It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Vitamin D Test Results.. Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
    REE43
    (female)

REE43 HB User
    Vitamin D Test Results.. Please Help

The NP at my Dr ordered vitamin D levels . Had TT 12-08 for thyroid cancer
    well I called Drs office & whoever gave me the results said normal, I asked for a copy & when I got it this is what it says:

VITAMIN D, 25-HYRROXY 34 RANGE 20-100

VITAMIN D, 25 -OH,D3 34

VITAMIN D 25,-OH, D2 <4

SO TO ME THAT MEANS THE FIRST TWO LINES ARE NORMAL BUT THE LAST IS LOW.. THEY ARE TRYING TO TELL ME ITS ALL NORMAL , SO I CALLED QUEST AND THEY SAID THE DR S OFC COULD CALL THEIR MEDICAL DIRECTOR
    FOR CLARIFICATION. ITS LIKE NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS TEST?

Last edited by REE43; 03-27-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
    howerd
    (male)

howerd HB User
    Re: Vitamin D Test Results.. Please Help

I am by no means an expert, but I have read a bit about Vitamin D and it's my understanding that the "normal" reference range for Vit. D is pretty well meaningless ... those in the know seem to think 50-90 is the optimal level for Vit. D. When tested I was at 32, and my Doc says he wants to get me to 60. He's got me taking 10,000iu a day of D3!

They're doing a lot of research now on D and how important it is. You might want to look into it and see if you're doctor is aiming too low.

Eisenhower

Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

I think the 25 hydroxy D is the one doc's usually concentrate on. Your number is similar to mine (39) in the low-normal range. I had upped my intake of vit D supplement for the past 6 mths to 1500 from 500 and thought my number would go up. - Instead, it stayed exactly the same at 39.

I've heard most doc's like it to be in at least a mid-range.
    Leea

Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
    singingirl
    (female)

singingirl HB User

hi - new to this chat on vitamin D levels. i just got some lab reports from my doc who says my vitamin D level is very low 20.8. i'm trying to research it on line to see what it all means. they want me to come in for an appt., because she may want to put me on some sort of rx vitamin D? couldn't i just take supplements? is this a serious thing? i never had a doctor tell me of low vitamin D levels. thanks.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

REE43 - your Vit D is within range, but at the low end of the range. It needs to be in the upper end of the lab range.

Mine too was low and was just below bottom of the range. My doctor immediately got me onto 5000IU daily as he said he didn't want me getting an autoimmune disease later in life. A short while later we found out i had autoimmune Hashimoto's.

Vit D is very beneficial for the functioning of your adrenal glands too.

A lot of people aren't aware of how serious Vit D deficiencies can be and a lot of doctors don't routinely test for it either. Vit D aids in the absorption of magnesium, iron and zinc, as well as calcium. A lot of those with thyroid issues are low particularly in iron so you should get your ferritin (iron stores) shecked too.
    Vit D also helps with muscle strength, hormone production, healthy immune system, chronic fatigue, deperession, fibromyalgia, PMS symptoms, infertility, can help prevent type 1 and 2 diabetes......... the list is quite long on the function of Vit D within the body.

These days we're told not to eat animal fats/skin, we must eat low fat, stay out of the sun, hardly anybody eats home grown chickens or fish, they are all farmed and given hormones and chickens for example are all grown indoors where they don't get any sunlight. This means the chickens and their eggs would lack Vit D and if you are eating these you wont be getting any or hardly any Vit D naturally from these foods.

I used to 'assume' that as i ate a very healthy diet that i'd not need to supplement things like iron and Vit D, but after testing i've been found to be extremely low. Lifting my levels has helped with me feeling much better. Now i'm not on adrenal fatigue meds any longer either

Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
    singingirl
    (female)

singingirl HB User

thank you audrey for leaving such a great explanation. i see the doctor on monday, so i will get full results on the other labs that were drawn and will check on the ferritin, etc., i know it was drawn. last year i was given the diagnosis of osteoporosis, not critical, but at the low end of the range. i started taking Ezorb for that, and someone else had told me about vitamin D3. Because Ezorb doesn't need vitamin D to be absorbed i stopped taking the D3, but i can't imagine that that is what caused this low reading. you said it was at the low end of normal at 20.3? do you know what the normal range is? thanks again.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

singing girl - i'm not sure what your lab range is, but your D's ought to be in the 'upper' part of your maximum lab range.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
    singingirl
    (female)

singingirl HB User

audrey - i just got my lab report back, and also had an appt. with my primary physician. my 25-hydroxy test was 20.8 with the reference interval being 32.0 to 100. that looks pretty damn low to me. the doctor put me on 50,000 units of vitamin D once a week. it's a little gelcap, for 12 weeks and then she wants to retest. whatever the problem is, i hope this helps it.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It's good to see you are taking something for your Vit D. Hopefully this will help things. I saw improvements for myself, but it was difficult to say whether it was due to a higher Vit D and Ferritin or due to cortisol med's for my adrenals or thyroid meds. My doctor does stress that raising my Vit D is one of the things which has helped me get of adrenals meds.

Hoping you feel better soon

Old 05-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
    singingirl
    (female)

singingirl HB User

thanks audrey. i will post results in about 12 weeks.

Closed Thread