It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• HELP! Doctor and I are baffled

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
    snowedinne
    (female)

snowedinne HB User
    Exclamation HELP! Doctor and I are baffled

Hello everyone!

About 2 weeks ago, I visited my doctor at my University's Health Center due to a sharp pain in my abdomen that I thought was possibly appendix pain. Long story short, during the visit, she noticed that I had a visible thyromegaly. After we started discussing potential symptoms, we realized that I had many symptoms of hypothyroidism.

I have gained 40 lbs since I moved to the University in 2006, I am constantly tired regardless of how much sleep I get and I take naps that are about 3 hours long each day, I am always cold, I have dry patches of skin, my muscles are sore to the touch, and I tend to have mild to moderate mood swings. I used to dance, so I attributed a lot of this to not being AS active as I used to be, thus gaining weight, thus feeling awful. However, because of the thyromegaly, she recommended bloodwork to determine whether I had hypothyroidism.

I was pretty convinced, after reading up on thyroid issues, that this was the cause of my ailments and that I was finally going to be on the road to recovery and getting my life back. Then, I got the call.

My TSH #'s are normal.

I went back in today to talk about it and she literally said that she is baffled and has no idea what this could be. She says it could possibly be "fatty tissue," but beyond it she has no recommendations.

I have lurked on this board for 2 weeks and am hoping one of you with more knowledge on this area of the body might be able to help me.

The lab report shows:
    CBC levels all within normal ranges
    T4-THYROXINE 10.5 (range 5-13.5)
    TSH .808 (range .49-4.670)

Thank you all for reading my story.

Last edited by snowedinne; 03-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
    Celticsiren
    (female)

Celticsiren HB User
    Re: HELP! Doctor and I are baffled

Your Doc needs to check your Free T3 and your antibodies.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: HELP! Doctor and I are baffled

Dito. You need to try and rule out Hashimoto's. Also are you on birth control pills of hormonal supplements. The Total T4 you were given has a 20% error inherent before taking into account estrogen level bias. It is an indirect analytical technique that has long since been passed by the direct measure methods of FREE thyroid hormone testing.

So I recommend you get this complete thyroid panel run:
    TSH (3rd generation/sensitive)
    Free T4
    Free T3
    TPOAb and TGAb.

Also if there is visible thyroid growth and distortion a thyroid ultrasound should be ordered. It is possible to have nodules or cysts that grow unabated and are up to no good and still have a NORMAL TSH.

Also given the weight gain and other symptoms you should get checked out for PCOS and insulin resistance. Either of these can cause many hypoT symptoms as well and aggravate a mild thyroid condition.

MG

Closed Thread