It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• really confused my doc said i have a level of 120 points what is this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
    marisolsuarez
    (female)

marisolsuarez HB User
    Question really confused my doc said i have a level of 120 points what is this

ok so when i first started getting sick i had ALL of the HYPER simptoms so i was diagnosed with graves. i whent under radiation, after radiation i when down to HYPO so my doc prescribe me with 150 mcg of Levothyroxine so finally my doc said that i was a 3. something am not sure how to read the T3 OR T4 levels.
    once my levels where in normal range my doc put me on 125 mgs of levothyroxine just last mo i had my blood test and my doc said that my points where 100 so she said she will retest me in a mo so just yesterday they told me my levels where at 120 and i was at a .00001 something like that i dont get it. i know that am HYPER again because i can feel my heart beat fast and i get out of breath easily. so my doc has lowered my thyroid med to 100 mcg will this help bring my thyroid levels down so i can be between a 1-5.
    or will it work fater if i skip a couple of pills? because my doc said i was producing to MUCH thyroid so she lowered my Levothyroxine dosage but am confused if i am producing to much am i not supposed to get a bigger dosage to get my number down? instead of decreasing it? or am i not supposed to get a nother med to lower my number rather than just lowering my dosage.
    any advise will do thanks. i am 23 years old and i am a female i dont know if this info is important. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: really confused my doc said i have a level of 120 points what is this

How long ago was your radiation treatment? If it was less than 6 months to a year ago, I suspect that your gland is releasing stored hormone that had made you hyperthyroid again. The reason your thyroid dose was lowered is because it is the same hormone that your gland makes. You already have too much of that natural hormone; it doesn't make sense to me, either, why the MD is telling you to keep adding even more hormone to your system in the form of your daily pill. It seems that stopping the pill and maybe even prescribing an anti-thyroid med makes more sense. (But don't do that on my word. I'm just a layperson. You need to talk it out with your doctor before changing anything.)

Pardon me for saying so... You don't seem to have a firm grasp on how the thyroid is supposed to work, on the right levels/tests, or on what happens after treatment for Graves'. To get the best treatment, you should educate yourself on all of this, so you know when the MD is goofing up. You ought to get a copy of Thyroid for Dummies at your public library or bookstore. It explains all of the terminology and basics of thyroid function, tests, and disease in easy-to-understand language.

Hope it goes better for you soon!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
    marisolsuarez
    (female)

marisolsuarez HB User

i had my radiation treatment over a year ago.
    im sorry if i confused you my doctor lowered my prescription from 125mcg to 100mcgs so she lowered it because she said i was producing to much thyroid already.
    so am confused if i have a number of 120 and i am supposed to be between a 1-3 shouldent i get a different prescription to lower my nymbers instead of continuing with the same meds just less amount?
    i have the classic simptoms of my hyper
    which are anxiety
    i get out of breath quick because my heart beats fast
    and my hair is getting brittle.
    i had just grown my hair back because i lost so much hair after the iodine ratiation and i dont want to go thru that again.
    i will try to pick up the book in order get get more informed.
    but does any one else have the same problems with their thryroid being over 120 points.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

You need to get a copy of your lab tests so you know and then we could know what the 120 pertains to. You need your numbers and the lab ranges. As far as lowering the dose, yes if you become too hyper on replacement hormone, your doc would have to lower the dose, that's usually what's done. if the thyroid "free" hormones are high they lower it, if they are low they up the meds.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

You can call your doctors office and request a copy of your results.

Closed Thread