It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashi's Hypo but with hypersensitivies-Anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Hashi's Hypo but with hypersensitivities-Anyone else?

I have hashi's hypo but I have noticed over the past several years I am more and more sensitive to:
    noise
    light
    commotion(for example, being in the center of a large metro area, with cars and busses and lots of noise etc)
    People who are loud talkers
    People who send out an aggressive, angry vibe (this happens in large metro areas unfortunately)
    People who are rude or flippantly obnoxious

These things do not aggravate me like I am going to lose my temper --- sometimes you see people on the street who truly have lost it. In fact I do not have an anger reaction or show frustration with others.
    It is more like I want to get to my secure quiet place. And I seek out/enjoy the company of others who are kind, gentle, softspoken, courteous.Thank god my husband is a soft spoken, kind gentleman.
    So, I find ways to minimize these things which are a sensory assault. I play soothing music on my mp3, wear sunglasses to block brightness and keep out urban debris from getting into my eyes as it is kicked up by busses and cars. And I find a quiet place to go into for awhile if I have to be out and about-a church, a museum, a quiet cafe.
    Does anyone else with hashi's hypo find that their general level of tolerance for commotion, noise, bright light has changed with their condition??
    My husband has a theory that it is brain connected ---we have read in research studies that hypothyroid changes flow of blood to certain areas of the brain.
    I used to enjoy the hustle and bustle of major metro areas -that is over! And, either rude, obnoxious people are multiplying greatly or my tolerance is becoming zero. As I said I do not engage in tit for tat, it would drain my energy and destroy my calm- so I do not go there.
    I am seeking peace.

Last edited by osteoblast; 03-20-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Hashi's Hypo but with hypersensitivies-Anyone else?

Hi Osteo,

I'm with you except for the Hashi part. I carry ear plugs, keep the sun glasses handy etc. My husband & I seldom agree on a movie cause I hate the loud shoot 'em dead types. I always take a book & leave if the movie turns out bad. Peace is my middle name!!! Fam

Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
    b1791
    (female)

b1791 HB User

Yes, absolutely! I've always been an extremely laid back person but in the last year or so I find loud noises (kids screaming, tv on too loud, etc) drive me crazy and make me cringe. These things would never have bothered me before.

Beth

Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
    Drain Bamaged
    (female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hey~lo and Hi to all.....

Osteoblast,
    I'm glad you've brought this up! I've been trying to live with what your sharing and asking for too long...and feeling quite alone.

Hashimoto's for 26yrs.

There's been what I've called an Overwhelming Sensory Overload for me...
    I've not been able to connect to any specific physical obsticals I have. Hashimotos' is not the only disfunction.....

* Sound, has become painful ~ loud ~ sharp. I can warn my hubby that a fly has entered the house. I hear the cat walk across the grass as she comes toward the house. There really isn't much that is not heard. Hubby gets tired of being asked " Whats that" ? shut it off ! Pwease. I was woken up from a deep sleep to a pulsating - piercing sound I could not relate to. I followed this sound into the different rooms turning my head to follow which way the sound was coming from.. Are you ready for what it was... It was a C size battery in a wall clock
    located on the front room wall. What a relief to remove that. Good night.... sounds startle me it's like being shocked.

* Light, has become too difficult to deal with. I've gone as far as covering the front windows with Aluminum Foil, Dark Curtains. I'm waring Sunglasses when I open the front door. It's difficult to go outside ~
    * Colors are beautiful, but I've got to be careful as the energy they emit are not enjoyable. There are some colors together that create a 3-D effect in my vision.
    * Touch, I'm unable to fold socks, paperbags, and that varies. Becareful, cuz me being touched isn't easy either. Feeling other peoples energy weather good, bad or endifferent can be disturbing.
    * Smell, Absolutely wonderful when flowers bloom. In cooking, the aromas are great! Hubby was thinking bout renting me out for the resturants.
    * Showers, it takes me a bit of time to get mentally ready to expierence what is again overwheming sensories.
    * Being in Public is an expierence that is really odd. I've got to be cautious as to who, what & when. I do become exhausted quickly. At the Mall
    and Grocery Stores the different stores use a variety of lights and are like Kryptonite to my energy level...my mental clarity... I've had to walk out of stores before I was totally drained and unable to drive home..due to confusion & disorientation inablity to focus which brings on a bit of panic... My ability to tolerate spacifics and my patience is so much less. I end up excusing myself and going to bed.
    I don't want to overwhelm you with this info. As one would ask ~ What are
    you taking as far as meds ?

This sensory issue doesn't occur 100% of the time. Although, enough to be cautious for me.... Cuz, if I need to go to store I have to evaluate strongly due to driving and other people on the road.
    There's a connection somewhere somehow... Your Hubby could be right on pertaining to the brain... I've had quite afew head injuries since I was young.
    I also notice when I do become startled. The surge of adrenaline really reacts on me...

