It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• another person with test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User
    another person with test results

At the advice of Dream77, I wanted to quickly post my labs and make sure they look decent. I've been dealing with several different issues for years, but more so as of lately since having my second daughter. My doctor among other things wanted to test my thyroid due to a family history and also given that I just had a baby six months ago. So of course it all came back normal, but they listed that they tested my TT3 but gave no range for that particular test. I just hoped someone here who is experienced with this stuff could take a quick glance and make sure all looks ok. I tried finding the roundabout range for a TT3 test and it was all confusing to me because I kept finding numbers in the 80-100+ range. Plus, I just don't trust doctors offices to pay attention so I want to make sure it looks right. If so, then I am off to search for other reasons for whats going on. Anyone?

TSH - 1.880 (normal range 0.34 -4.82)
    Free T/4 - 1.4 (normal range .7-1.8)
    TT3 was 1.31 however there was no range listed for this.

The only other thing that was really of any consequence that they tested was my Vit B12 which was 426 (normal range 39-931)

Last edited by Delia79; 03-26-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User
    Re: another person with test results

They should also test
    Thyroid antibodies
    Ferritin
    Vit D

Among the first things..
    What are your symptoms..
    ATleast your TSH and T4 looks not too bad but if you have a conversion issue from T4 to T3 you could have problems and that is hard to see without a range on the T3.

I would just go to another endo and still push that I am having symptoms.. if you just hada baby they might push for the post partum depression theory and you'll have to stick to the fact that these issues have being on for a long time and you are not depressed. (assuming you're not)

My thyroid levels have been fine or very close to optimal ranges for a while but only recently the TSH crossed the 3 mark.. I believe a failing thyroid can also cause tonnes of symptoms but that won't be diagnosable by most docs.

If you have antibodies though, an endo would probably start you on a low dose of HRT.
    Also if you do have thyroid disease then you Vit D and Ferritin will mostly be off also (like most of us thyroid sufferers) and those come with a plethora of symptoms as well (non specific) which the docs will never agree and acknowledge as the cause.. but thse can be supplemented and you could feel alot better in a few months.

Push to go to another endo (if possible g**gle the doc and call and you can openly ask the nurse if they follow the revised guidelines that a TSH >2 needs treatment)

Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Labs use different ranges. Where your result lies within the range is what matters. Your TT3 result is quite odd, as I've never seen a range that includes that value; but there's no sense trying to find a range online into which that result will fit. It's much easier to simply call the lab that ran the test and ask them. If you don't know the lab ... say, if the blood was drawn at the MD's office and tested there or sent away to their favorite lab ... you have to ask the MD's office. You are entitled to your results by law, so don't feel bad about pressing the issue. There is just no way to guess at what your result means without that reference range.

That said, your FT4 is just about perfect for most people. The TSH is minisculely [Is that even a word? lol] higher than the average healthy person's, but TSH doesn't count for all that much anyway. Unless your FT3 is extremely low, I would doubt your thyroid is responsible for symptoms. But... I noticed in another thread that you have chronic hives? With a family history of thyroid problems, you absolutely must have your TPO and Tg antibodies checked. TPO antibodies are a common cause of chronic hives, and familial thyroid disease is almost always antibody-driven.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

I haven't seen an Endo before....this was all just from my famiy doctor. And I don't know that I would call them symptoms, only because I am not sure they are symptoms of a specific thing, thyroid or not....they may all just be individual things and not connected. I am just trying to rule things out and find an answer. But here is what is going on....migraines, daily episodes of hives, constipation, heavy, long periods (usually 10 days or so) extremely tired (but I do have two small children at home) waking in the middle of the night and having a hard time falling back asleep (this could also account for my fatigue) Psoriasis, dizzy spells, extreme bloating, easily losing weight when not really dieting or increasing activity (although I am not going to complain about that so much ) feelings of low blood sugar type symptoms ( all of the sudden I'll become very weak and shaky and feel the need to eat so I don't pass out, even if I've eaten previously within a good time frame) aches and pains that are non specific, numbness in arms and hands, occasional fast heartbeat (although I take a beta blocker to control this) and extremely oily face and breaking out, but extremely dry every where else. This is pretty much what comes to mind....of course that is enough for me. The worst of it or the most annoying and hard to live with are the migraines, hives, heavy, long periods and the Psoriasis.....

Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Midwest,
    I must have posted just as you were posting your response, so I didn't get to respond to your post before. So first, thanks for looking at the results....I really do appreciate people's opinions....especially since I know NOTHING about this stuff! I don't know that there is anything wrong with my thyroid....I was thinking something more along the lines of female hormones being out whack? But the doctors have always tested me for thyroid since it's on both sides of my family. My dad swears that I will probably end up with thyroid issues one day because he too experienced an array of things for years and when finally diagnosed hypothyroid in his 50's, it all came together for him. I am just trying to sort out all of the things going on and trying to come up with something...anything. The hives are weird to me. I've been getting them for a long time, here and there, but the last several months have been out of all manner of reason. It's every day, several times a day. I told my husband the other day that maybe they are psychosomatic (sp?) and I am causing it to happen somehow?

I will call the doctor and ask for the range of the TT3 test that they did. But I do have a few more quick questions for you if you don't mind, since you seem to be so knowledgable about this stuff. First, if it were possible that the office messed up and they actually did a FT3 test and not a TT3 test, would that make more sense? I had come across a lot of people posting FT3 results and they were more closely to what I had been given, not in the 80-100+ ranges... And secondly, I know I had my TSH test last year and it was 1.32....is it pretty normal for it to move around like that within a year....from 1.32 to 1.880? I know you said it's not a good indicator anyway, but I was just curious. And as for the antibody tests, I will ask to have those too....I hate calling and seeming like a crazy person but I know I have to ask for what I want or I won't ever get it....

Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The range for FT3 doesn't seem to deviate nearly as much from lab to lab as those for the other common thyroid tests. I've rarely seen a range other than 2.3 - 4.2 ng/dL or 230 - 420 pg/dL (which is the same thing) for FT3. If, by chance, your test is actually FT3, and the lab used the typical range, your value would be below the norm. Way too low. That would indicate a conversion issue that could account for some symptoms.

Your 2 TSH tests don't indicate a significant change. TSH can fluctuate up to 3 full points from morning to night, so a fraction within a year's time is meaningless.

If you don't want to press the issue with your MD, and if you have the means, you could self-order TPO and Tg tests from an online lab. If I had the same problem with chronic hives, I would want to know if antibodies might be causing it. Sure, it can be psychosomatic in nature, but TPO ABs are probably more common than that. They can even be responsible for hives even if thyroid function is normal.

If you have concerns about your female hormones, the Healthboard that deals with that subject would be the place to air them.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Great, thank you Midwest. I am going to call my doctor and first off ask about the weird TT3 test result. Then I am going to tell her about the hives. I really appreciate all of your help!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
    middaughny
    (female)

middaughny HB User
    Unhappy Re: another person with test results

For years doctors would comment upon checking manually my thyroid, order tests and then tell me I was "in the normal range". Finally I took a written list on my symptoms and an ultasound of my thyroid was ordered as well as more blood tests. The blood tests came back as "in the normal range" but the ultrasound showed 3 very large nodules and huyndreds of small ones. I was also have trouble swallowing and breathing. I was offered 3 options: 1. just keep and eye on it; 2. do a needle biopsy (very painful); 3. take it out. I opted for removal based on 20 years of symptoms. Doc tor found very large nodules on the back side impenging on my esphogus and windpipe. Now comes the long trial and error period of trying to adjust my meds. Started on the generic synthroid - didn't work now trying Armour Thyroid. It is a T3 replacement. Synthroid is a T4 replacement that then has to be converted to T3, thought I would skip the middle man so to speak. Still get so tired that I am in pain. Some dy I am I am only awake for 4 th 6 hours. In addition I am now covered in hives on my lower back and buttocks every morning. Also my palms and my inner elbows. They disappear a few hour after I wake up. Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

There are a lot of reported problems with the newly formulated Armour so I suggest you switch over to Nature-throid or Westhroid or another brand.

Also have you checked your adrenals? If they aren't functioning properly you won't get much benefit from the thyroid meds. The best way to check them is with a saliva test you order online (try the Canary Club). With your long history of thyroid dysfunction it's very likely your adrenals are exhausted and they need to be treated first.

PS, it might be best to start a new thread with your concerns--

Last edited by javelina; 07-07-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Closed Thread