It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Tsh 86???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
    cali1892
    (female)

cali1892 HB User
    Tsh 86???

Hi,
    I'm new here. I was just told today that my TSH was 86. Does that make sense? They told me that my thyroid was not working at all and they were calling in an rx and wanted me to start it today. They also made an appt with an Endocrinologist for next month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
    marisolsuarez
    (female)

marisolsuarez HB User
    Re: Tsh 86???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali1892 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new here. I was just told today that my TSH was 86. Does that make sense? They told me that my thyroid was not working at all and they were calling in an rx and wanted me to start it today. They also made an appt with an Endocrinologist for next month.
    mines right now is 120 its supposed to be between a 1-5
    i have graves decease and i have already gone under radiation.
    it might be that ur thyroid is Hyper active. and do ck up with ur doc

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
    cali1892
    (female)

cali1892 HB User

I started taking levothyroxine 100mg three weeks ago. And I was just wondering how long does it take to start feeling better? The fatigue is kicking my butt!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
    cali1892
    (female)

cali1892 HB User

Ok, so I have been taking levothyroxine 100mg for 6 1/2 weeks now. I'm still having trouble keeping up at work. Fatigue, calf cramps, stiffness in muscles, weakness, muscle twitches, brain fog, dizziness, finger shakes, is this stuff ever gonna get better.
    Sorry, to be so whiney, just wondering if anyone else is about this far in their treatment and how they are feeling?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
    jmhky
    (male)

jmhky HB User

When I was diagnosed I only felt mild symptoms, but had a high TSH. I have been taking the medicine for a week and a half, and I am finally starting to feel O.K. The first few days of taking the medicine really sucked. My body kinda went nutz and I started suffering from Hypo symptoms that I had not suffered from before. I would think that after 6 weeks you would be feeling better, but I guess everyone's body reacts different to the medicine.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
    Linda1652
    Inactive
    (female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

I know more about thyroid cancer than thyroid disorders. But, I do know a TSH of 86 is extremely high. When we get off meds for scans, I believe it has to be at least 30. Your's is WAY over the top. Have you had a F T4 done? I would guess 100 mcg is too low of a dose if your thyroid is shot completely---like those of us without one. That's why you are still feeling lousy, I would guess. The meds kick in 6 to 8 weeks.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
    Spirits50
    (female)

Spirits50 HB User

If you have a high TSH means you are hypo......normal ranges 0.34---5.60
    in fact bad hypo, mine last lab was 97, 102 a few months ago. They got it down with Cytomel, but that has some nasty side effects. It's no wonder you feel so bad. I know I feel like crap almost everyday, I mean serious crap. There are T-factors that should be checked, all mine are out of whack. Most meds treat only T4 like synthroid,levoxyl........I finally got a doctor to put me on armour thyroid, (dessicated thyroid) and it targets all the T's so I have read. I have been hypo for over 14 years. Try to get the book Stop the Thyroid Madness, only online I think. But if its just your T4 thats out of whack it does take about 6- 8 weeks to start to feel better.
    Being Hypo really is the pits......hoping they find true help for all of us.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
    cali1892
    (female)

cali1892 HB User

I went to the endo for the first time last Thursday and he did alot of bloodwork. I think it was 11 vials of blood. I know he did T4 free, Vit d-3, 25-hydroxy, and many others. I go back to see him next Friday. I hope he does something.

So, if you don't have your thyroid anymore, how much levothyroxine do you take?

I'm brand new to this tsh, t4 stuff. I don't really understand it, other than it can take over your life.

Spirits50, are you having symptoms similar to mine?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
    Scootersmom
    (female)

Scootersmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali1892 View Post
    Hi,

Hi Cali. I was diagnosed a few months ago and my TSH was 60 - way up there. Have you been tested for Hashimoto's (auto-immune version of hypo?) My Hashi antibodies were through the roof and usually a high TSH goes along with high antibodies.

By the way, even with a TSH of 60 my thyroid is still working. What makes the doctor think yours is not working at all? The TSH isn't a hormone - what will give you a better picture of your condition are antibody tests, Free T4 and T3 - that'll tell the doctor what's working or not working.

I imagine if your thyroid wasn't working at all, you'd be unconscious on the ground as we can't live without either replacement hormones or some thyroid function. The TSH basically means that your pituatary gland is working overtime to tell your thyroid to make hormones.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
    cali1892
    (female)

cali1892 HB User

Scootersmom hi,
    As far as the thyroid not working, I have no idea. That's just what the neuro's office said. I had gone to a neuro first cause I am having alot of issues with dizziness, cog fog, numbness, etc.
    The endo that I was referred to did T3, T4 tests, and alot of others, I have not gotten the results back yet, I'll see him Friday. He did 11 or 12 different blood tests, I don't know if or which one is for Hasimotos?
    How do you feel? Did you have muscle aches and cramps? Fatigue? How do you feel now? Do you take levothyroxine? or what? I have heard others mention armour and other meds. I still have alot to learn about hypothyroidism.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
    Scootersmom
    (female)

Scootersmom HB User

Hi Cali. I take 50 mcg of Synthroid a day. I was on 75 mcg, but I felt "hyper" even though I'm hypo. I had shaking, heart palps, etc. so my dose was lowered to 50 mcg, which is a low dose for my type of Hashi/hypo. I don't take Armour because my endo doesn't want to add anything that will make me feel like I did on the higher dose of Synthroid.

I don't have all of the symptoms - I don't have muscle aches (but I take liquid Vitamin D and that has helped with that issue). I'm fatigued on occasion, especially in the mornings, but since I also carry antibodies for Graves (HYPER), I think the two auto-immune issues are cancelling each other out......for the moment.

I'm sure your doctor is testing for antibodies!! And yes, even though a high TSH indicates HYPOTHYROIDISM, that doesn't mean that you don't also have the antibodies for HYPERTHYROIDISM. Lots of us do.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
    Scootersmom
    (female)

Scootersmom HB User

Spirits, even though my endo doesn't want to give me Cytomel because she's afraid it'll give me the hyper symptoms I had on the higher dose of Synthroid, she may HAVE to because I'm not converting T4 to T3. You mentioned that Cytomel has some nasty side effects - could you tell me what bad side effects you experienced on Cytomel?

Thanks.

Closed Thread