I do hope this post finds you doing better and your questions are being answered.

Best Regards to you and all.............

Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Sensitivity to light is actually a well known side effect of hypo and yes, I wear sunglasses on cloudy days. When I go to the beach then the sun bouncing off of the bright sand pierces my eyes. It feels almost like ice cream on a cavity except my pupil is the cavity, eek.

I have always been sensitive to sound but I think that I have always been hypo since birth. When I was in third grade I took a hearing test. I heard a beep that no one ever hears. They were astounded and replayed the beep just to see if I could hear it again. They made me wait for liek 1 minute before they played the second beep, and low and behold I raised my hand when I heard it again.

I'm speacial

Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Yes we are a special breed it seems

I really am puzzled by this hypersensitive reaction to things that previously were not much of an issue . And, some things that were previously mild issues--like lighting and noise in big box stores is now way too much!

I think I am trying more now to not let stress overwhelm me since I do feel that it would be bad for me having been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition . I want my antibodies to quiet down and limit inflammatory conditions in my body which may be aggravated by stress.

So maybe my heightened awareness of these stressful aspects of modern life has a self protective function to let me know that the situation is not healthy for me.

As with one of the other posters ,I also have a heightened sense of feeling where another person is coming from. It is like my intuition has sharpened. And, I now know to trust and rely more on my intuition of people and places.

Last edited by osteoblast; 03-20-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
    Drain Bamaged
    (female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hey-Lo to all....

and Thank-You so much for validating

All that I'd shared on my last post....Was overwheming enough for me to share or to have anyone read... Yet, what a relief, I'm really not alone...

The hightened since of people's energy . The Intuition sharpened.
    In agreement, in listening to ones body telling one what is safe or not.
    What is known as, " The fight and flight response " kicks in. And it's alive and thriving. In clarifying; I'm not a fighter ~ I'm a flighter

In the vehicle with someone else driving...AAaaahhhhh ~ I do inquire as to who is doing what, and which way, to point of destination. I've got to have the visual in my mind so I can prep for what I call " Safety Zones ".

I am a walking, talking ~ Wheather Station ~ Energy changes in the air/enviornment with animals and people.
    Earth moving under my feet, way ..... ~ ~ before it registers with U.S.G.S. ~ I tell Hubby the approx. strength..& day. He shakes his head and smiles, saying ~ I'm gonna rent you out to the Gov. or I get a quick call from him, confirming what I'd shared with him about the Earth moving under my feet.

Should I be a member of some sort of "Super Hero Group" ??

On that note & in closing for now ~ More power to you all, and to all, a good night.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

For me its def bright lights, and I can feel physically sick on hearing high pitched noises. I cannot bear it when my kids play their music from their mobile phones it sounds tinny and whinning. I tried to explain to my hubby that I can actually feel the noise as well as hear it. I cannot stand crowded shops either although I used to be a fully paid up member of shopaholics anonymous before hashi's lol, again the florescent bulbs make me feel like I want to run and keep on running until I get home. Escalators affect me too, I never had a problem before but maybe its mainly coz they are usually lit by flourscent tubes too. Glad others feel the same and I am not going insane xxx

Last edited by daisy01; 03-28-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
    Drain Bamaged
    (female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hey, Daisy01

Thank-You, from me to you... on adding to this post...

As I reviewed what I'd written... I was concerned no one would add to this post.. As I'd be the one they'd stay away from...
    What we feel ~ It's so very real !!! isn't it...
    I was sitting here at the putor my hand is on the mouse. I could feel these micro-mini vibrations coming through the mouse itself... Puzzeled, Yes !

Earlier that evening of the 24th about 8:30p.m. I did tell hubby there was going to be another earthquake; 25th - 26th, there were clusters of them.

In pondering these many mysteries ~
    Could it be, the energy ect. sends out micro-mini vibrations.?????????

Lots of Soft Hugs ....

Last edited by Drain Bamaged; 03-28-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
    hawaiidreamergu
    (female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

I know it's been a few days since the last post here, but this is my first time back to the board in somewhere around a year.

I, too, experience hypersensitivities. Lights are an issue at times.

Sound is one of the biggest problems. I keep the radio at a comfortable level (to me) where I can still hear the words and tune, yet my bf complains that he can barely hear that it's on.

Touch is also another big one for me (didn't read through all the posts so don't know if this has been mentioned). Having someone too close to me, or touching me can really bother me. Sometimes almost to the point where I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack. Being too close bothers me all the time, but being touched sometimes is ok, and sometimes isn't. And I have yet to find rhyme or reason as to when.

A weird one that is sometimes an issue is food textures. It can't be too crunchy or too soft, and it can't have really crunchy and really soft mixed together.

Ok, so my body is a little strange. But who's isn't ?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
    Drain Bamaged
    (female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hi Five to you both...

