It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help understanding thyroid tests....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User
    Help understanding thyroid tests....

I visited my doctor almost two weeks ago due to headaches among other things. I've suffered from migraines for 15 years. Every doctor that I've ever been to has just chalked them up to hormones and sent me on my way. I cannot take birth control because it only worsens the problem. I have been having extreme problems as of lately since I gave birth to my second child in September. I explained all of this to my doctor and stated that I would like to NOT have to live on migraine medication for the rest of my life and wish they could just figure out whats causing it to begin with. So anyway, to make a long story short she wanted to send me for a CT scan and do blood work. The CT scan and blood work all apparently came back normal. She kept pushing the idea that because I just recently gave birth and that because thyroid disease runs so heavily on both sides of my family that it could be the problem. Well apparently not. But, I just wanted to run the test results for the thyroid past someone more experienced and make sure they seem ok. It's not like I WANT to have something wrong, but at this point I am just so upset and frustrated that they can't figure out what the problem is. She tested other things as well on my blood work but all of it came back normal. Anyway, as far as the thyroid tests go this is what came up. TSH - 1.880 (normal range 0.34 -4.82) Free T/4 - 1.4 (normal range .7-1.8) and TT3 was 1.31 however there was no range listed for this. What does that all mean? If someone could explain I would greatly appreciate it. I just want an answer to my constant headaches. I cannot afford the migraine medication anymore....they are charging me around $110.00 for 6 pills and I just can't afford that with two small children. I am just at a loss and thought I was getting somewhere and now just feel like I am back to square one. Sorry to ramble.

Last edited by Delia79; 03-19-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Help understanding thyroid tests....

Sorry, I can't interpret thyroid tests, but at a glance, yours seem okay.

I suffer from migraines too--(not thyroid related, just since my daughter was born 13 years ago)----I've been managing pretty well lately by preventing them--once they hit hard there's nothing I can do. I have noticed that when I eat, especially in the morning, it causes one, so now I take excedrin with my food and I've been doing better---they also come with my hormone surges, so I take excedrin to prevent them then as well. I take prescription only when it's too late, so that never seems to work well.

I think the best thing to do would be to look into a pain management center, or a headache center. Is your doctor a neurologist? If not, see a neurologist first (I think they usually do MRI's, not catscans in my experience), and then ask them for a headache center---you may have to travel---I know NYC has a great one, and they would probably find ways to help you.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Yeah I see that they are normal which is not surprising to me. I didn't necessarily think it was thyroid related...the doctor was the one pushing that. I do however think it's some sort of hormone that is causing it. Can they not test your hormone levels? I mean, it seems to me that if you thought it was hormones, you would TEST the hormone levels....not just thyroid, kidney, CBC and B12. I am just frustrated and at a loss. I have two babies to take care of and a job to go to. I don't have the option to crawl in bed and stay there when I get a migraine. OTC medications are like taking candy to me. They do nothing. I had one doctor suggest that I take 800mg Ibuprofen when I first started noticing it coming on. Then if that didn't work, take my migraine medication. The Ibuprofen does NOTHING. And I can't afford the migraine medication anymore. I have other issues such as super heavy and long periods. They last about 10 days. On top of that I have short cycles, only about 24-25 days, so I feel like I am always on my period or having PMS. I've been on a beta blocker for about three years due to sinus tachycardia with NO apparent reason behind it. I am constantly breaking out in hives every day. I have psoriasis. I just feel like I am falling apart. I can deal with all of the rest but the headaches have to go. I just wish there was some other option besides the migraine medication because I just can't afford it anymore. I have not been to a neurologist....she mentioned possibly sending me to one, but I haven't heard back about that yet. Hopefully they can come up with something for me. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Just another quick question for anyone who may know....out of curiosity....what is the normal range for TT3? I would just like to know where mine fell even though it's normal. They didn't give me the range for that. Thanks!

Last edited by Delia79; 03-19-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

It sure sounds like your issues may be hormone related. Ten day periods are not normal. How was the results on your CBC? Are you anemic? Heavy periods are usually caused by the progesterone/estrogen ratio being off, with progesterone not being high enough.

