It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• connection between thyroid and high blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
    csamit

csamit HB User
    connection between thyroid and high blood pressure

what is the connection between thyroid and high blood pressure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
    REE43
    (female)

REE43 HB User
    Re: connection between thyroid and high blood pressure

I have high blood pressure since all these thyroid issues & my Dr says its due to being hypothyroid. I was put on a water pill recently.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
    Graves54
    (female)

Graves54 HB User

Yes, if you are hypothyroid over a period of time, your bloodpressure will rise. Not sure why, but am thinking that it is either putting a strain on the heart, or fluid buildup from being hypo.

I have had high bloodpressure with hypo and hypergraves. Checking my pulse at rest is the best way for me to tell if I am going hypo. Right now my pulse is dropping down to 54 to 60 beats per minute, and that is not typical for a non athlete.

Had RAI for Graves Feb. 2004.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I never had blood pressure issues either until becoming hypo. Was put on a couple meds in the beginning to control the BP and now that I am regulated I am just on one smaller dose. Keep thinking if I lose some weight and exercise regularly I could get rid of that too.

Graves54 - what is the connection for pulse rate?? Mine has been pretty low too.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
    Graves54
    (female)

Graves54 HB User

I read somewhere that the pulse is a good way to tell if your thyroid is low or high. Of course after drinking any kind of caffiene beverage would cause the pulse to rise.

My normal pulse is 72 to 75. Also, I have had lack of motivation, feeling a bit depressed, constipation.

Closed Thread