It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyperthyroidism Eye Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Question Hyperthyroidism Eye Pain

After finding a lump 2 weeks ago, I just got my results back and they are telling me I am hyper rathen than hypo although all my symptoms are that off hypo. The only symptom of hyper I am now experiencing is hurting eyes, I am having eye pain and my husband told me my eyes look glazed over and slightly blood shot and a little swollen looking. I have read this may be an indicator of Graves.

Anyone else here dealt with the eye pain? What was your outcome and experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism Eye Pain

You can have thyroid eye disease with Hashimoto's or Graves. You do not have to have Graves. However those that have Graves are more likely to have thyroid eye disease than someone with Hashimoto's. I have thyroid eye disease.. but I also have Hashimoto's and GRAVES disease. Yeah I am a walking thyroid contradiction. If you suspect thyroid eye disease see if you can get a Neuro-opthamologist to evaluate you with that diagnosis in mind. They will be able to determine best if you have the issue. Mine did. I see a neurologist and neuro-opthamologist that together with treatment of my thyroid condition keeps my eye issues in check.

Most of my eye issues abated with thyroid hormone supplementation. I had to wait until my thyroid had died sufficiently to supplement though. When my thyroid hormone levels had dropped to 5 and 30% of normal range and my TSH was 2.077 I was able to start on 50 mcgs of T4 and begin my journey to treating my increasing Hashimoto's induced hypothyroidism. If you have both Hashimoto's and Graves Do not worry, Hashimoto's will win in the end. It fights dirty.

MG

Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Thanks. Did you experience this eye pain? Did anything else happen to your eyes other than just the pain? I appreciate your answers and your time!
    (I can't believe this is happening to me, especially the eye thing!)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I had pain, but the worse was actual lose of vision. I feel a migraine coming on. A real eye and head thumper where you want to peel the top of your head off... then my floaters.. little black spots in my vision would get bigger and i would start to have these blurry streaks in my vision field. If this happened while I was driving or out and about I would have to stop, pull over and call my husband/friends/family to come and get me. Once the blurry tracks appeared I had about 15 minutes of sight left. The cure well treating my thyroid and adrenal issues helped more than anything else? But before being placed on T4 and HC my MDs had me taking steroids, decongestants, muscle relaxers and sleeping in a pitch black room. I was at a high risk the first few days after for another bout if I got out in bright light SO I tended to turn into a hermit for a few days post episodes. There was a period of time I was afraid to leave the house and risk it, but since the symptoms were obvious and progressive I was able to keep functioning and only lose a few days a month. The symptoms and intensity were closely linked to my menstraul cycles as well.

The blurry vision started like streaks or a web of bright defracted light that would march from my right eye vision filed across into my left eye vision field. The best way i can describe the final effect is it was like looking at bright Christmas lights through heavy rain on a windshield. You see the light, you just can not make out any details.

MG

Closed Thread