It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• joint pain/cracking with hashimotos??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
    d444
    (male)

d444 HB User
    joint pain/cracking with hashimotos??

hi, sorry for the long post... im 26yo male, my thyroid has been underactive for about 4yrs, been on synthroid and have been fairly ok, sometimes a bit worse but overall ok. lately all my joints have been cracking excessively, practically every time i streatch, bend my knees, ankles, streatch my neck or back and my knee has really been hurting me. anyone here have that? this sucks, there are so many things effected by this thyroid problem! its weired because i would think if ur on meds for it, these things wouldnt be a problem since whats naturally missing is now replaced.

out of nowhere all my joints crack and pop?? all this cracking and pain had me really worried. im generally in great shape and very active but this pain has slowed me down, i try to work through the pain but its hard.

thank you, good luck to all.

Last edited by d444; 03-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: joint pain/cracking with hashimotos??

When was the last time you had your thyroid levels checked. Mine pop and crackle when my thyroid hormone levels are too low. Also having Hashimoto's puts you at increased risk for developing ANA and thus rheumatoid arthritis. If it has been more than 6 weeks you can go back and get more Ft3 an dFt4 blood work. Also ask for another antibody profile TPOAb and TGAb if it has been more than 6 months since the last one. Have them include and ANA test as well.

MG

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

I am HypoT and Hashis and have the joint pain and cracking. Everything cracks...including my chest/rib cage!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
    KellyABC
    (female)

KellyABC HB User

I have hypot and I also experience the cracking! I have cracking sounds in my shoulders, knees, and ankles. I thought it was was less when I first started taking Synthroid but now I'm noticing it's back again. I have gained a considerable amount of weight recently though and I wondered if this might be contributing as well.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Ahhhh! So you probably haven't had the lab run testing for the lab code ANA. ANA by standard medical dictionary definitions can be summarized as Antinuclear antibodies. These antibodies are directed against structures within the nucleus of the cell. ANAs are found in a multitude of patients whose immune system's are predisposed to cause inflammation against and within their own body tissues. Positive levels of ANAs indicate the presence of an autoimmune condition. WHat? Well that needs further testing.. lupus, MS, Hashimoto's, and RA all can cause ANA formation. So the MD has to look at your symptoms and do addtitional targeted antibody tests to see what is the SOURCE of your ANA induced inflammation. Give your Issues ANA could point to Hashimoto's and a side oorder of RA.

MG

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
    d444
    (male)

d444 HB User

ok, so ive had my bloodwork done, for some reason the doc didnt order the individual thyroid ones like T3, T4, free T4 (not sure what they are) but my THS was good (1.76). ANA test and lupus and RF factor for RA and thay all came back negative (the RF was <7 and it says <14 is normal). doc says she doesnt know whats wrong, made apt with Rhemetologist but not for 3 weeks.

im very worried, at this point all my pain had gotten much worse, every joint craks and pops almost everytime i move, i have pain in my back, neck, sternum, elbows, ankles and really bad in my knees. help....

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Your TSH is normal in range, but not optimal. Between 0,89-1.1 is optimal. You are above that at 1.74.

What were your exact Ft4, T3, T4 lab values and ranges. i will be able to tell you more then. Also insist on getting the TPOAb and TGAb run given the failure to do so up to this point.

MG

Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If your TPOAb and TGAb were previously positive for antibodies then you have Hashimoto's. Testing them again will just allow you to compare levels and determine how aggressive your Hashimoto's is at this time.

TGAB will interfere with Tg levels. As a result if you have TGAB then your TG levels will not be a good thyroid cancer tumor marker. It is the actual Tg level that the MDs use to determine thyroid tumor/tissue regrowth in TT patients.

MG

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
    lou2316
    (male)

lou2316 HB User

Hello!

My symptoms are similar to yours and I was wondering if you were able to get better or come to a diagnosis yet?

Thank you

Closed Thread