It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Enlarged Thyroid Cartilage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
    dannysmom
    (female)

dannysmom HB User
    Enlarged Thyroid Cartilage?

I am still in the process of finding a dr will will help me. Have any of you noticed that your "adam's apple" seems more pronounced? Can an enlarged thyroid be the cause? I am a 32 yr old female and have noticed that mine seems to be sticking out more, but I can't say for sure because I never really gave it any thought before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Re: Enlarged Thyroid Cartilage?

It sounds like you thyroid. Mine obstructs swallowing and after a week I felt my neck and found the lump. I went to to doctor last week and they confirmed it is my thyroid. I am in the process of waiting for an ultrasound and getting blood test results back.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

I'm no doc, but I've never heard of an enlarged adams apple. I'm thinking strongly that it is your thyroid gland if it is in fact enlarged. Tilt your head back...do you have a bulge? The simple fact that you noticed it probably means it is enlarged. Usually we dont notice "normal" things until these "normal" things change.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
    dannysmom
    (female)

dannysmom HB User

I am almost positive I have thyroid issues based on my labs and symptoms. Problem is because my TSH is "normal" no one wants to help me.

Now that I look more closely, the bump/lump is at the top of my neck right under my chin. I felt my hubbys neck and his doesn't feel like mine does. Can a goiter or nodule be up that high?

Last edited by dannysmom; 03-08-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My nodule is higher up on my neck on my right side. Sounds like a nodule. Has a doctor seen or felt the nodule yet?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
    dannysmom
    (female)

dannysmom HB User

No, but I am going to make an appt this week. My regular dr who I have been bugging about my issues didn't even feel my neck. What does a nodule feel like? How big can they get?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Doesn't sound like the thyroid location to me. The thyroid is lower than your adams apple, more like the base of your neck, and it's a butterfly, so most of the swelling would be on the sides, not in the front.

Most nodules are too small to feel, they are often found on ultrasound---you would need a doctor to feel unless it's large (around 2 cm or more).

High up on your neck would be a lymph node, and they swell up for all sorts or reasons, and usually go back down over time.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have to tip my head back slightly to see and feel my nodule better. It is towards to top of the neck and is near the center of my neck, it is just slightly off to my right. It is absolutely the thyroid. My nodule is very visible and you can feel it. It seems to feel about the size of a olive or small grape.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I was referring to the original poster who says there is a lump under her chin, the thyroid is not usually under the chin, it is much lower down---you can look at an anatomy book and see where the thyroid is.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Your right, the thyroid is lower. I stand corrected. I did have my first ultrasound today and I have two nodules and the "lump" that we thought was my nodule is actually a cyst of some sort.

Closed Thread