It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what is the worst TSH thyroid reading

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
    debi52
    (female)

debi52 HB User
    what is the worst TSH thyroid reading

I just got lab results of 13.365 on my TSH and the doctor's office called to make sure after 6 weeks of taking .100 of the thyroid hormone daily I get retested. They seemed very concerned, but reading that some levels are in the 20s-70s doesn't seem like I am that off. I have had 80% of the symptoms and have felt awful for awhile. Just wondering how bad is bad.
    52 year old midwest wife and mother of 3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: what is the worst TSH thyroid reading

First welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family.

Optimal TSH is around 1. Normal TSH range is supposed to be 0.3-2.5, but some labs have yet to catch up to that yet. You are easily classified as overtly hypothyroid. How bad is that? Well that depends on how you feel and symptoms and long range side effects. The sooner you are treated and brought into optimal range the better you will be and feel.

You need to make sure that your MD follows your Ft3 and Ft4 levels. Have you went through menopause? If so on average your optimal FT3 and Ft4 levels will settle in the 45-70% range of normal. If you haven't went through menopause the optimal range is a bit higher 50-80% of normal.

All in all keep a symptom log daily and make sure you start following your care closely. You also need to test for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. As a mother of three if you have Hashimoto's your children are at a higher risk for developing a thyroid issue and should be tested yearly as well. The antibody tests of note are TPOAb and TGAb. My mother, her mother, her grandmother and many aunts have autoimmune thyroid diseases. There tends to be a 60-80% chance that a female descendant will develop a thyroid issue when autoimmune thyroid diseases are present. I developed mine during pregnancy with my son. I spent five years looking for the source of my issues. It would have been a lot simpler if I had known of my mom and her family's thyroid history. No one shared or talked about it until I started asking questions.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 03-04-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
    debi52
    (female)

debi52 HB User

Thanks for all the info. My kids are all adults, but 2 are women and I want them to be prepared in case they are prone for this thyroid stuff as well. I was going through 2 of them getting married and the holidays all while my period was going bezierk and my brain was getting foggier and foggier...it has been a real education! I am definitely keeping track now! I started a very low dose for a month whe I was waiting to see the endocrinologist, so now I am hopeful to get regulated!
    Thanks again!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
    angieC11
    (female)

angieC11 HB User

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, and new to this disease. I can tell you my TSH level is 56.8188, and i'm scared and confused, i'm currently on 100mcg levthyroxine. If there is anyone who has levels this high, please let me know that i'm not alone. Thanks angie

Closed Thread