It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyrogen and thyroglobulin tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
    sminerva21
    (female)

sminerva21 HB User
    Thyrogen and thyroglobulin tests

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone would be able to clarify some things for me.

Two years ago I had a TT for papillary with follicular variant (3 cm nodule). A few months later I had an ablation dose of RAI, and last week ( a year and a half later), I had a tracer dose (5 mci) of Thyrogen RAI as a follow-up. My endo said that the scan found a small concentration in the thyroid bed, but she can't really conclude my results until she gets my thyroglobulin test results back (which is any day now). She said if the thyroglobulin test comes back low, I'm in the clear. If not, I'll need another ablation dose.

My thyroglobulin levels have been tested every 2-3 months for the past year and have consistantly been very low, which my endo was happy about. What I'm confused about is would the thyroglobulin test be any different while on Thyrogen? From what I understand, TSH is what suppresses thyroid tissue recurrences, so I guess I'm confused on how it all correlates.

Also, I was hesitant to even do this second tracer dose of RAI. I know that research says it's harmless, etc. but I truly hate having radioactive material in my body, and all the isolation that comes with it. If my endo recommends another ablation dose, is it necessary that I have it done? Is it an option to just monitor my thyroglobulin levels for a while? I need to avoid another round of RAI at all costs! being away from my job for four or five days is just not possible until 2010.

I'd appreciate any advice or information. Sorry this is so long!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyrogen and thyroglobulin tests

Yes, having your thyroglobulin tested with thyrogen---which gives you an artificially high tsh is more accurate than a thyrogen test without it.

Also, have you had a clean scan yet? If you haven't, you should probably have a whole body scan to make sure you're all clear since you're taking the thyrogen anyway---you don't have to isolate for the tracer dose---only the treatment dose. so you won't have to take time off except for the appointments--I didn't miss a full day, just half days for the shots (you need two) and then half day for a scan time.

Last edited by Reece; 03-23-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
    sminerva21
    (female)

sminerva21 HB User

Thanks, Reece!

Yeah, last week I had the tracer dose with the Thyrogen, which was a year and a half after my first ablation dose, and Friday after my scan (which showed a "small concentration of cells in the thyroid bed") I had a thyrogloulin test, and those are the results I'm waiting for.

I was just confused why the thyroglobulin test was so important while on Thyrogen, as I've had the test done so many times before. My endo said that she won't be concerned with the small concentration that showed up on my scan if the thyroglobulin test comes back negative.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Yes, my endo. agrees with yours, he's not even sending me for the scan this year, just the thyrogen/thyroglobulin blood work, because he says they find such ridiculous stuff in the scans that often don't mean much.

Closed Thread