It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had this with methmazole or atenolol????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
    smith316
    (female)

smith316 HB User
    Question Has anyone had this with methmazole or atenolol????

Hi, I have been on methmazole (tapazole) and atenolol since Dec. 08 just 3 months and I have gained 15 lbs, and I sometime feel like my muscles don't want to work, like if I walk alot my legs just get to feeling like I can't take another step, and if I do something like hang clothes on the clothline my arms start hurting and feel like I can't lift them up anymore. Sometimes I feel bloated like I have water retention and alot of time I have to go pee all the time. Has anyone else had these symptoms or problems while taking these meds? Should I call my dr.? I am not yellow and they test my liver function every month. Is this normal with graves hyperthyroid?
    Thanks
    smith316

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this with methmazole or atenolol????

Atenolol and other beta blockers frequently cause weight gain. They slow metabolism, which in the case of hyperT is a good thing. That's why they are prescribed for it.

HyperT, as well as hypoT, can cause weak muscles. So if you are either under- or overtreated with the methimazole, that could be the reason. I don't know whether atenolol or methimazole will cause weak muscles in and of themselves, but I don't think so.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Hi! I am hypothyroid and take atenolol ( have SVT). I have had none of the problems you listed... it has been the only med that helped my tachycardia without making me feel awlful!
    I agree with Midwest- When is the last time you had your thyroid levels checked?? I had similar problems with muscle spasms/fatigue when my levels are not optimal.

Perhaps you should have them rechecked .. just to be sure.
    Good luck.

Last edited by tired47; 03-24-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

My father was taking atenolol for high blood pressure. He said that he felt as though he couldn't move. He would sit in a chair all day and didn't even have enough strength or motivation to pick up the remote control to change the channel on the T.V. He quit taking it and his weakness went away. He has always been very active and this was intolerable to him.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes, my hubby was put on atenolol awhile back for high blood pressure. he was really dragging.....could hardly pick up his feet. They changed him to another one(not a bb) and he was fine. Maybe you could cut the dose down some? I have graves but they never gave me one, so I don't have experience. I have heard they make you feel this way.If you have circulation problems they are not good to take, that I know.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
    b1791
    (female)

b1791 HB User

I was completely exhausted with Metoprolol (another beta blocker) so I was switched to a calcium channel blocker (though I never started it because I swung back to hypo).

Beth

Closed Thread