It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Steroid Shot Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Steroid Shot Question

I've been on the thyroid board for ages. I'm 6ish years post RAI for Graves. Been hypo ever sense, typically w/ a very low Free T3 range. At any rate, I have a sort of strange question. I had a nasty case of viral laryngitis last week - soooo painful I ultimately got a steroid shot on Friday. My doctor had to sort of talk me into it - I was afraid of a thyroid "flare" or a psoriasis "flare". I'm so thankful I got it though - I was better by that evening, and seriously I FEEL GREAT NOW! After a few days of seriously depressing thoughts (i think from a week of not sleeping because of my throat pain), I got back to the gym and ever sense I feel like a new person. For about a year now, I've suffered with what I thought were symptoms of a low T-3: cold, tingling feet, low heart-rate, palpitations, a touch of depression, anxiety, an overall sense of unease and just not feeling well, puffy eyes, crazy appetite & blotchy skin. I swear though, everything is like perfect now. Is it possible a steroid shot could do that for me? I've got this wild theory that maybe I was having an antibody flare & the steroid has helped.

I'm just curious if anybody else has had a similar experience after getting a steroid shot? Does anybody have extra insight into why the steroid shot may have made me feel better? Or does anyone think it may be related to antibodies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Steroid Shot Question

I have Graves and was made hypo by the meds very soon after starting on a very small dose. I have antibodies for Hashi too. I had a very painful period where I had bad pain in my neck and shoulder. I spent a lot of money going to a P.T and a chiropracter,which the chiro did help but the best thing for me was the steroid shot in the neck. Not only did it greatly relieve this but my carpal tunnel disappeared too.(probably cause it's a pinched nerve but I never had pain before the Graves.) It didn't last forever but it never went back to the way it was either.I think the shot helped me a lot. It might calm down inflammation elsewhere in the body.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

I think it is very possible that a steroid shot could help with Hashi's. Doctors give steroids all the time to patients with autoimmune diseases when they flare up. So, I think your theory is probably correct.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I had a very simular experience. I was very hypo [hashi's] and muscles were so sore I could hardly walk. I went to my dermatologist. Inside my ear itched so bad I could hardly stand it. I had been to about 6 drs and nothing had helped. He diagnosed it as dermititis and gave me a steriod shot [kenalog 40]. In just a few hrs. my ear had stopped itching for the first time in yrs. and like a miracle my sore muscles were 90% better. I could walk without hurting. I felt like a new person.

In a couple of months it wore off. I have since wondered why the steroids made me feel so much better. Did the steriods help the inflamation? Did I need the cortisone because mine was low? My thyroid dr. gave no explanation. The only thing he said was to not get labs done for at least 3 weeks after shot. I was hoping that the fact that it helped me so much would help him to know what my problem was.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

Thanks for the feedback!
    I was really shocked to have such a positive experience with the steroid shot when I was expecting just the opposite. I really do suspect my insides deal with a lot of inflammation, so I suppose the shot helped with that. I do think I'll ask my doctor to do a bit of cortisol testing when I go back for my next thyroid labs. I'm just hoping the effects of this last for a while

Closed Thread