I am so understanding you both !! it's amazing... Truely validating...

I've gotten to where I place my hand up to slow the incoming hugs...and kisses. To accept or delay the gracious greeting/s ~ Gotta be cautions for those whom come up behind you...
    I back myself up against a wall so I can control whats coming my way..

With this sensory issue. I find will come on in different strengths or waves; I do try and fight it. Then there is the times ~ that, Yo ! Wowzer !! get me out of here...I've got to calm down. Sometimes ~ dependant upon situation I will avail myself of calming med.
    I've had to remove myself from 2 or more people group settings..due to what feels like a panic attack.. There with you hawaiidreamergu

Right on Daisy ~ I've done the simular with so many..
    Did think the same way with Lottery.. hahahahaaaaaa haaaaaahaha. I figured ~ I'd have to donate to the "Super Hero Group" that we are all in...

Best to you and yours...

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Hashi's Hypo but with hypersensitivities-Anyone else?

I am light sensitive, noise sensitive, and sensitive to all that you mentioned... however given my high estrogen and testosterone levels and naturally combative nature.. I don't run to the quiet place unless I have a full blown migraine.. instead my red headed temper may flash... Why? No clue.. but before my thyroid issues I was quite mellow every where BUT the soccer field.

MG

Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
    ngtstrm
    (female)

ngtstrm HB User

Quote:
    Does anyone else with hashi's hypo find that their general level of tolerance for commotion, noise, bright light has changed with their condition??
    My husband has a theory that it is brain connected ---we have read in research studies that hypothyroid changes flow of blood to certain areas of the brain.
    A really good question! It's a relief to me to find other people who feel this way. I was beginning to think I'm losing it, because no one I know is like this, except for me! And this is absolutely the case with me - especially light and noise hypersensitivity, as well as detecting "negative vibes" from other people (the "positive vibes" just energize me, so that's okay... I need all the help I can get! ). Sometimes noises with a lot of base tones (loud music, explosions, etc) or sometimes very bright lights will cause me to think I can actually "feel" waves going across my skin. I even felt waves going across my arm in the MRI machine yesterday - which really messed with my mind and caused me to think I was crazy... I mean, WHO can really FEEL magnetic waves?! And I keep getting told (by medical personnel) that these sensations are related to my fibromyalgia and migraines, rather than Hashi's! IS this another aspect of Hashi's that no one has mentioned to me? I really have gotten NO information from the docs on what symptoms to expect, other than the death of my thyroid (eventually) and having to be on meds for the rest of my life...

BTW, your husband's theory happens to coincide with one of the "new" theories on what causes fibromyalgia (blood flow changes in the brain). It'll be interesting if there's ever a connection found between the two ailments, because I do think they are related somehow.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

YES..
    When my Mom was undiagnosed hypo (atleast I think she has been hypo from a LOONG time) when I was growing up .... listening to pop music etc would trigger something and the next thing we knew it .. she'd be giving it to us well and proper and she'd have a BAD headahce..

(I 've become a bit like that now as well because I am hypo I think )
    Also I have a feeling being hypo and facing the things hypoTs face -- depression .. feeling not so well .. adds stress which in turn makes us more irritable than others..

Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
    Drain Bamaged
    (female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hello All

Hoping this post finds you all doing well ....
    Yes, leaping with Joy!! that this "Q" was asked by osteoblast...

It's apparent that those whom have posted share a common ground. Hashi's ~ I'm inquiring of us all if we have other similarities Is there a possibility ????

Myself~ These are a few of my favorite things...

Hashimoto's
    Ankloysing Spondylitis (R.A.)
    Fybromyalsia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome
    Sjogrens Syndrome
    Chronic Sinutitis

~ I listened to a lady @ Docs office.. She'd shared she gets Migraines days before wheather man posts rain coming. Her hypersensitivity is possibly connected to barametric changes.
    ~ ~ In seeing Doc. & sharing the Pain Game & Hypernessssss her sugjestion was to see a Neuro-phycologist. Their specialty is Nerve and the Brain Response. How we preceive pain can be turned around. Then she inquired as to when I see Endo.. Thyroid meds could be off... Oh, man !!!
    I'll go to Endo.. I don't wanna add another Doc....not that I don't mind sharing * Crumpets and Tea...

( *The years of seeing this Doc and that Doc ~ When they'd come in to the room to asses me after waiting 40min. ~ They'd always say: Hi, how are you? What are you here for ? Ummm, I'm thinking deep now. Uummmm, I just spilled my guts out on the paperwork you were suppose to read 40min. before coming into the room & I got-tah repeat the repeat ? Sew, the "Q" is asked: What are you here for? I'm here to have Crumpets and Tea with you..Pray-tell why would you ask ? ...It throws em for a loop, I tell ya )

Best Regards to all.

Last edited by Drain Bamaged; 04-02-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Closed Thread