It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Doctor's appointment and new thyroid blood results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User
    Doctor's appointment and new thyroid blood results

Hello all thyroid dysfunction friends,

I am going to my GP on Wednesday and just got my latest blood tests back. They had changed again. In December, I was hyper (hashitoxicosis)and told to wait until February to retest. I retested in February and was then hypo and told to retest in 3 months. My online friend, MG, said not to wait that long with a free t4 of .04 (range .08-1.9) Thanks, MG! I needed that support and advice.

I waited about 5-6 weeks and just got my new results. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in December of 08 ,so I am still on the learning curve.
    These are my latest results:
    TSH : 9.13 ranges ( 0.3-5 )
    Free T3: 2.5 (2.3- 4.8)
    Free T4: .8( .8-1.9)
    Total T4: .95 not sure but I think 4.6-12?)
    I was told that my endo only treats according to TSH and last time my TSH was at 4.04, so my higher TSH should bring me closer to getting well through medication. I am meeting with my GP and would like any help on what I should request. Are there better brand names? How often do I retest my blood levels? Should I do any more blood testing before I start? Should I be sure that she coordinates with the endo?

I think that my GP, a woman, will follow my lead. I just want to know how to lead her!

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Doctor's appointment and new thyroid blood results

FIrst WHAT??!!?? Did I infer correctly that your Endo sais it was good that your TSH was getting HIGHER on thyroid medication? Huh? I have a pair of steel toed boots that you can have just for him if you can fit in a size 6.5. If that was the comment you need a new MD!

Let's give you some facts to argue over with your GP.
    Normal TSH since 2002, 0.3-3.0, by American Association of Clinical Endocrinology standards. Your local testing facilities are not up to date. This is VERY common in analytical lab testing facilities unfortunately. Stress you continuing symptoms and the known facts with your GP. Include the lab with the calculated percentage. Some don't do the math.. they just look and see normal. So save them the effort and do the math ahead of time.

Formula:
    Free T Value (Range:Lower Limit - Upper Limit)
    Statistical calculation: (Value - Lower Limit)/(Upper Limit - Lower Limit)*100 = Percent of Normal range.

Your GP should have heard that optimal thyroid hormone levels are above 50% of normal range SOMEWHERE at SOMETIME. Push for that acknowledgment. Here are my results and opinions using the above formula.

TSH : 9.13 ranges ( 0.3-5 )
    This is CLEARLY still hypothyroid. It also says your body wants MORE thyroid supplementation. So your MD should be willing to up your dose my 25 mcgs minimum and have you retested in 4-6 weeks AGAIN!

Free T3: 2.5 (2.3- 4.8) You are 8% of normal range here.. barely in range at all. Optimal is 50-80% for women of childbearing age. Menopausal women can be optimal 40-70% of normal range... it depends on body chemistry. You need more thyroid hormone.

Free T4: .8( .8-1.9) This is 0% of normal range. You are not in that optimal 50-80% normal window. This also is your body SCREAMING NEED MORE T4! Hopefully you GP will listen and boost your medication.

Keep us informed.
    MG

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User

Dear MG,
    I am so glad that you wrote because I owe you a BIG THANK YOU! I know that you have helped many people of this health board and I am just one. It is because of you that I was more assertive in getting medical help and intervention.
    I think that I was misleading in my last post. I meant that the GP thought my higher TSH would get me the needed blood result to start on medication. My endo only treats according to TSH and over 9 was clearly not normal. Well, I was not able to get into my endo until June but I did see my GP. I am now, finally, on thyroid medication.
    MG, you wrote that it was barabaric to make someone wait 3 months with clear hypo results. I think that you are right. I started on the lowest dose of a generic Synthroid medication (25 mg) and I felt better the first day! I was shocked how quickly it helped.
    I hope to encourage others going through this crazy thyroid stuff to be their own advocate as you helped me be!
    I am having my blood retested in 6 weeks and I know that some adjustments may be made but I am no longer taking 8 Aleve to get through the day. I feel so much better already!!!
    Thanks again, MG, and to others who helped when I first posted a couple months ago....
    Thanks for all

Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You are welcome. I am glad that my suffering and my family's suffering has helped as many as I can reach. So far I feel it is worth it. We have to stick together and help each other. Too many people do not question the MDs. My mother and her sisters were miserable for YEARS the MDs would throw out that your TSH is normal Cow flop and tell them it is in their HEADS! When they tried that with me, well even a 5'2" blonde can intimidate, I refrained from drawing on my martial arts background and hit them with research and chemistry, you can not deny the blood results when the proper tests are done. I have let more than one MD have it and the Endos I have seen have been the worst. I did get a glow of satisfaction making the last one admit the error of his predecessors and that my IM and I had everything under control and he couldn't help me further. I let my mom's and my aunts MDs have it as well. they were willing to sufferer in silence.. I wasn't willing to watch it when it was unnecessary. When we became a united front and got the proper testing and overwhelming research and facts in line the MDs risked malpractice issues if they didn't treat us properly. You have to hit them with validated research and standards as well as carefully documented symptoms and result histories.

Too many sufferer because they do not question. We are ground ZERO! We know our own bodies. WE KNOW when something is wrong. If the MD is too STUPID to be able to find the source of our ailments then they deserve to be educated by WHOMEVER can educate them. Dismissing someone with symptoms is not acceptable.. but I will not climb on the soap box.. my wrists are hurting from my catch up phase.

I am pleased that the T4 is helping. Word of warning. T4 can give you a brief high before symptoms return. You are in the thyroid hormone party phase. Systems that have been deprived are jumping for joy now they have T4 and the converted T3 to play with. As more of these systems activate to deal with your metabolic deficiency your body is going to realize 25 mcgs is insufficient and symptoms will return. This honeymoon phase tends to last for 10-14 days. In that 10-14 day window keep an eye out for a retunr of the hypoT blahs. At 14 days your T4 levels will be equilibrated and your body will know if it is enough.. too much.. or too little.

MG

Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
    Montanan
    (female)

Montanan HB User

Hi MG,
    I so appreciate your advice and the advocacy role you have played for me and others with thyroid issues. I will watch for the thyroid medication "honeymoon phase" to see if my symptoms return or not. It helps to know that there is a honeymoon phase! I will keep reading posts to see if there is someone out there I can help until my next questions arise. All the best to you and others who helped me in this first health journey.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Keep us posted. Just offering a sympathetic keyboard is helpful in many cases. As a fellow sufferer you can relate to how alone and depressing the fight for care can be. But we can not give up. If we do not fight for ourselves and our loved ones the MDs will just let us wallow and toss us the occasional antidepressant as it is needed in their opinions.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 04-06-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Closed Thread