It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Wishy washy thyroid results???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
    brooklynbabii
    (female)

brooklynbabii HB User
    Wishy washy thyroid results???

Hey I have a few questions that my doctors can't seem to answer for me, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas. First off, I move almost every two years and don't have a specific doctor who knows me farther than a piece of paper. Doctors from all around keep testing me for thyroid problems and it seems like everyother time there is something wrong, then next time the lab comes back normal. I've been told by many doctors I have thyroid antibodies. I'm told thats not a big deal. And I'm sure its not but what does that mean exactly? Should I be looking for something in my future? I've been told I am borderline for hyper and hypothyroidism. I don't understand that either? How can I be on the verge of either? Wouldn't that mean its normal? I'm very confused. I've had problems with dizziness and occasionally passing out since I was about 11 years old, around the same time I started breaking out in hives. I've been tested for allergies and I am allergic to quite a few things but not all the time. I lived in arizona for 4 years, went on vacation to florida and came back to arizona immediately breaking out in hives. went on meds for it. Moved to washington, lived there for 4 years with not one hive showing up. Then I went down to arizona for 2 months and started breaking out in hives when I came back. I figure if it was just allergies (certain types of grass, mold, pollen, etc.) then I would have had hives those first 4 years in both arizona and washington. Anyways, I'm sorry if I'm confusing you. I told my new allergist about the time in between when I wasn't breaking out in hives, and then was once I came back from somewhere else and she asked me if I've ever had thyroid problems. I told her what I told you in the beginning and how they had put me on meds for I believe hypothyroidism for a short time when I was a kid. My mom says they put me on high doses of some synthetic hormone and it made me really moody so they took me off. The allegist had blood work done on me. It said that my free T4 was high- 1.81 and their range was (0.59-1.17) ng/dL, my T3 total was normal at 156.0 (52-180) ng/dL, and my TSH was supposedly high at 4.980 (0.4-4.7) uIU/mL.

Whatever the heck that means.

Anyways, I was tested again a month later and the doctors office called me and said everything looks good. I don't have the paperwork for this one.

Ok so my questions are:
    What are thyroid antibodies and how does it affect me?
    How can I be borderline on both hyper and hypothyroidism?
    I've been tested probably a good 5 or 6 times since I was 11 years old and everyother time there is something wrong, then its nothing, then its abnormal and so on and so forth. Why does it keep changing all the time?
    Are my problems with dizziness and hives have anything to do with my thyroid, or what might be going on with it?
    I heard that all this might affect my fertility when I'm ready to have kids, and may make it easier for me to have a miscarriage. Is this true?

If you can help answer any of these questions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Brooke

P.S. I am an 18 year old female with no idea of my family history for anything, if any of that makes a difference. Thanks!

Last edited by brooklynbabii; 03-05-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread