It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroidism and pulmonary hypertension

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
    ihatemythyroid
    (female)

ihatemythyroid HB User
    Hypothyroidism and pulmonary hypertension

I have hypothyroidism. By the time it was finally diagnosed, my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). was 394. Highest TSH count my physician had ever heard of. Now, nearly 2.5 years later, it is close to being within normal range. I am on Synthroid, 125mcg. I was recently diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, through an echocardiogram. My doctor says that this could very likely be due to my thyroid problem. I noticed the symptoms of pulmonary hypertension about 1 year ago, as my synthroid dosage was being increased. It was just detected, because it is not a common disorder. Does anyone know if the synthroid, or having hypothyroidism (hashimotos thyroiditis)--which is an autoimmune disease can cause this, and if so what can be done to treat it?? I have an appt with a cardiologist soon to figure out the cause of my pulmonary hypertension and treatment, but I strongly believe it's due to my thyroid, and am very curious about treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
    Babs659
    (female)

Babs659 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroidism and pulmonary hypertension

I know hypo can cause heart disease. I guess it's possible that such an extremely high TSH could have wreaked all kinds of havoc on your health. No, I do not think it was the Synthroid. It's an artificial hormone meant to replace what your body should be producing. It's not a medication, pr se, and side effects are pretty rare. Good luck, and I'm glad you got help.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
    Graves54
    (female)

Graves54 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroidism and pulmonary hypertension

I had hypertension with hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism. Hopefully your doctor will test the Ft4 and Ft3, and not dose you by TSH. Ft4 and Ft3 show the actual circulating thyroid hormones in your bloodstream.

Most of the doctors that I have had appointments with, want to only check TSH.

Closed Thread