It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyperthyroidism, T4 & diarrhea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
    Microsludge
    (female)

Microsludge HB User
    Hyperthyroidism, T4 & diarrhea

Hello,

I've been spending most of my time on the digestive diseases board talking about my gallbladder & pancreas, but in reviewing my medical records for a recent GI appointment, I came across some thyroid labs I had drawn last month. I noticed that my T4 was 9.6 - the upper range of my lab's normal is 10.2. My value struck me as a bit high, but I'm not sure.

I have had a 4 month history of oily yellow-orange diarrhea (regardless of what I eat) and have read that this might be a symptom of hyperthyroidism. I don't think I have any other symptoms. The T4 value jumped out at me.

What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism, T4 & diarrhea

If it was total T4 (vs. free T4), and if your TSH was not at its low end of normal, your level is probably not significant. If you take estrogen in any form, high total T4 is to be expected.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism, T4 & diarrhea

sometimes oily stools are a sign of celiac disease. This can go along with another auto immune disease.Find out what your tsh is and also a free t-4 test. It's more reliable.

Closed Thread