It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Labs advice needed :)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
    alphabetsoup
    (female)

alphabetsoup HB User
    Labs advice needed :)

Hi All...

I have a nodule on my thyroid (non-cancerous, but we're watching it). I have been dxwith anxiety attacks, but I strongly suspect it is thyroid driven as they seem to get worse when my hormones are out of balance (before or after my period or when I've been dieting and exercising so my hormone levels change again).

I feel like I switch from hypo to hyper, but spend most of my time hypo (cold hands and feet, can't lose weight without extreme measures, hair in places it shouldn't be, extreme fatigue, etc....).

Advice on the following labs would be helpful. I feel like I'm borderline...but the doc says 'no meds' and won't even refer me to an endo! (THIS is why I hate HMOs!!)

TSH .676 (range .450-4.50)
    Thyroxine (T4) 10.4 (range 4.5-12.0)
    T3 Uptake 32 (range 24-39)
    Free Thyroxine Index 3.3 (range 1.2-4.9)

Hemoglobin Alc 5.6 (range healthy adult: 4.8-5.9)

And the weirdest one...

Chromogranin A (which is to check for malignancy)
    7......the range is 0-5....so I am considered HIGH..yet my doctor doesn't want to follow up on this?!?!

Your advice would be helpful. I'm trying to get in with a new GP and a gyno that treats endo issues....

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Labs advice needed :)

Only the first 4 tests in your list relate to the thyroid. They constitute an archaic and not very accurate panel of tests. But as far as they go, they indicate no probable thyroid issues. However... If by chance you take estrogen replacement or estrogen-containing birth control, you need to insist on having a free T4 test in place of that total T4 test. Estrogen causes a false elevation of the T4 result.

Closed Thread