It also sounds like maybe you have some autoimmune things going on (hives, psoriasis). Did they check your thyroid antibodies? You may need an ANA level drawn also to rule out autoimmune issues.

I would try and find a good doctor that will do some additional testing, esp. the hormone levels and autoimmune issues. I hope you find the help you deserve.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Kitty,
    Thanks so much for your response. It helps to know SOMEONE out there will listen. I don't understand these hives. I get them every day. They aren't all over in large areas, but I get them every where; my arms, back, neck especially. Some people have said they could be stress related but a lot of times I will wake up with them and I know for a fact I am not stressed out when I am sleeping....my favorite time of all is bed time! I am not sure what is causing them but I know for sure it's not something I am using or eating. It's just weird. I've had the psoriasis for about six years now...I've heard it's usually hereditary and my brother does have it. It's super annoying but I can't afford the medicine for that either so I just deal with it. They did not test for thyroid antibodies....I am not sure what that really even means but I know they didn't test for it. I don't know much about thyroid issues...only that a lot of people in my family have them. My mom's sister and aunt and my dad's mom and sisters all had Graves disease. My dad is hypothyroid. That is pretty much all I know. Sorry for the ignorance. The other tests the doctor ran were as follows:

Kidney Function
    Sodium - 139 (136-145)
    BUN - 10 (7-18)
    Chloride - 107 (98-107)
    Creatinine - 0.7 (0.6-1.3)

CBC
    WBC - 801 (4.0-11.0)
    RBC - 4.32 (3.5-5.9)
    (F) Hgb - 14.0 (11.5-16.0)
    (F(=) Hct. - 41.3 (35.0-48.0)

VitB 12 - 426 (239 - 931)

They also told me over the phone that my sugar was 82 although they didn't even mark on the card they sent that they had taken my sugar level. I don't even begin to have a clue as to what most of these tests mean...all I know is they said they were all normal. I don't know if this makes sense but I've felt for a while now that my body just seriously overreacts to things. Like my heart racing for no reason. I don't know if there is even a such thing as someones body recating to certain things more than normal but that is what I feel like. I am just so tired of dealing with these headaches and want some answers. That is just the worst thing as far as I concerned. I could definteley do with out the 10 day periods but at least they aren't always there and don't cause so much pain.....

Last edited by Delia79; 03-19-2009 at 06:53 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

CBC
    WBC - 801 (4.0-11.0)
    RBC - 4.32 (3.5-5.9)
    (F) Hgb - 14.0 (11.5-16.0)
    (F(=) Hct. - 41.3 (35.0-48.0)

VitB 12 - 426 (239 - 931)

Is that a typo on your WBC count? Is it really 801 or 8.01?

Also, your vit. B12, although in the normal range, is a little low. I'm surprised that your hemoglobin is 14 with 10 day periods. I would have thought you might be a little anemic, but not according to your CBC. So that's good news, no anemia.

With all the thyroid issues in your family, I would definately push for more testing in that area with emphasis on the thyroid antibodies. This will show if your body is attacking the thyroid and killing it off (autoimmune). Hives can be a symptom of autoimmune thyroid disease, or can be an autoimmune disease in and of itself where your body is attacking your skin. Have you ever tried an over the counter antihistamine like Claritin in case it is an allergy?

I would put all my energy (what's left after taking care of the children) in finding a doctor that will do all the testing that you need to have done. It's frustrating when they do bits and pieces of testing and you never get the true picture.

Last edited by herekittykitty; 03-19-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Ooops, sorry Kitty. Yes, my WBC is 8.01 NOT 801. That would be a whole other problem, huh? You are right about the hives thing. I mean I guess it makes sense since I also have psoriasis which from my understanding from the doctor is just your skin replacing itself too quickly...basically an overreaction. I guess I am just tired of doctors in general. I have been to so many that I just feel like forgetting it all togther. If it weren't for the headaches I would! I don't believe I've ever had a problem with being anemic except during both of my pregnancies. And no I've never tried the claritin....I try to stay away from antihistimines because they tend to make my heart race even worse than it already does.

Closed Thread