, I would appreciate any info from personal experience. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Hyper hell! anyone out there on 60mg tapazole?

Your doctor needs to test your antibodies. Your tsh is being suppressed by them and your doc is going by that. You're being overdosed cause your t-4 is way low. 60 mgs is WAY too much to be on. Once your levels drop(FREE t 3 and 4 ask for these) your dose is supposed to be dropped more and more.You are in hypoland now and you don't want to be there either. Ask for a reduction based on your t-4 and tell the doc you want to stay on the meds and won't stop them. That's probably why he's keeping you hypo now,he's afraid of being sued for thyroid storm. The tsh in Graves stays low for years sometimes, it's not an indicator of hyper. The frees are. You haven't even had these tests.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 03-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
    ciaobella82
    (female)

ciaobella82 HB User

My doctor told me that my T4 test results are too high. She said it was supposed to be below 1.9 . I think it was Free T4.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You have to find out the lab ranges. Get copies. My lab ranges are
    T-4-(4.5-12.0) I thought it was this you meant.
    Ft4 (free) (.80-1.80)
    You need to find out what test it was. 60 mgs is still too high, doses that high aren't needed to get levels in range.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
    ciaobella82
    (female)

ciaobella82 HB User

ok thanks. i guess i need more info on my tests and results. they definitely don't offer much. i'm getting the feeling they don't really want me to ask too many questions. i don't know what's more frustrating, the disorder or the endo.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes...endos are hard to dealwith, for some reason they are usually ego centrical and pompous. You feel dumb asking them anything. They think they kow it all but usually deal with diabetics, they don't have too much experience with hyper.Your labs shouldn't be high after being on this dose for 3 weeks or so. Have lab tests again and see where you are according to the ranges. If levels are in the range meds are reduced and reduced because if not, you can go the other way,hypo.(cold, achy,weight gain,constipastion.). Watch for these signs and tell the doc if you experience them. In no time you'll know where you're at by how you feel.The docs like to keep us hypo because it's safer but feels awful.

Closed Thread