It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Confused - Hashi's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
    momy5
    (female)

momy5 HB User
    Confused - Hashi's

Can somebody please help me to understand my labs and what I'm going through? I was diagnosed with Hypo several years ago and was put on Synthroid (0.25mg) but went hyper then switched to Levoxyl (0.25) and also went hyper was taken off meds labs were normal for about a year now I'm told I'm hypo again and to go back on meds but I know I'm going to go hyper again at the very lowest dose so should I take meds or not? I know I have Hashi's but does it benefit me to take the meds when I'm so back and forth? My most recent labs are:

TSH 5.555 Range 0.450 - 4.500
    T4 0.89 Range 0.61 - 1.76
    Triiodothyronine Free Serum 2.4 Range 2.3 - 4.2
    Thyroid Peroxidase 246 Range 0 - 34 This is the one I'm confused about what exactly does it mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Confused - Hashi's

Can you define what you mean by "hyper"? Did you have hyper symptoms, but your labs looked ok? Did you have hyper symptoms and your labs reflected that with high free Ts? Did your TSH dip too low, but your free Ts stayed within range and you had no symptoms? Or did your free Ts soar to the top/above lab range? Answers depend on which scenario it is.

"Thyroid peroxidase" means TPO antibodies, the ones that are responsible for your thyroid failure. Other than indicating the reason for your hypothyroidism, they aren't really significant of anything else.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-10-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
    momy5
    (female)

momy5 HB User

I had hyper symptoms and my TSH was very low. Does the high TPO mean I have hashi's? Do you think my TSH is high enough right now to start meds?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
    braveheart226
    Veteran
    (female)

braveheart226 HB User

If you have antibodies then you do have Hashimoto's, and yes, your TSH is high enough to require meds. The new range is up to 3.0.
    My Hashis was/is very treatable (starting TSH was 33) and I wish you well...

Sue

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Can somebody please help me to understand my labs and what I'm going through? I was diagnosed with Hypo several years ago and was put on Synthroid (0.25mg) but went hyper then switched to Levoxyl (0.25) and also went hyper was taken off meds labs were normal for about a year now I'm told I'm hypo again and to go back on meds but I know I'm going to go hyper again at the very lowest dose so should I take meds or not? I know I have Hashi's but does it benefit me to take the meds when I'm so back and forth? My most recent labs are:

Well your TSH says you are overtly hypothyroid according to your pituitary gland.
    TSH 5.555 Range 0.450 - 4.500 This range is from the 1990's.. 2002 this was refined to 0.3-3.0.

Free T4 0.89 Range 0.61 - 1.76 This is 24.3% of normal range. This is suboptimal. You want to be 50-80% of normal in most cases.

Triiodothyronine Free Serum 2.4 Range 2.3 - 4.2 This is 5.3% of normal. You are out of balance with regards to your Ft4 and Ft3 levels. You need to find out why.. I can give you an idea. Your Ft4 is significantly higher than your FT3 levels. This is normally the result of a conversion error where your T4 is being converted into RT3.

You need to get your Reverse T3 levels checked.

The other main cause for high T4 levels with regards to T3 levels is hyperadrenalism in the form of cortisol production. Having a fasting 8 am ACTH and cortisol blood draw would be a good thing to do.

Thyroid Peroxidase 246 Range 0 - 34 This is the one I'm confused about what exactly does it mean?
    This means you have the main autoimmune thyroid disease antibodies in a sufficient quantity to be labeled Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Depending on how these tests come back a variety of treatment methods are available.

MG

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by momy5 View Post
    I had hyper symptoms and my TSH was very low.
    The same thing happened to me. When I tried taking the smallest dose of Synthroid, I became clinically and symptomatically hyperthyroid. The endo said I was "hypersensitive" to it. Her suggestion was to stop taking it and wait until I got "sicker" so that I could "tolerate" it. That was her solution because she doesn't prescribe any other brand or type of thyroid med. Waiting was not an option, in my mind.

So I found a doctor who prescribes Armour thyroid, a med which contains both T4 and T3, unlike Synthroid and Levoxyl which is T4 only. I was started cautiously on very small amount, which didn't send me hyper. The dose was slowly and gradually raised until I reached a full replacement dose, which I've been taking for 6 years. Never once did I go hyper during that time.

I still don't know why I had that reaction to Synthroid. I could speculate with textbook theories till the cows come home, but what good would it do now? The main thing is that something else has worked just fine. There are options besides the two meds you've tried.

Your current MD may or may not be open to prescribing Armour. It has fallen from favor in modern medicine on trumped-up charges. But there are still millions of thyroid patients for whom it works best. It's often worth the effort to find an MD who prescribes it. It certainly was for me.

As has been said... yes, the antibodies mean that your hypothyroidism is being caused by Hashimoto's disease.

Closed Thread