It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Chemical sensitivity and hypot/hashis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User
    Chemical sensitivity and hypot/hashis

Can HypoT / Hashis cause symptoms of chemical sensitivity? And if so, anyone have any ideas on what to do about all the perfumes/lotions/smelly stuff at work that cause fatigue/headache?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Chemical sensitivity and hypot/hashis

I have developed vasomotor rhinitis. I am allergic to smoke and pollutants. Perfumes and fragrances get me as well. In most cases I politely tell people of my sensitivity and condition and ask if there is anyway they can go light on the fragrance.

For myself I went to an allergist and dermatologist for extensive allergen testing. My allergy shot regime showed that other than pine, ragweed, honeysuckle, nuts, strawberries, 'shrooms, seafood, coconut.. well most of my allergies got a lot better and should have been handled by my zyrtec regime.. so they tested envirnomental and contact allergens. I was off the chart. I was allergic to iodine and cobalt... that was a new anomaly for my Dermie... I was allergic to many common preservatives and emulsifiers (propylene glycol is at the top of my hit list) in lotions, foods, deodorant and more (nitroglycerin spray liquid is 60% Propylene glycol.. nothing like treating the heart and causing anaphylaxsis during a tilt table test Fun times...). I was allergic to formaldehyde and an urea complex that breaks down into formalydehyde. Coconut oil and acid and more interesting tidbits. I had to search out the 2 kinds of deodorant I could wear, toss my makeup and find new. Most of my lotions went to my mom and cousins. New shampoo and conditioner.. everything changed and I had new lists to check all my food labels by. Now I have to make most things from scratch.. bread, cakes.. but finding all my allergies including the contact ones and just avoiding exposure as much as possible has helped. I was swimming in the propylene glycol when I looked at my makeup, lotions, deodorant, soap, and shampoo and conditioner. Eliminating it went a long way toward fighting my chronic itchies.

I have an Aunt with similar sensitivities and she swears by the ionic breeze air purifiers and filters. She keeps a small one in her office. Getting a note from the MD about scent sensitivity and informing your HR department can go along way. Most the people I approach are glad to help.. if not I hack loudly and sound like I am going to plop a lung on my desk.

I was told that Hashimoto's is reknowned for causing an increase in skin sensitivity and allergen response. If you had allergies before you may want to retest to see where you stand now.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 03-13-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User
    Re: Chemical sensitivity and hypot/hashis

Thanks...I have seriously considered puting on a face mask when I go to work which would look funny but I dont care! I'm a 911 dispatcher that works 12 hour shifts in the same room as 6 other people...mostly women who wear perfume, smelly lotions, and other lovely things that give me a headache. The air purifier might work also if I get one big enough for the whole room cuz the desk areas arent seperated. I have three deodorants in my cupboard and I discovered that the smell of one of them gives me a headache and makes me test chemicals all day. Kinda strange. I never said I was "normal" though.

I've been on Levothyroxine for a couple months now and I think my thyroid has gotten a bit smaller but its still large enough to cause alot of ear and neck pain. My guess is that they will have to take it out. He mentioned that when I first saw him but said to give the Levothyroxine a try first. It has helped somewhat with my symptoms but there is tweaking to do

Closed Thread