It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I picked up my lab and ultrasound results.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Question I picked up my lab and ultrasound results.....

I had my lab and ultrasound done a few weeks to a month ago. I decided to get a copy for myself so here are my results. Please let me know how you interpret these........ This is all I know and my endo appointment is a week away. Also, these labs and ultrasound was done before my thyroid eye disease started as well as my weight loss, excessive thirst and loss of appetite.

LAB:
    Thyrogobulin me: 14.5 reference range: 1.3 - 31.8
    Thyrogobulin AB me: 57.5 reference range:0.0 - 14.4
    % recovery me: 87 reference range: 80 - 120 (Not sure what this is?!?)
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) AB me: 27.4 reference range: 0.0 - 3.9

ULTRASOUND:
    The right lobe of the thyroid measures 2.8 X 1.0 X 1.4 cm.
    The left lobe of the thyroid measures 3.8 X 1.5 X 1.4 cm.
    The thyroid parenchyma is diffusely heterogenuis. There is a
    5 X 3 mm hypoechoic nodule noted within the lower pole of the right lobe. There are no focal lover lesions noted within the left lobe. Within the right side of the neck and higher than the thyroid, there is a cystic structure that measures 10 X 16 X 14 mm, and it contains at least one thin septation.
    IMPRESSION:
    Heterogenuis thyroid with solid-appearing nodules (2) in the right lobe as described above. The appearance is non-specific, possibly representing a branchial cleft cyst. If additonal imaging evaluation is needed, consider CT or MRI of the neck.

Any thoughts? Where am I? Do I sound like you and your results?

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 03-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User
    Re: I picked up my lab and ultrasound results.....

I started to reply to this post once, and then canceled. I am a bit confused (as others may be hence the lack of replies). You previously stated you were told you were hyperthyroid and I am not clear what they based that on. In fact, you haven't had a complete thyroid panel done. Where is the TSH, FT3 and FT4? Now, with that being said, you do have an elevated TPO which is indicative of hypothyroid not hyperthyroid. I also am not sure what "% recovery" is. Have you had a TSI antibody somewhere along the line (testing for Graves) and perhaps that was also elevated? The size of your gland looks okay, nodules are very small. When my MD examined my gland, he felt inflammation and nodularity, then I had an US and it was normal, so things can change. I am chalking mine up to yet another thyroiditis. Let us know if you have any additional lab work.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I only saw the doctor once. These are the inital tests they ran and they she sent me to an endo, which in finally this coming Thursday. I assume or will at least demand all of those other tests that you mentioned.

Intially I thought I could be hypo, but the doctor mentioned that I am looking to be hyper. I will see what the endo says.......but for the last few weeks I have been more hyper and it has been obvious to me. I don't sleep well or much and I have never had that problem in my life. I am a small person and I lost 7 pounds in a week and after/during that my appetite dropped. I am extremely thirsty for water all of the time. I have started having intense eye pain at times, all of the classic symptoms of the TED.

When I went for this intial visit to my doctor, I had found a lump on the throat and I also felt as if something was stuck in my throat. After a week I went to the doctor, but I was having no other symptoms at the time. An ultrasound showed me I have two nodules and the original lump is a cyst. It has been after this that I felt as if I went downhill, especially the eye pain.

I don't mean to be confusing, I am just going off of what I know so far and I am really trying to understand everything myself. The thyroid is complicated, so I am trying to learn as much as I can..... I will post what happens with my upcoming Thursday appointment which I am looking forward to.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and it has chewed your thyroid up. Hashimoto's is WELL known to cause periods of hyperT activity that may be caught in the blood as thyroid tissue is destroyed and T4 is dumped into your system as a result.

You will go hypothyroid. Hashimoto's is seeing to that. Additional imagery needed? Well a CT of the neck wouldn't hurt.

What were your last TSH, Ft3, Ft4 levels? Depending on where you are thyroid hormone supplementation may be beneficial.

MG

Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the info MG. I go to tne endo tomorrow, so I will be tested for the T3, 4, etc. These were inital tests done by my family doctor. I am currently hyper and have many signs of symptoms of that including the eye disease. I am not sure if I have Graves ot Hashi's yet. I am looking forward to my appointment tomorrow so I can see where I am in all of this. I will let everyone know......Thanks again!

Closed Thread