It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Pretty odd case of subacute

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
    snorris
    (male)

snorris HB User
    Pretty odd case of subacute

Kind of a long story but stick with me because i need to know what is going on. First of all i will start out with who i am. I am a 20 year old male. Very healthy, not overweight, exercise everyday. I work as a helicopter flight instructor which i have been for 3 years. Back in mid December i started noticing tremors every once and a while but majority a sense of non well being and tiredness. it was almost like the tremors showed up every once and a while. The rest of the time i was considering myself to have the symptoms of hypo(but at this point i didn't know what was going on). so anyway through jan i received several cold viruses where sinus infections were a result. Bascially i got a few infections from jan-early march after i noticed the hypo symtoms. Becuase of this i was on about three diffeent antibiotics to take care of the infections. Well in jan i was sick of feeling tired so the doctor got some blood work up and the results were as follows.

tsh 5.57 normal was .49-4.67
    free t4 .78 normal was .61-1.12

with thyroid antibodies all normal. so after the result my general practicition perscribed levothroxine for the underactive thyroid. I was taking 25mcg from about mid jan till early march when all of a sudden the symptoms of hypo returned along with a huge thyroid and massive thyroid pain. I was in bed for about a week. From that point i got into a ear nose and throat doctor and they refered me to a endocrinologist after an ultrasound came back positive for an enlarged and inflammed thyroid. After the diagnosis with the endocrinologist we had blood work up and the tsh levels were 3.65 which were normal. So she called it subacture thryorits and perscriped 40 pills of steroids. Which is 40 mg a day for 4 days, 30 mg a day for 4 days and so on. and also told me to stop taking the levothryoxine. This first appointment with the endocrinologist was march 20th. So anyways march 20th was a friday. I felt good sat-tuesday. Then wednesday came along and i was bed ridden with thyroid pain again along with the symtoms of hypothyroism. so thursday i got more blood work up and it came back as tsh 6.19. Friday the 27th was so bad i was considiering going to the hospital but got a hold of the doctor and she told me to start up on the levothryoxine. Well anyways over the weekend i was bed ridden with pain and discomfort so got appointment today with the doctor. She mentioned to me that usually after the steroid people are back to normal and has not encoountered a situation like mine. She put me back on 40 mg a day of steroids and 75 mcg of levothroixine. I feel a little better but i really have missed 25 days of work and this should not happen to a 20 year old healthy male. Does anybody have an experience with this? What if after this next round of steoirds it still doens't take care of it. I am looking for any guidance as possible as i have been dealing with this for over three months and i can't afford it anymore. Being a pilot i only fly when i am in tip top shape and this has not been the case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
    Rita27
    (female)

Rita27 HB User
    Re: Pretty odd case of subacute

Hi, I don't really have an answer for you, but I was on the board and read your post. I am sorry you are dealing with this, esp. since you are so young. Have you had thyroid problems before? What do you mean when you say *thyroid pain*?

I would just say you may have to switch doctors. I did that several times because the first endo I saw was a jerk.

The other thing that comes to mind is maybe you have some CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) or something from the infections you had.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
    snorris
    (male)

snorris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rita27 View Post
    Hi, I don't really have an answer for you, but I was on the board and read your post. I am sorry you are dealing with this, esp. since you are so young. Have you had thyroid problems before? What do you mean when you say *thyroid pain*?

I would just say you may have to switch doctors. I did that several times because the first endo I saw was a jerk.

The other thing that comes to mind is maybe you have some CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) or something from the infections you had.

never had thyroid issues before. as i understand from research it is very very very rare for someone my age and being a male to get subacute thyroid problems. now if in fact i was hypo from mid december i read somewhere that low tsh levels can cause a decrease in the immune system. this could be responsible for the colds i got. up until december it was eight months before i was ill. WIth regard to chronic fatigue syndrom, my energy levels are there when i am on the levothroxine. the main concern i have is the enlargement and inflamation of the thyroid. By thyroid pain i mean throbing neck pain where the thyroid is located, this also entails hurinting when turning the neck and pretty much moving the neck at all. what has the doctor baffeled is that they did the inflamation blood work too and that came back normal. So they do not know what it is becoming so inflammed.

Last edited by snorris; 03-31-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Has anyone run TPO and Tg antibody tests? You need them before it can be decided that you have subacute (temporary) thyroiditis or whether you have Hashimoto's disease, which destroys thyroid tissue and causes permanent hypothyroidism. Signs of Hashi's may have been visible on the ultrasound. Was that condition mentioned on the report? It's possible for these antibodies to cause inflammation, and less commonly, pain. It's also possible that if you have Hashi's and continue taking the levoT without interruption due to an MD's whim, the inflammation just might subside without having to resort to steroids. There just seems to be too many unknowns about your diagnosis, IMO.

Also, even though you were told a TSH level of 3.65 is "normal", it isn't. A person who is in good health has a TSH of around 1. 3.65 would be hypothyroid for perhaps 98% of the population, so don't buy that bag of baloney.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I know the throbbing thyroid pain as I have had it in the acute & subacute phrase twice in my life. Aspirin was my life saver. I refused steriods because I have high blood pressure. You might ask your Dr. if you can use aspirin. I don't understand why your bloodwork doesn't show inflammation (mine did.)

You certainly need another DR. to look at you. Fam

Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
    snorris
    (male)

snorris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Has anyone run TPO and Tg antibody tests? You need them before it can be decided that you have subacute (temporary) thyroiditis or whether you have Hashimoto's disease, which destroys thyroid tissue and causes permanent hypothyroidism. Signs of Hashi's may have been visible on the ultrasound. Was that condition mentioned on the report? It's possible for these antibodies to cause inflammation, and less commonly, pain. It's also possible that if you have Hashi's and continue taking the levoT without interruption due to an MD's whim, the inflammation just might subside without having to resort to steroids. There just seems to be too many unknowns about your diagnosis, IMO.

Also, even though you were told a TSH level of 3.65 is "normal", it isn't. A person who is in good health has a TSH of around 1. 3.65 would be hypothyroid for perhaps 98% of the population, so don't buy that bag of baloney.
    throid antibodies results were the following

thyroperoxidase ab 1 normal is (<10)
    thyroglobulin ab <1 normal is (<4)

the main problem now is not the symptoms of hypo it is the pain in the neck. and even with high dose of aspirin and the steroids the inflamation has not gone down. which is odd becuase in the blood work the inflamation(esr) was a 7.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

How much aspirin have you been on? I took two regular aspirn every two hours around the clock when I had the acute pain. Check with your Dr. before doing that much aspirin. Fam

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
    snorris
    (male)

snorris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by famnd View Post
    How much aspirin have you been on? I took two regular aspirn every two hours around the clock when I had the acute pain. Check with your Dr. before doing that much aspirin. Fam
    i was taking about 2 pills every three hours. i am finding that advil extra strength works a little better. "how long will i need them? i have missed so much work as it is.

Closed Thread