It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!! Lab Questions. High TSH WITH High T4 levels???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!! Lab Questions. High TSH WITH High T4 levels???

oh my!! I feel like DEATH.. I was just about to go to the ER as I have been running a fever off and on since the 17th of March with horrid flu symptom feelings and major stomach issues and stomach pains.

I went to my primary last week and he ran my TSH and my T4 levels. I have been diagnosed with so many different things over the past couple years I am just about ready to give up... But here is the latest with my thyroid stuff and the dr couldn't tell me if it was the free T4 level or Total T4 levels they tested. (although I think it was the free)...

Does anyone know what this is now pointing to? I have NEVER had a high T4 reading yet!!!

TSH- 5.16 (0.35- 5.5)
    T4- 13.3 ( 5-13) actually with looking at these ranges it might be a total t4 reading...... Any who, they are both high??

I also have MAJOR headaches no matter what I try. And every evening I start running a horrid fever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User
    Re: PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!! Lab Questions. High TSH WITH High T4 levels???

When you figure it out, let me know. I have the same pattern, although not as extreme as yours. When my TSH rises out of range, my FT3 and FT4 are at their highest. When my TSH is in the 1 range, my FT3 and FT4 drop to barely in range. I know this makes no sense. The MD I saw mentioned thyroid hormone resistance but did not address it. He said there are still a lot of things not understood in the medical community about thyroid...at least he admitted it!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

From what I can find by doing a little research I come up with either cushings or pituatary tumor! And I believe the cushings is actually caused by a tumor?!? I am not 100% sure though..

This is all crazy. Lol. I feel horrible though I do know that if nothing else!!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
    marisolsuarez
    (female)

marisolsuarez HB User

at the beggining before getting diagnosed with graves decease i had fevers on and off for days i felt bad during night then there where times when all i would do was throw up and my heart rate will go really high it got to the point where i had to go to the er because i was throwing up A LOT and the er people said i could have gotten a stroke or heart attack because my levels from my thyroid where so high. eventually i had radiation done and now im trying to ajust to a proper dosage of a pill. but after all my symptoms i had graves decease

Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I also had the RAI done in Feb 2007 for supposed Graves. Now I am wondering if I actually had hashi's or both OR if it was all along something going on with my pituitary. I have read that if there is a tumor a TSH secreting one that it will make it look or seem like one has hyperthyroidism or graves when is actuallity it is a tumor on the pituitary secreting hormone....

Sooo I am hoping my endo will be open to really finding out what is going on. I also have been having MAJOR stomach issues. So I am not sure if something is going on there and it is making everything else in my body go wacko OR it is something else..

P.S. As I was typing this I got a call from my endo's office and after he reviewed my recent labs with these new numbers he said they look FINE and to follow up with my PRIMARY DR!!!!!!!!! WHAT???????????? I swear I GIVE UP.. I feel like just going to the ER and demanding they do something or I am not leaving there. This is just soooo frustrating....

Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

First you need Ft3 and Ft4 results. You also need to look at your RT3 production and ACTH and cortisol levels. There are two causes for low T3 levels. Too much cortisol or poor T4 conversion. 2 out of 3 patients have T4 to T3 conversion issues. Cushings is much rarer. Don't stress until you have more data.

MG

Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I also forgot to put in my other response that I am having really BAD nightsweats again as well... And I was not getting those until around the week before I would start my cycle. Now all of a sudden I have them everynight and they are bad..

Also thru out most of the day and mainly in the morning hours I have extreme cold hands, toes, ears, and nose but my head feels hot and clammy.. Weird! But no fever. Actually my temp will be quite low in the morning hours. And then come up some in the afternoon...

Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Estrogen increases thyroid hormone binding properties. It causes the T4 to be more easily grabbed and converted into T3. This can result in lower T4 levels and higher T3 levels where you still have hypoT T4 issues like depression, anxiety, memory funk while getting the hyperT heart palps, sweats and insomnia. It is a nasty combination. You have to work to balance things. I have PCOS, Insulin Resistance, reactiove hypoglycemia as well as Hashimoto's and adrenal disease and well You don't need my medical history it might scare you .. .. so from experience you have to treat all together. PCOS was best treated by metformin XR versus birth control pills. The BCs were causing hormone induced migraines and many other issue that coincided with my cycles. Ovulation and my period week I would be hypoT and the weeks in between hyperT. It was crazy. Anyway I had to go off my BC a year ago per Neurologists orders. Metformin has mad a big difference in all the PCOS and hormonal issues. I had the same cold in the morning, hot head sensations that you describe as well before I got my T4 and T3 levels balanced through treatment of my adrenals, PCOS, and Hashimoto's-hypoT.

Are you on a glucophage? Did the check you for insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia?

MG

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Wow it does sound like you have been thru allot! But I totally relate. I think there is much more going on with me also but I just can't seem to find a dr who cares enough to take the time to figure it all out...

My primary dr is worthless and he is new. But I am loosing him due to insurance changes. So now I have to start all over and find a new primary. But the last time I was in I had them test my insulin and all of that so when I went back the other dr I saw (it is one of those offices where you see who ever is working that day) well the first thing he said to me was oh are you diabetic while looking at my labs!!!! I said urmmmm Nooooooo, not that I know of!! But I told him why they did those testings to maybe put me on the metformin but in the end he wouldn't do it. GRRRR.... He has to have everything approved by his superior and they would not approve the medication. All they did was send me for more labs and that is when those labs came back all messed up. And after calling my endos office he said my numbers were FINE!! HAHAHA. I give up...

So the only thing I am currently taking is the levo 125mcg and the 15mg of armour. I didn't change anything even with my last labs showing something going on. I stopped the birth control pills. And not sure if I should try again next month or what. I am sooo confused and feeling horrible as usual.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It can be very confusing. Obs are good with the PCOS and Insulin resistance Metformin treatment. My SIL helps me oversee my issues with my IM in direct management mode. I hate havign to change MDs. I will be driving back to see mine when I need too, once my move is complete. Luckily we are only moving 2 hours north.

I am VERY familiar with the medical practice you are used to... my mom had to go to one like that associated with her Medical insurance. I got her to change MDs and practices. The drive is a bit more, but at least she sees the same MD when she goes.

Look into all your MDs see who will change and who won't. If you have lab work confirming insulin resistance and PCOS, along with the symptoms your OB may be more sympathetic and willing to treat you. I wish I knew of good MDs in your area. None of my family in that area are MD/RNs so I am a bit out of the loop there. If you come to TN I can help you out.

I am truly hoping that things improve and you get the care you deserve SOON.

MG

Closed Thread