It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Many hypothyroid symptoms, normal TSH

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
    ber
    (female)

ber HB User
    Many hypothyroid symptoms, normal TSH

I am now 56 yrs old. and here's my problem. About 8 yrs ago I started to notice that I was cold when no one else was, then I started having depression, pain in my knees and leg muscles. I went to the Dr. many times sure that My thyroid was the problem. But tests were normal.

About 4 yrs ago, many other symptoms appeared. Low body temp, average 96.6. Tingling and pain in my feet so bad that I have to be careful to wear very comfy shoes, I saw two neurologists in that period of time, neither of them could find any signs of neuropathy, and they both commented that I had no tender points that might suggest fibromayalgia.
    I also have corporal tunnel symptoms in the palms of my hands. I wear thermal underwear under my pants summer and winter, layered clothing. I can't tolerate temps under 80 degrees. I run an electric heater under my desk at work and sometimes go to my hot car in summer and just sit there to get warm. I work upstairs, and I have extreme difficulty climbing those steps. My eyes burn, I stay sleepy all the time. Only do what is necessary at home, just don't have energy to do anything.

My knees and feet hurt so bad that I saw a rheumatologist he could not see any sign of arthritis. He too did not feel I had fibromaylagia (suggested possible restless leg syndrome) I am very depressed at times and sometimes have panic attacks, high blood pressure, heart palp. Hair falling out (I'm a mess) I have also seen a neurosurgeon, with MRI's of all my spine. He could not find anything wrong with my back. I am positive this is Thyroid related, and My Heart Dr. also is thinking there is a connection to thyroid. I am now scheduled to see and Endocrinist in two weeks. My Last TSH was .98 the one previous was .76 My T4 and T3 was at the bottom of normal range. Do you think I should try Thyroid Meds for a while to see if I improve?
    Heres my list of symptoms:

Tingling, numbness in legs and feet
    Sharp electric type pain in feet
    Fatigue and weakness
    Low Basal Body Temperature averages 96.7
    Skin feels cold to touch, I freeze when everyone else feels warm.
    I have to use electric heaters, & extra clothing even in Summer.
    I never sweat no matter how hot it is.
    Dry, Itchy Skin, (On my Back, head and legs mostly)
    Thin spots in hair (these areas itch all the time)
    Heart palpations,
    Extreme weakness in legs, have difficulty climbing stairs, squatting, walking
    high blood pressure
    Dry coarse hair (won't perm)
    Cold feet and legs
    Unable to exercise without extreme leg/foot pain and exhaustion
    Some weight gain
    Bloating in Upper abdomen
    Depression/ panic attacks
    Poor memory, forgetfulness
    hand tremors
    Difficulty Concentrating
    Muscle cramps in feet and legs, sometimes fingers
    Thinning of eyebrows (outer half)
    Tightness/Pressure in Chest (front and back)
    Joint pain/stiffness (especially knees and toes)
    chemical sensitivity
    dry burning eyes
    Difficulty Staying Asleep.
    Frequent Urination (about every hour day and night)
    Drowsy all the time. Difficult to drive without falling to sleep.
    Difficulty hearing
    Ringing in ears
    blurred vision at times.
    corporal tunnel symptoms (pain, mostly in thumbs and palms)
    burning tongue and lips

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User
    Re: Many hypothyroid symptoms, normal TSH

Wow! your symptoms sound exactly like my mom! She is your age too.
    My mom started taking B12 and she feels WAY better. Perhaps you should try it. It's easy and cheap. It is very common for women your age to have a B12 deficiency.

Also it is possible that your thyroid is to blame. Make sure that they test your free T3 (FT3 not T3) and test it every 3 months. Low normal T3 indicates that you are hugging the border (AKA subclinical hypothyroidism). If your doctor is willing to start you on the medicine to see if it helps, then yeah, I would try it but try the B12 too.

Last edited by TV in RV; 03-12-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
    ber
    (female)

ber HB User

Thanks, if the Thyroid tests come up with nothing, I am going to have to do something quick, or I am going to have to quit working. I feel I will be in a wheelchair before long.
    I have heard that B-12 deficency will cause neuropathy and other symptoms that I am experiencing. I pray this Endo will look at my symptoms and at least try Thyroid Meds for a while to see if it helps. I currently am taking Neurotin for my legs and feet. Does not help much any more.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

The thing is that my mom was experiencing almost every symptom that you are; tired, chest pain joint pain, anxiety, ect. She thought that she was going to have to quit work too. She didn't so much have neuropathy problems, other than extreme anxiety, but she felt better after taking B12.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by TV in RV; 03-12-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TV in RV View Post
    The thing is that my mom was experiencing almost every symptom that you are; tired, chest pain joint pain, anxiety, ect. She thought that she was going to have to quit work too. She didn't so much have neuropathy problems, other than extreme anxiety, but she felt better after taking B12.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck!
    Just curious, TV...is your mom taking a regular OTC B-12 supplement? In my last CBC blood test, it was noted that my red blood cells were "big"...which indicates a possible B-12/Folate deficiency. My endo decided to test my B-12 & Folate specifically to double-check, and they both came back "normal"...but he never did tell me where exactly in that "normal" range, my results were. Since so many doctors consider the low-end of normal to still be normal, I am convinced that my results were on the low-end of normal. So I've been thinking about supplementing the B-12, but don't really know what to look for. What dosage? Should I go with sublingual B-12? Thanks for any help!

Linda

Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

No she isn't taking prescripive doses. Sometimes prescriptive doses are too high anyways. I would take no more than your daily value "Source Naturals" is generally my most prefered brand because it is well known for being bioavailable. Many times it's sources are food based or either closest to its natural form. Therefore the daily value can be less and you still get what you need. Many times if it's a cheap brand then they use a bad form. When the chemical form is bad then sometimes it will grab onto a cell and only perform half of the job. It then blocks the cell when a complete form, from food for example, comes along.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Thanks, TV. I just looked up the Source Naturals B-12...it has sorbitol & mannitol in the ingredients, and I have found that those 2 artificial sweeteners cause me a lot of digestive problems, so I avoid them if I can. I guess I'll have to look for another brand. Thanks anyway, though!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Hi Ber,
    Sorry you are going through this.I am not a doctor but you have alot of hypothyroid symptoms.There are 3 good thyroid books to read.
    Living with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon
    Could it be My Thryoid by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD
    The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Ahrem MD
    you can get them at your library or they can get them for you or at your bookstore...they can order them for you.
    Lots of stuff to read for you to get a diagnosis and treatment.
    I would go to another doctor or get your heart doctor to maybe consider letting you get some blood tests done if you have to.Maybe your doctor will let you try the lowest dose of thyroid pills to see if you feel better after 6 weeks.Sometimes it takes that long for them to help sometimes it happens sooner.
    Being cold,tired and loosing your eyebrows sounds hypothyoid.
    I hope you can some help soon.
    Please let us know what happens.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Thanks, TV. I just looked up the Source Naturals B-12...it has sorbitol & mannitol in the ingredients, and I have found that those 2 artificial sweeteners cause me a lot of digestive problems, so I avoid them if I can. I guess I'll have to look for another brand. Thanks anyway, though!
    Yeah most of their supplements disolve under the tongue and they do taste sweet. So much for Source "Naturals". Oh well

Most good brands will advertise for bio availability or food derived, so look for that on the label.

Last edited by TV in RV; 03-12-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Closed Thread