HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Upper normal TSH, above 1.0 T4, no antibodies, 23 years old... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/682743-upper-normal-tsh-above-1-0-t4-no-antibodies-23-years-old.html)

theysayloveis 03-29-2009 08:13 PM

Upper normal TSH, above 1.0 T4, no antibodies, 23 years old...

Hi, I posted on another thread about a gallbladder polyp I was diagnosed with. During this time I also had a bunch of tests run by my doc to make sure everything is okay.
I'm 23, female and two years ago I weighed between 115 and 125. I'm only 5'2" and now weigh between 165-170.
Two years ago I started gaining weight and rapidly. I have been unable to lose literally ANYTHING. I got so desperate about a month ago that I was just in denial that I put myself on a strict 1,000 calorie diet for 2 weeks and didn't even lose half a pound. I should also mention that I am far, far, far from sedentary. I'm a waitress at a nice restaurant, I teach a university writing class and am a full time graduate student :)
Okay, so that's my background.
I have had no so good experiences w/ docs the past couple of years, since my weight gain began I knew something was up.
This past week I had a bunch of bloodwork done and my doctor gave me some results. I have to wait (forever) until April 29th to see an Endocrinologist so I was hoping for some advice, experiences, etc based on my information:
My antibodies (anti-thryroglobulin antibody count) is <20 IU/mL
Thyroid Microsomal Ab (TP) is <10 IU/mL
TSH is 3.5 uIU/mL
T4, Free is 1.02 ng/dL
My doctor said I'm "upper normal" and she suspects my endo will have more info/do more tests. Obviously, this is not much to go on. I've done some research and learned that I could possibly have "moderate hypothyroidism" and I have a LOT of the symptoms (my hair turned brittle and dry from being full and shiny, skin is always dry, periods have become unbelievable even though I was on B.C which I've since stopped, etc.)
I'm sorry this is so long. I've really had some bad experiences with doctors (my GI doc told me I need to become a vegetarian and stopped eating candy right after I told him I had an eating disorder in h.s. [and my boyfriend is a dietitian so I know better] and my last internal med doc told me that my body is just "meant" to be larger [my mom is taller than me and weighs 110 and my dad was muscular and NOT obese. It has never run in our family to be this large]). Please relate! Advice! Anything! Can my weight gain have anything to do with these results perhaps? Ideas? :) Thank you!

midwest1 03-30-2009 07:41 AM

Re: Upper normal TSH, above 1.0 T4, no antibodies, 23 years old...

Please provide the lab range for T4, free. We can't tell if your result is low without the range.

That said, your high-normal TSH is suspicious. Your result for FT4 would be low on most typical ranges. Too low. Those two things combined mean that you are hypothyroid and would probably benefit from thyroid replacement.

Yes, most of us have run into our lifetime fill of bad MDs. I hope that won't happen to you this time.

The other tests you need are: another TSH, free T4, [u]and[/u] free T3. I'm not sure another round of antibody tests will be useful, but I can tell you that the antibodies responsible for autoimmune hypoT won't show up in tests up to 20% of the time. Just testing negative for the doesn't always mean you don't have the disorder.

Word of advice... Even though it sounds as if weight gain is your biggest concern, don't press the issue too hard with the new doc. Sometimes they believe we want thyroid meds only as "diet pills", so you don't want to give him/her that kind of ammunition to refuse you.

Good luck, and let us know what happens next.

theysayloveis 03-30-2009 01:03 PM

Thank you. I'm pretty sure that the range went up to 2.5. I have the results at home and I can post all of my test results later tonight. I appreciate your help. I don't think that T3 was tested, and if it was, it was under another name.
And, thank you about the advice on the weight issue. I have a really hard time talking about it so I try to be as up-front about it with the docs as I can. Guess I shouldn't on the 29th of April when I meet my endo.

dream77 03-30-2009 01:30 PM

theysay,
You didn't mention other things such as fatigue.. constipation .. depression ... brain fog .. other aches/pains.. do these plague you ?

theysayloveis 03-30-2009 02:19 PM

Hi, yes, all of those, actually. I also lose my balance a lot which is probably not related but definitely not usual for me.
Also, here's some more results from past lab results:
2005 TSH 1.63 range 0.35-4.94, didn't test T4 or T3
2006 TSH 2.61 range 0.34-5.60, didn't test T4 or T3
2007 TSH 3.93 range 0.34-5.60, T4 was 0.62 range 0.50-1.50
2008 TSH 4.37 range 0.34-5.60, T4 or T3 not tested
2009 TSH 3.5 tange 0.3-4.7, T4 1.02 range 0.80-1.80
And, as a note, the weight gain started in 2006. I was told I was "normal" up until I changed docs and this last test.

midwest1 03-31-2009 07:32 AM

You are definitely hypothyroid and need to keep looking for a competent MD who will recognize it.

Your TSH is consistently above 3, and your T4 is very low. The American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists says TSH of 3 or more merits at least a trial of thyroid hormone. You have clearly hypoT levels. Don't take 'no' for an answer... Get yourself some treatment soon!

theysayloveis 03-31-2009 09:10 AM

Thanks so much Midwest. It feels so good to finally know what's been afflicting me. What really rattles my cage is the fact that when I started gaining weight and feeling tired my family doctor tested this stuff and told me that I was normal. She put me on antidepressants.

midwest1 03-31-2009 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=theysayloveis;3939970]What really rattles my cage is the fact that when I started gaining weight and feeling tired my family doctor tested this stuff and told me that I was normal. She put me on antidepressants.[/QUOTE]
That really grinds my gears, too! A person who goes to the doc's complaining of weight gain... Then is given one of the class of drugs that most freqently [B]causes[/B] weight gain! Completely absurd!