It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Here are my ultrasound and lab results.....any input?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Question Here are my ultrasound and lab results.....any input?

I know there are many veterans that have dealt with tyroid issues on this board. I just got my results back and here is what is going on so far. Let me know what your input is, I appreciate it.

Lab:
    antibodies: mine is 57 and normal is less than 14
    Thyrogobulin: 14
    TPO: Mine is 27 and normal is less than 4

This is what I have been told . I tried to ask as many questions that I could think of since I first went the to doctor 2 weeks ago and I am trying to learn as much as possible. What is TPO? She said I am leaning on the hyper side, which initially I thought I was hypo. She is encouraging me to see an endocrinologist as soon as possible. She said I have antibodies floating around and we have to figure out why and some possible causes are cancer, autoimmune problem or an inknown virus.

Ultrasound:
    I have two nodules on the right side of my thyroid. They are heterogenius or bumpy, not smooth and then measure each at 5 x 3 mm.
    I also have a cyst that is on my neck, not on my thyroid which initially lead me to go to the doctor in the first place.

What comes next?
    Well, the endocrinologist is next. She mentioned that at this point they would want to find out if the nodules are cold or metabolized. There may be the uptake of RAI, which I am totally against.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User
    Re: Here are my ultrasound and lab results.....any input?

I'll take a shot at this although I don't think I will be very helpful. You say antibodies, not a specific, so I am assuming TAB? I am also a little thrown off by TPO and the range, just to clarify, are you sure your results are not the other way around with a reading of 4 and a range up to 27? I only ask this because 27-35 seems to be the usual high end of normal. Have you had a TSI antibody test for Graves? What about your TSH, FT3, FT4. It sounds like your endo is getting a bit ahead of herself discussing RAI. Again, I need clarification as to whether she meant an uptake scan or RAI ablation? The uptake scan is not a bad idea, although if you have more than one I wouldn't worry. Can you describe your symptoms, how long you've had them, etc?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have learned enough these past two weeks to question the doctor. I wrote down exactly what she said and I had her repeat it. It is possible that she read the results wrong. I will request a copy of my lab results. I know everyone talks about TSH, t3 and t4 tests. I guess I didn't have those ones? She referred me to an endocrinologist and I will demand those tests from them. It is extremely important that I find out what the underlying cause is.

My symptoms that I have ignored for a long time until 2 weeks ago are:

Extreme Fatigue
    Lack of energy, daytime naps
    Lots of brain fog, lack of concentration
    two bumpy nodules on my right side of thyroid.
    Cold hands and feet, and butt. Tend to not tolerate cold at all. (I live in San Diego)
    As of this past week, my eyes started to hurt, like the muscles and the eyeballs. It is painful and my husband noticed that they look a bit swollen and they are glassy and slightly bloodshot. I looked in the mirror and he is right.
    Sluggish bowels, I have had most of my life.

I suspect an autoimmune disease and I think the cause of that may be heavy metal toxicity, parasites and candida. I am want a diagnosis, but I am going towards natural treatment rather than drugs and surgery. If I happen to be hypo rathen than hyper, I would take Armour.

I appreciate your reply. It is frusterating to see that my results or tests don't match up to others. (TSH, T3, T4) When I first went to the doctor, I didn't expect any of this and I wasn't prepared to ask for certain tests.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Alexa, when is your endo appt? In addition to TSH, make sure they also do free T3 and free T4...these are different from total T3 and T4 and are much more telling. You are correct, you learn a lot on these boards. I never even knew thyroid antibodies existed until I got on here. Fair warning, most of us on this board have been to several doctors trying to fine someone savvy enough to diagnose.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will make sure they test for *free* T3 and T4. My only fear is bouncing from doctor to doctor because I don't want to end up with someone who doesn't want to find a cause or would just rather medicate without knowing a cause. I requested a copy of my lab results and my husband is going to pick it up for me today so I can see if maybe my doctor read them to me wrong, accidently. I am waiting to find an endo, they referred me to one in the South County, I live in San Diego and it is a large county. There are a ton of endo near my home, so I requested one that is close to me.....only makes sense! They are urging me to get in there asap.
    Thank you for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

Closed Thread