It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Underactive, multivitamins & menstruation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
    CJC1968
    (female)

CJC1968 HB User
    Question Underactive, multivitamins & menstruation

Hi
    Just found this board.
    I was diagnosed with Underactive around 8 years ago when I had a BP test done which was very high. The test was done because my periods had suddenly become very irregular and erratic. After diagnosis in which they told me thyroid was borderline I was put on Thyroxine. Was tested regularly. Moved to a new doctors 4 years ago and told them of my history and that my periods had stil not returned. Just upped the dose of my thyroxine and now on 112.5mg. A few months ago we got a new female doc so I went & saw her and explained about my lack of periods which were now reduced to around one every 18 months. Sent me for thyroid test, hormone test etc. Anyway, when my results came back they told me they were inconclusive but consistent with somebody going through the menopause and raised liver enzymes. Totally freaked me out but said nothing to wrry about and I should have another test in a couple of months. I had no menopausal symptoms other than lack of periods. A couple of months back I was ill once again with a bad cold and chest infection and a friend of mine told me to start multivitamins because I get so many colds. So i invested in some multivitamins. Then I read that lack of iodine could contribute to thyroid so I bought sea kelp. Been taking them both every morning since January. On 14th Feb I had my first period in 17 months - just a light one but nonetheless. Then 23 days later I got another period. This one is awful - heaviest I've had in ages. Now I'm not sure if it is the vitamins or the iodine or a combination. The multivitamins have iodine in also - don't know if I'm overdoing it or what. I am really fed up that the docs didn't test for deficiencies or even tell me about them - just stumbled upon it.
    I'm interested to hear what other people think about this - have you had similar experiences? Should I continue with vitamins & iodine? Thoughts please. Thanks C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread