It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Went to endo - more labs needed - anyone heard of these?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
    jackiewriter
    (female)

jackiewriter HB User
    Cool Went to endo - more labs needed - anyone heard of these?

Hello everyone. Went to the endo's office that treated me for hyperthyroidism 12 years ago. Sometimes, driving the extra 40 miles is worth it. Much better than going to a doc that didn't know me from Adam.

I didn't see the same doctor who treated me before, but this one was okay, she listened. And I think it helped that I had my husband there this time. When I forgot to mention something (happens much too often) he reminded me. At one point, he looked at her and said "I just want my wife back."

She sat with us and fully explained her thoughts on my recent labs. She did say that my TSH from the recent one was perfect - the lab range is .39 - 4.19, and mine was 1.74 (the reading from my hospital stay a month ago was .31 and their lab range was .39 - 4.0.) She said that was concerning, but could have been due the meds they gave me? She didn't comment on the ECG results that tipped the one cardiologist to think - hypothyroidism.

She said she doesn't check T3, and that my recent T4 results weren't that low. Mine were .69 and the normal range is .71 - 1.48. On the anti-thryoid antiboties - mine were a 22 and the cut off was a 20 on the normal lab range. She said they were only slightly elevated and that don't often mean anything? Make any sense to anyone here?

So, here's where we are - she is doing more extensive lab work - checking glucose (she did mention that my glucose was high on the last lab), FSH, and prolactin, crotisol, B12, estradiol, Lipid panel (for my very low chol), and CBC w/DIFF (how is it different from the regular CBC, anyone know?) She wants me to fast this time.

Some thoughts she had - low adrenals, pituitary gland messing with the thyroid? menopause? Vit D difficiency. Possibly thyroid, but she kept saying that she hardly thought that was it based on my labs. She said that normal people (whoops, I'm not normal that have my symptoms have numbers through the roof on their TSH and their antibodies. Mine are only slightly off, she kept saying. Not compliant with my raging symptoms.

She seems to be leaning toward menopause, but I thought that made you have hot flashes, not cold frickin' freezing chills all the time? And I fessed up and showed her some homeopathic meds my friend at our organic grocery store recommended for me. But the doc sort of frowned on those big time. My friend recommended the L-Tyrosine supplements (she takes these for her depression and said it worked wonders), B-12 supplements, and two herbal products called thyroid support by natra bio and throid support metabolic enhancement by gaia. The endo told me not to take them till I do these labs this week. And I kind of got the impression that she didn't want me to take them - ever. But if women are claiming they help relieve these awful symptoms, what's the diff? Oh well. There are a lot of territorial issues between western med docs and homeopaths, that I do know.

So that's all folks. I guess if it's not Hashi's, I won't be able to stick around this board much longer. But I still feel that I've learned a lot here, and hopefully, something will help me to get on that plane in two weeks and not sound like a babbling idiot at that conference. This morning I began to come to the hard realization that I might just have to cancel the trip.

Stay tuned, I'll let you all know. I'll get the blood drawn Thursday morning, and she said she would have the results in about a week. The last endo wanted me to wait a month and "see what happens", but this one is acting quickly. Good good.
    J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Went to endo - more labs needed - anyone heard of these?

IMO, she's a typical endo, and she's wrong, I would bet my lower 40 acres that it's your thyroid. Why?
    1. You are positive for Hashi-causing antibodies.

2. Your FT4 is below range, for cripes' sake! A healthy person would be expected to have FT4 between 1.1 and 1.3 on that lab range. There is no doubt in my mind that at least some - if not all - of your symptoms are due to that below-range FT4. Most people who are successfully diagnosed as hypothyroid still have FT4 and FT3 within range, but always low-range. Remember.... Yours is below range. Totally unacceptable and worthy of treatment.

3. You may indeed have low adrenals... Might even have pituitary problems (although I doubt it.) I will agree to the possibility. But, this woman doesn't even recognize Hashi's when it smacks her between the eyes. Don't think I'd trust more complicated issues to her.

4. I see a homeopathic MD for my thyroid issues. He got me to optimum thyroid health, when an internist and endo never even got close. I'm not an all-out alternative 'freak', but I am as sure as I can be that allopathic medicine often does more harm than good. I forgive that more than I can forgive an allopath who won't accept that a good MD always has something more to learn. Your endo has more to learn.

I would not accept this as the final word on the matter, if I were you.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Midwest, thanks for the reply because I was thinking the exact same thing. My endo also ran these same tests too !! We can't even find the vitamin D, it has gone missing somewhere. I had repeat thyroid labs last Friday and I demanded the FT3, said to heck with the CMP, and they complied! I don't have the results yet and with the way this office runs, I'm not sure I will ever get them. In fact, a lot of my tests either never got run (I heard him order them, or they seem to have disappeared). Jackie, if I were you, I would look elsewhere, sorry to disappoint.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
    jackiewriter
    (female)

jackiewriter HB User

Thanks Midwest and Sparkie! Your sentiments echoed what my husband was thinking all along during that appt. At one point when the endo said that my symptoms were much too severe for someone whose thyroid numbers aren't that off, so my husband did say to the endo, "well, her mom was told by her GP for years that her glucose was borderline for diabetes, so her headaches and tiredness must have been from something else....then her mom had a stroke."

I just get so tired of going to these doctors, and having them act like what I'm exeriencing is nothing at all and having them pooh pooh these labs results as "nothing major." That's what I heard for 2 years with my gall bladder until I found a gastro who insisted those meant nothing, that my symptoms were mostly coming from the gall bladder. I kind of got the feeling too, that the endo was mildly upset that the cardios in the hospital and my GP even mentioned thyroid to me, she did make a comment about that - saying she couldn't understand why they would have even brought up the thyroid when my labs weren't that far off.

I'm going to get the labs done tomorrow or Friday morning, and will make sure I get a copy (ever notice how many doctors seem to just want to call you with labs, but not give you or send you the actual results? I mean what's the problem, they're our records after all.) I've already located 2 integrative physicians in my area, that's for the advice Midwest on that point. But no more tests with this endo, I will just do these because I have the lab orders here. I'm going to take charge of my health and get myself back onto the road to recovery.

J

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
    jackiewriter
    (female)

jackiewriter HB User

You said it One! A diamond in the rough - good way to put it. Thank goodness you found someone to treat your Hashi's. Doctors who "think outside the box" and pay close attention to patient's symptoms are out there, just very, very hard to find sometimes. I was at my wit's end when I was suffering with my gall bladder disease, I gave up going to doctors for a few months and just accepting vomiting, nausea and diarrhea as part of my normal daily routine (just had to spend a day or two in the ER once in a while suffering from dehydration.) Which is why I'm going to take quicker action addressing this thyroid problem. It gets so discouraging that people just end up "dealing" with their illness and barely geting by, getting sicker and sicker every day. Been there, done that.

J

Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Dito on Midwest. I couldn't have said it better. The fact she won't Test your Ft3 level given the LOW FT4 result and normal TSH is distressing. I will not see an MD that refuses to look at FT3s. I want a full panel every time I go in.. no less will do. The adrenal testing may be revealing. It is possible you have an adrenal issue. Do not start OTC supplementation with thyrosine or anything else until after your testing.. otherwise you could corrupt the results.

Good luck and let us know when you get your results in.
    MG

Closed Thread