It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• is 88 over 57 a low blood pressure and what do I do about it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
    dpayzant
    (female)

dpayzant HB User
    is 88 over 57 a low blood pressure and what do I do about it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: is 88 over 57 a low blood pressure and what do I do about it

This board deals with thyroid-related issues only.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
    dpayzant
    (female)

dpayzant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpayzant View Post
    Hi midwest, dpayzant here with the BP 88/57, and I do have hypo thyroidism (which is being treated with levothyroxin). The question I had was if low blood pressure might be a something that a lot of people with thyroid problems have. I was wondering if others with a thyroid disorder had a BP like mine and if it was a norm or low. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself enough with 1st post.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

If you are younger and otherwise healthy a low blood pressure is no big deal however, when you get older in your 60-70yr range and your arteries start to clog up or your body starts changing and slowing down you might need a pacemaker to keep it beating at a reasonable rate to keep you oxygenated....my dad had to have a pacemaker for that reason. It is not related to your thyroid issues.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree with Ann that if you're young, it's probably not an issue. But there are too many other serious conditions that can cause it to just assume it's thyroid-related. You should definitely check with your MD about it.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
    dpayzant
    (female)

dpayzant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpayzant View Post
    Hi midwest, dpayzant here with the BP 88/57, and I do have hypo thyroidism (which is being treated with levothyroxin). The question I had was if low blood pressure might be a something that a lot of people with thyroid problems have. I was wondering if others with a thyroid disorder had a BP like mine and if it was a norm or low. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself enough with 1st post.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
    dpayzant
    (female)

dpayzant HB User

Thanks Ann D, I am only a young 47 year old, and I appreciate the info. I have several different conditions or health issues that require meds, and I never know which of symptoms such as the low blood pressure are related or caused by which condition or the meds. I will be sure to mention it to my primary care Doc next visit after monitoring it for awhile. Thanks again and have a great day.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

You could post on the b/p board as well. Have you tried eating more salt & drinking 8 (8oz) of some kind of fluid during the day? Drinking 16 oz of fluid (what ever you like; avoid caffeine if possible) in a 15min period will raise your top number 20 points for two hours. I've done this when my usually high pressure has gotten too low because of my meds. This is a standard treatment for low b/p.

Measure out your salt intake & put it in a small salt shaker so you know how much salt you are eating. I would start with a tsp a day.

Fam

Closed Thread