It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
    Tueama27
    (female)

Tueama27 HB User
    Question Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)

I have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid and put on the med Levothyroxin. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with this medicine? Did you loose or gain weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
    Angelinchat2
    (female)

Angelinchat2 HB User
    Re: Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tueama27 View Post
    I have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid and put on the med Levothyroxin. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with this medicine? Did you loose or gain weight?
    Hi,
    Levothyroxin is the generic form of synthroid which is what I am taking. I had no problem with weight gain until for some reason my anitbodies sky rocketed and my thyroid was screaming for attention..i put on 20 lbs in about 3 months. At my age (43) and with other health issues it doesn't want to come off like it did in my 20's lol

Jenay

Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User

Was that before or after taking the thyroxin? I've only just started taking it (4 days) and was hoping it would make it easier to lose weight. I've never been slim but over the past couple of years I've put on over 2 stone which I would very much like to get rid of!!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
    Angelinchat2
    (female)

Angelinchat2 HB User

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune diseases so we are wondering if that is what threw it off. I know for 15 yrs I had no problem with weight gain...so you should be fine I would think. But then again lol I'm no expert either.

Hashimotos
    IBS/Gerd
    Bipolar
    PTSD
    Panic and Anxiety Attacks
    lower back/hip/leg pain being checked

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
    Tueama27
    (female)

Tueama27 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I have noticed while being on the med. it has greatly suppressed my appetite.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User

it can cause weight gain in some people, weight loss in others, and no change in some. I think weight gain is more common than weight loss, sadly. There are TONS of side effects that are possible.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

I gained 30lb in the first 7 weeks of taking levoT felt worse than before diagnosis but after 8 months went onto Armour and this suited me better. just remember that no matter what you take its not a magic cure all pill and it wont make you better overnight. You need to give your body time to recover from the trauma of being hypoT whilst it is now also running at a faster pace than it was. Dont worry if your housework still needs doing and you need to decorate the living room etc etc..... they will get done when you are well again so dont feel guilty about any of it. if you broke your leg you would not run a marathon once the cast came off would you? treat your body in the same way, gently and slowly build up your stamina. Eat well and take your rest whenever you can. (not easy) when you have a family but it will be worth it in the long term.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
    jentex13
    (female)

jentex13 HB User

Hello, I am new to the board. Diagosed with hypothyroidism in early 2/09 and put on synthroid. I feel more energetic, brighter spirits, and have lost 10 pounds. the meds seem to have helped to decrease my appetite. we will see what the future holds. hang in there while your body adjusts to the medication. I am glad to be on it.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jentex13 View Post
    Hello, I am new to the board. Diagosed with hypothyroidism in early 2/09 and put on synthroid. I feel more energetic, brighter spirits, and have lost 10 pounds. the meds seem to have helped to decrease my appetite. we will see what the future holds. hang in there while your body adjusts to the medication. I am glad to be on it.
    I hope that happens with me!! I've been on it a week and honestly can't feel a jot of difference! I was scared to take it incase straight away I felt weird, now I feel like I was silly to be cautious cause I just feel the same as always.

I am dismayed to hear some people have put on weight taking it, I mean isn't part of the weight gain because of having an underactive thyroid?!?! You'd think if your metabolism starts to speed up it'd be easier to lose weight.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

[I am dismayed to hear some people have put on weight taking it, I mean isn't part of the weight gain because of having an underactive thyroid?!?! You'd think if your metabolism starts to speed up it'd be easier to lose weight. [/QUOTE]

my GP reckoned I gained weight coz I felt better and was awake more often( I suppose more eating hours in the day!!!) lol
    In the jan 05 I was having barium meal xrays etc coz i was losing weight at a rapid rate>>>> fast forward to Jun 05 got hypoT diagnosis (TSH unmeasurably high so must've had it a long time) put on levo and hey presto.... 30lbs extra luggage. Felt far worse than pre-diagnosis on levo, I only had severe psychotic problems none physical apart from extreme tiredness before that.
    I gained a shed load of weight in my teens when I went on the birth control pill too, so I dont think bio identical hormones suit my system. I know I am suited to Armour because I have my life back.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
    marisolsuarez
    (female)

marisolsuarez HB User

i used to be HYPER then after the radiation i whent into HYPO so i was put on 150mcg of levothyroxine and i started loosing a lot of hair but after a couple of months my hair stoped falling but i gained 20 pounds. so i guess its different for everyone. when i was HYPER i lost the 20 and when i whent HYPO and started on Levothyroxine i gained it all back in like 2 months. now i am Hyper again but i dont like feeling HYPER because i get a fast heart beat and anxious i hate that

Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
    Tueama27
    (female)

Tueama27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honey72 View Post
    I hope that happens with me!! I've been on it a week and honestly can't feel a jot of difference! I was scared to take it incase straight away I felt weird, now I feel like I was silly to be cautious cause I just feel the same as always.

I am dismayed to hear some people have put on weight taking it, I mean isn't part of the weight gain because of having an underactive thyroid?!?! You'd think if your metabolism starts to speed up it'd be easier to lose weight.

Exactly that is what i don't understand. I hope I don't gain weight, I mean what is the point of putting me on something that will make me gain and I need to loose lol.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User

What's the difference between Levothyroxin and Armour? I've heard it mentioned a few times, and if the Levo doesn't work out I'd liked to be armed with the information when i speak to my dr.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #14
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User

I looked it up and for those that don't know, levothyroxin is synthetic (ie mandmade) and Armour is made from powdered pigs glands - yuck!! I think I'd have to be really suffering to give that a try, supposing my GP even let me have it that is.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #15
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

I've been on that medication now for at least a year, which in that time my dose was raised twice. Personally I don't feel any better, I am still tired and fall asleep easily, I can;t even read my kids a bedtime story due to increased tiredness. I recently had my labs drawn to see if my thyroid was still low and the DR said everything looked good.....But, I have always been a real small person, and although my eating habits have not changed I have gained over 20lbs in the last year, which I don't know about most I can not afford to go out and get more clothes to fit.

I am also having issues w/ swelling in my stomach, legs, feet and ankles, but the DR don't seem to be none worried....any pressure on my stomach and it hurts, but even w/ the swelling the extra pounds on the scale is a great concern to me........I have also in combination of the thyroid med's I take black cohosh....It use to help, but it seems that don't help anymore either....So to be honest i have no idea if my weight gain has to do w/ my meds, or what the problem is here...but I had no benefit from the Thyroid meds......

Closed Thread