It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• methimazole has now made my thyroid hypo, my doctor wants me to stay taking the same

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
    greatday7
    (female)

greatday7 HB User
    methimazole has now made my thyroid hypo, my doctor wants me to stay taking the same

I have been taking methimazole for a few month now and now my last lab shows I am Hypo, my doctor wants me to stay taking the same amount of methimazole 30mg for the next three weeks and just be hypo. I'm tired alll the time and do not want to take 30 mg or be hypo now. I amworried it could begin to make my eye become more swollen or itchy. Doctor said I have Graves. Any advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: methimazole has now made my thyroid hypo, my doctor wants me to stay taking the s

He obviously has no concept at all of what being hypothyroid feels like, and he's too lazy to fine-tune your dose to get it right.

Go back and tell him that being hypo is unacceptable... that it's making your life unbearable... that you won't leave the office without a dose adjustment.

If he is looking only at your TSH level - which is likely - that's also unacceptable. He must look at your free T4 and free T3 levels as well. Those are the ones that doses should be adjusted by.

Having Graves' is tough enough without having a dumb doc add to the grief. Hope it gets better for you soon.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: methimazole has now made my thyroid hypo, my doctor wants me to stay taking the s

Yes I agree with midwest. Obviously he could lower you from 30 to 20 for 3 weeks. Doctors love (endos) to keep us hypo, it's safer, they think. If you know your free t 3 and 4 levels and they are low in the range, you should definitely be lowered.If you feel bad now, in 3 weeks you'll be worse, just speak up,you're employing him, or find an endo or another doc who cares somewhat of how you are feeling.

Closed Thread