It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help for low iodine diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User
    Help for low iodine diet

I will start a low iodine diet around the 16th of March. Has anyone been on it? Tonight I bought unsalted peanut butter. I wanted to buy some bread but it seems that alot of bread has some kind of soy in it, and I have to stay away from soy, dairy, canned foods, no lunch meats, red 40, and so much more. Does anyone have any nice recipes for a low iodine diet? I have a few, but it would be nice to try some new ones. What kind of bread did you buy? I bought whole wheat, but there are so many additives.

Thanks...open the door

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Help for low iodine diet

The thyroid cancer lid cook book from their organization is pretty good, have you been using it?

Passover is coming, which means there is matzah --- and since soy is forbidden on passover, and because there are non dairy products for it as well, you should be able to find some items (ie, matzah crackers, matzah breadcrumbs) in the jewish foods section of your supermarket.

I used matzah breadcrumbs and egg whites and chicken cutlets for dinner many nights. Salads are also a no brainer, and grilling is good too.

You can't have store bought bread, because there is iodide in the flour, to keep the flour fresh, so hence, I had matzah, or you can make your own, or speak personally to a bakery.

Remember, it's low iodine, not no iodine, so don't get yourself too crazy.

Last edited by Reece; 03-09-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User

Is it ok to drink low sodium V8 and WASA fiber crispbread?

Thanks...open the door

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User

Hi! Not sure about the V8, but there really are a LOT of foods you can eat. The stinky part is you have to prepare almost all of them. I recommend the LID cookbook as well, it's FABULOUS! I ate a LOT of homemade bread/rolls w/ jam, fruits, salad w/ homemade dressing and meats/poultry that was NOT pre-seasoned. I even made my own chicken stock (the ones at the store are LOADED with salt) for a really yummy chicken curry. I ate lots of avocadoes with Kosher salt, which I thought tasted TONS better than a salt substitute. For a treat, I had Chocolate Sorbet from Haagen Daaz, which has only sugar, egg whites, pure cocoa and a few other non-iodine ingredients. I think I went through a pint every other day!

A couple of reminders: red food dye CAN have iodine in it, so stay away from red popsicles, etc. Do NOT take a multivitamin w/ iodine in it. Try to prepare as many foods as you can BEFORE you start getting really tired and achy. The week before I had RAI, I was SO tired and relied heavily on my hubby and sis to cook for me or reheat things I'd frozen. GOOD LUCK!

Closed Thread