It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroidectomy and Back to Exercise??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Thyroidectomy and Back to Exercise??

After a thyroidectomy, how soon can you get back to your exercise routine. I like to lift weights alt. days. and walk 6mi plus a day. Will I need to wait several days after surgery or will it be more like 2 wks?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Thyroidectomy and Back to Exercise??

I haven't had surgery but from what I understand resuming exercise would depend on how soon your level of thyroid hormone reaches therapeutic level. Also, if the parathyyroids are destroyed or take time to start working, then there are more issues as far as exercise. Fam

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

That's definitely a question for your surgeon. I don't do heavy exercise, just a mile or so a day, I was tired the first week from surgery---took it easy the first 2-3 days, so I waited for the second week and built up slowly (and that's that I don't do much!)

Things like carrying weights etc, are definitely something you should discuss with the surgeon.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
    REE43
    (female)

REE43 HB User

I was pretty tired for the first 2-3 weeks with somewhat limited motion in the neck . I would ease into things, I couldnt even find the energy to go back to a desk job for 3 weeks . Good luck to you.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User

I would wait and see how you feel after a couple of weeks. Walking is probably fine, but heavy weights might harm your incision. Ask your surgeon or wait til your incision is visibly healed.

Closed Thread