It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• losing alot of weight with hypothyroid??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
    bev5493
    (female)

bev5493 HB User
    losing alot of weight with hypothyroid??

I go tomorrow for the biopsy on the nodule i have.You can read other post i had rai for nodules and now have another one that we are thinking may be causing me to go hyper sometimes. My question is I cannot do uptake because i have had to many cat scans so they are going to do a biopsy. It is a small cyst but can that cyst be causing me to go hyper sometimes? also when i had the nodules and were hyper i gained alot of weight fast and now iam supposed to be hypo i have lost from 195 thanksgiving day to now 146 is it possible? If this is causing my problem is it best to just get it out? Thanks again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
    kittyroo
    Veteran
    (female)

kittyroo HB User
    Re: losing alot of weight with hypothyroid??

WOW! What a roller coaster you've been through! Unfortunately, I don't know a thing about nodules and such, but I am hypoT with Hashimoto's, and I know about that. I have also lost a bunch of weight that I can't afford since I was dx'd. It's weird, usually hyperT sufferers deal with the loss and hypoT sufferers deal with the gain. My best guess is that since hypoT slows the metabolism to a crawl, one doesn't feel hungry and therefore eats less. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Kitty that is an interesting theory. Oh if it were true for me. I am now hypo again and my first clue should have been how hungry I was and the lack of weight loss with exercise and diet and then of course the inevitable weight gain. I will watch my lab numbers, maybe there is a clue there. Of course even when I was hyper I didn't lose weight easily.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

bev5493,
    . I wish you all the best. I had 40 lb weight loss with hypothyroid.... great -everyone says.. I would rather be heavier and feel good again, have energy to work it off the correct way. I have NO appetite, and it is amazing how our culture is centered around food.
    take care, and good luck.

Last edited by tired47; 03-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Both me and my grandmother are thin as a rale but we are hypothyroid. Sometimes when I'm really hypo then I'm nauseous, therefore I don't eat. So it can go both ways certainly.

Closed Thread