It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• suppressed TSH?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
    donna70
    (female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
    suppressed TSH?

Hi,
    Just wondering what goes on with suppressed TSH? My dr sent me a note to go and get another TSH and T3 and T4? The PA had written the order for TSH without the T3,T4 and my TSH turned out to be 0.09. Does this have any clinical significance? or does it mean I need my levo dose lowered? thanks in advance!!
    Donna70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: suppressed TSH?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donna70 View Post
    Does this have any clinical significance? or does it mean I need my levo dose lowered?
    It really doesn't matter if you're not having any HyperT symptoms. If you are having HyperT symptoms you need a slight drop to your Levo dose - by taking your Free T levels you may also "prove" that you're not hyperthyroid if you feel fine at the moment.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
    donna70
    (female)

Hi,
    Thanks for your input, still waiting for the new results. I feel pretty good except I have been pretty irritable and angry. but I sleep pretty good and have great BP and no racing heart. I recently became a diabetic in September and wonder if the metformin could have influence on my thyroid. thanks again!!
    Donna70

Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I have a TSH of 0.17 but my Ft3 is 45% of normal and my Ft4 is 40% of normal. I am not hyperT, but my TSH is suppressed.

I am now on 1500 mg of Metformin XR in addition to my 112 mcgs of synthroid... well the generic T4 equivalent. My TSH has dropped since taking metformin. My Ft levels have remained balanced and not dropped appreciatively. I am not diabetic, just reactive hypoglycemic with side orders of insulin resistance and PCOS. I do have the antibodies that eventually lead to diabetes, but I am not going diabetic without a good fight.

So hyperT is not just dependent on TSH.. the ACTUAL thyroid hormone levels are most key. You need to look at how you feel, what your symptoms are and where your ACTUAL thyroid hormones lie before determining a thyroid dose needs raising or lowering.

MG

Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
    donna70
    (female)

Thanks for that input MG, luckily my internist is also an endo so hope after we get the T3, T4 results she will tell me what is going on. I appreciate the input and am on a small dose of metformin only 500 mg once a day and my levo dose is 0.125 mg. thanks again.
    Donna70

Last edited by donna70; 03-11-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: wrong dose

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

MKG,
    You mentioned antibodies for diabetes.. those lead to Type 1 .. if I remember right ?
    Those are also associated with neuropathic issues.. from the antibodies alone (not the neuropathic issues as a secondary effect of diabetes)
    Yes those need to be closely monitored dear.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Dream77,

Thanks. Yeah, I am monitoring all my antibody levels quite regularly.. much to my health insurance company's displeasure... but a girls gotta do what is best. My MD believes that AI issues are strongly tied to the activity of the antibodies. The higher the antibody count the more symptoms and issues that specific AI will cause. I can say from experience that it has held true. Luckily my diabetes antibodies are just below the positive level limit.. BUT we know how meaningful limits can be. My MD thinks one day I will be diabetic as a result, but hopes to push it off 10-20 years with good diet, exercise and the use of Metformin. I hope that we can push it off as well. I can stick myself with needles, I have done it with allergy shots, but I would hate to do it multiple times a day. YUCK!

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 03-13-2009 at 05:47 AM.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I've recently found out that adrenal fatigue or very high cortisol levels can cause a suppressed TSH. My cortisol levels are very elevated throughout the day except between 4-5pm, so this explains why my tsh was always so low even when my FT3 and FT4 were within a good range. I never had hyper symptoms.

Closed Thread